Lecture in Progress
Lecture in Progress
An educational resource to inspire and inform the next generation of creatives and help them make better career decisions
An educational resource to inspire and inform the next generation of creatives and help them make better career decisions Read more
About this project
Lecture in Progress is an educational resource that exists to help the next generation of creatives make better career decisions. We do this by inspiring and informing them of the breadth of opportunities that exist in the creative industry.
Aiming to bridge the gap between education and work, Lecture in Progress looks to demystify the practical day-to-day workings of the creative world.
By delivering valuable and relevant insight and advice that can’t be found elsewhere, we aim to empower the next generation to find great jobs for them, in the industry they love.
Why does the world need Lecture in Progress? Simply because we believe more graduates should be finding work in the creative industry after graduation. We spent the start of this year talking to current students, recent graduates, tutors and people working in the industry and there was one recurring theme that emerged – there is currently a lack of understanding and awareness of the practical day to day workings of the creative industry.
How will Lecture in Progress help? To solve this problem, Lecture in Progress will demystify the creative world we work in. We will attempt to explain everything from the huge range of jobs that exist, to how people got into the industry and how much they are paid, right through to how a project comes together and taking a look into the studios and workplaces in which they happen.
Who is behind Lecture in Progress? Our team is spearheaded by founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson, supported by the teams at his current companies It’s Nice That and INT Works, both part of the HudsonBec Group. It’s Nice That is one of the most respected creative editorial platforms in the industry, and since launching as a student project in 2007 has grown to reach over 1 million people every month and holds an archive of over 17,000 articles about the creative world. INT Works is a creative agency providing creative consultancy to some of the world’s biggest businesses including Google, Nike, Uniqlo and the BBC. With this unique insight into what’s happening in the creative industry and the experience of building a career after graduation, we believe we are in a fantastic position to help the next generation thrive after graduation.
What is Lecture in Progress? An educational resource, centred around a website lectureinprogress.com and extending out into events, awards, creative funding and more.
Who is Lecture in Progress for? Aimed at current university students and recent graduates we will first provide content aimed at helping graphic design, illustration, photography, animation, film and advertising students. Our ambition is to broaden this remit as we grow.
How is it going to be funded? We see Lecture in Progress being funded by the people who need it - current students and recent graduates. We’re aiming to build a relationship with these members as the site grows and develops over 2017 to make sure we deliver the content they will find most valuable and that can’t be found anywhere else. We’re dedicated to testing editorial formats and iterating with our members to make lectureinprogress.com an essential tool for all creative students and graduates. Alongside these members we are also opening up opportunities for supporters, patrons and commercial partners who are interested in supporting the next generation of creatives.
Where can you see Lecture in Progress? To best demonstrate what we’re trying to do we’ve built the first version of the website that you can see at lectureinprogress.com. There you can get a sense of what kind of content we’ll be covering from original long-form articles and podcasts to curated videos and helpful links. From January 1st we will be regularly adding new content that will only be available to members.
Lets do it! We’re massively excited by the positive impact we can have to the lives of thousands of young people and with your help, we can help the next generation thrive.
OK, I’m in – how do I help? Simply pick a level of support to the right and you’ll receive the corresponding reward. We’ve tried to make it as simple as possible to get behind this project and hope you'll like the rewards we’ve made, many of which are only available on Kickstarter.
Enamel Pin Badges — Choose from one of ten designs from world-renowned creatives and wear it with pride as you show you were one of the first supporters of Lecture in Progress. The 25mm durable hard enamel pin badge is rose gold plated. Exclusively available to Kickstarter backers!
Advice Postcards — We’ve asked six creatives to share some advice to young creatives and made them into a set of A6 postcards. Exclusively available to Kickstarter backers!
Tote Bag —The Lecture in Progress tote comes in warm grey and is 100% cotton (260gsm) measuring 38 cm x 41 cm.
Annual Membership — Membership is split into two groups. All annual memberships will start in January 2017.
