We all love fresh food. Freshly grown produce is crispy, juicy and bursting with flavor. It's full of nutrients and has no pesticides, chemicals or GMO. Growing at home is also a lot of fun, and connects the family with nature.
However, watering woes, lack of space, and climatic factors keep many away. Most new grow systems are either a token effort or are very demanding from the user. Others are subscription-based or expensive to run. We're here to change that and help you grow like a pro.
Cost of seeds : $3 Output Weight : 10.5 oz Output Market Price : $30
We're Altifarm Enverde, a crowdfunded startup. Our previous campaign for Altifarm was a success and we're here thanks to our backers. Today we're thrilled to announce
Grows fresh herbs, veggies and microgreens all year round. You may grow whatever you like and no subscription or recurring costs are involved. Herbstation is easy to use and harvesting fresh produce is super fun!
With our patent-pending self-watering system, all you need to do is just top up the water level every weekend or so. It stores water for 7-10 days and provides for on-demand watering, using capillary action and gravity. With root aeration, your plants will grow quicker and healthier. Also, our LED grow lights gives 100% autonomy from sunlight.
No pump/motor/power connection for water circulation and no clogging/sedimentation. No pH or conductivity check and no fungus/algae or damp corners at home.
- 3W High-power, energy efficient OSRAM chip LEDs with custom secondary optics.
- Full spectrum White + Far Red + Deep Blue wavelengths.
- Magnetic Mounting, first time in the industry.
- Daisy Chain wiring kit + IP65 rated water-proof driver/ power supply.
By providing plants exactly the wavelengths that are required for various growth stages, we boost their growth while reducing power consumption and eliminate wasted heat energy.
- Stores water for 7-10 days and waters on demand, automatically.
- Works with gravity/ capillary action. No electricity, water connection, or pump involved.
- No under watering or over watering, no guesswork.
- Better root oxygenation for healthier plant growth.
- One touch height adjustment with auto-locking.
- Multiple heights and positions to choose from to suit a wide range of plants.
- Ergonomic positioning and gives plants easy access to grow lights.
- Protects plants from extreme climate; regulates temperature, humidity and CO2.
- Roll-up doors with zipper and velcro closure.
- Limited protection from pets, children and certain pests.
- Neat design with discrete spherical wheels.
- Includes position locking and height-leveling mechanisms.
1. Soil-based: Grow like you always did - use soil from the yard or buy from a store and use seeds , seedlings or plant cuttings. You may fortify it with manure, fertilizer or compost. Inbuilt self-watering system will water from below the soil using capillary action, and you need not worry about watering for 7-10 days.
2. Soil-less: Grow like an expert - use a sterile medium like coco-peat or rock-wool and mix hydroponic nutrients in water, for unbelievably quick plant growth. You need to check all parameters of water and nutrients thoroughly. Watering is through self-watering system as above, no pumps or circulation involved.
3. Seed Pod: Grow for fun - get growing with the least effort, using Seed-pods with pre-infused nutrients, from certain manufacturers. All you need to do is to drop the pod (which comes with seeds) into the self-watering cones in the Herbstation and add water.
Studies have proven that plants make people more productive, boosts creativity and reduces stress. They also reduce noise levels and balances humidity. Some plants purify the air, while others keep mosquitoes and other insects away.
If growing edibles is not your thing, you may grow garden plants on Herbstation- ornamental and florals, exotics and medicinal varieties, succulents or #plantsofinstagram. Whatever you may choose, our ingenious Self-watering and LED grow lights would let your plants thrive.
Unlike many other systems, Herbstation does not limit what you could grow. From microgreens, salads, herbs to certain varieties of root vegetables like carrots and beetroot. Even growing tall plants is possible as tub heights are easily adjustable. Only limitations might be those with very deep roots.
Microgreens are the most sought-after super foods now. Studies show that microgreens pack 40 times the nutrients than a full-grown plant. They are easy to digest, offer an intense flavor and rich nutrition, and are versatile to use.
We are Altifarm Enverde, a crowdfunded startup. We strive to offer a healthier and wholesome way of life to all. We believe in Your Right to Grow, Anywhere, Anytime. With Herbstation, we applied the learning from our first product to make home farming more approachable and adaptable to a wider audience.
A peek into the creative process
Product Development Journey
Herbstation is a distillation of everything we have learned with interaction with Altifarmers in 5 continents, while Altifarm itself came to life in 4 years. We have obsessed over every little detail and fine-tuned every function to make Herbstation a complete indoor gardening solution. Barring LED chips and driver, every single item in the box is custom manufactured to our specifications. This includes special polymer blends and coatings; even the PVC/PE film for the greenhouse is made to order and then tailored by our supplier. We are probably the only manufacturer of grow systems whose grow lights are NOT made in China; custom wiring kits and optical lens were developed.
We have come a long way from the first sketch in 2014. Altifarm then and Herbstation now.
We have been working overtime to get Herbstation to backers during Autumn 2019. Like other Altifarmers, you must be able to grow this winter with your Herbstation!
Do you know that the loss of nutritive value of certain food items is more than 50% from farm to fork? Or that food travels for over 1500 miles on an average and has a significant carbon footprint? Also that the crop varieties in commercial farming are prioritized for shelf life and not for nutrition, while we miss out on local, organic and heirloom varieties of plant varieties.
Homegrown produce is rich in nutrients, especially in phytochemicals, anti-oxidants, vitamin C, vitamin A and folates. There’s only the joy, pride and delightful consumption with no chemicals, pesticides or GMO to worry about. Besides it’s a great way to engage the whole family- particularly children, in an enjoyable hobby, while connecting with nature.
This project is promoted by Jellop, the ad tech power behind the best Kickstarters with 750+ successful Kickstarter projects with over $330MM raised between them
Risks and challenges
With our previous campaign, although we were able to almost ship out in time, there was delay due to malware attack/shutdown at the sea terminal which cost us about 2 weeks. Further, the last mile delivery estimates given to us were off by a multiple of 3 which resulted in further delay and heartbreak both in N.A. and E.U.
We are armed with these learnings and are better prepared. Compact packaging dimension is the cornerstone of Herbstation's design, which makes shipping simpler.
Although pilot production is complete, we still have work to do in tooling and serial production. Like any other development project, there could be delays and setbacks. However, we promise transparency and truth at every step. We shall try to share photos of milestones as updates wherever possible.
Environmental commitmentsVisit our Environmental Resources Center to learn how Kickstarter encourages sustainable practices.
- (30 days)