Student and Graduate Membership: Aimed at young creatives currently studying or who have graduated within the last three years. Student and Graduate members will have access to everything mentioned below.
Professional Membership: Aimed at people working in the creative industry that want to make a difference by supporting the next generation. Professional Members get full access to the website and archive, become part of the network, offers and promotions and help shape the future of Lecture in Progress.
- Full Access to the Website and Archive: Members receive full access to the website and archive, including the Journal, Advice, Feed and Watch sections. The content currently available on the site will remain free for everyone, but from January 1st we will be regularly adding new content that will only be available to members.
- Become Part of the Network: Every member will have their own log-in and section on the site to build their own profile, and connect with likeminded people to extend the support and advice on offer.
- Offers and Promotions: Members of Lecture in Progress will receive relevant offers and promotions throughout the course of the year – these will be anything from products and services to events and exhibitions.
- Invitations to Events: We aim to start programming events early in 2017, and these will only be available to members.
- Project Funding: Lecture in Progress will offer members the opportunity to apply for funding for their projects. Four times a year Lecture in Progress will receive submissions for funding and award projects a total of £5,000 across the year. Full details of how to apply will be released early in 2017
- Studio Visits: Each year Lecture in Progress will offer members exclusive access into studios across the UK. The studio visits will give members the chance to see the behind the scenes of a breadth of studios and workplaces as well as the opportunity to meet the people who work there.
- Awards Programme: In the spring of 2017 Lecture in Progress will launch their annual briefs for members. Set by established practitioners each brief will be judged by a panel of creatives invited by the creatives that set the briefs. This panel will then judge the work against a set criteria and award a series of awards for the most outstanding and notable work.
- Help Shape Our Future: From January 1st 2017 we will be testing editorial formats and iterating with our members to make lectureinprogress.com an essential tool for all creative students and graduates. All members will be invited to shape the future of the resource by suggesting topics, people and projects they would be interested in seeing and hearing from.
Gold Backer — We will launch the second series of podcasts in January 2017 and we're inviting you to come into the studio to hear one of the episodes being recorded and meet the guest. We'll discuss which episode at the start of next year, you'll be welcomed into the studio and meet the team. Please note we're based in London so you'll be responsible for organising travel and accommodation.
Founding Patron — Become one of the first patrons of Lecture in Progress. We'll credit you on the Kickstarter backers page on lectureinprogress.com as well as on the Info page of the site including a link, everything members get (including a full set of the enamel Kickstarter pin badges, you'll also be invited to the 2017 Annual Dinner with other patrons, fellows, collaborators and the team. Please note we're based in London so you'll be responsible for organising your own travel and accommodation.
Lifetime Patron — The BIG one, for a one off payment and demonstrating super support of Lecture in Progress you can become a patron for life! This includes everything founding patrons get above every year.
With the money raised we plan to continue to develop the website and resource, we will also build a small team (stating with an editor and project manager) as well as cover initial overheads and bills. Will is going to be leading and overseeing the day to day running of Lecture in Progress and will not be taking any salary from the money raised — dedicating every penny we can into improving and developing the platform.
Project Credits and Thanks — This project wouldn't have been possible without some amazing collaboration. We want to say a massive thank you to the teams at It's Nice That and INT Works, to Dan Powell who has worked tirelessly developing the website, Ed Andrews for filming and editing the video, Jake Green for his fantastic photography and Matthew Wilcock for editing the podcasts.
Risks and challenges
Over the last nine years we have built a good level of experience of running a successful editorial platform with It's Nice That. Having said that, we don't pretend to know everything and there will be of course things we cannot predict, but are confident our experience will enable us to tackle any obstacle thrown up by Lecture in Progress and deliver a fantastic first year for our members. For the physical rewards we are confident in our suppliers to ensure we ship them at the start of 2017. For the digital development of the website we are working with a developer we have worked with many times before and trust them to work with us to make lectureinprogress.com brilliant.
Our main focus after the Kickstarter physical rewards have been dispatched will be to dedicate our time and energy to the members and supporters of the site to make a positive impact on their careers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)