- Have you ever looked at a wine list and had no idea what to order?
- Have you ever tasted a craft beer worth sharing?
- Have you ever wanted to re-create an amazing cocktail?
More than a year ago, Shindig set out to answer a small but universal question: what should I order to drink?
Helping drinkers answer this, we are creating a much larger community for drinkers, bartenders and brewmasters everywhere.
A community for all the world's drinkers
Shindig is a mobile community of drink explorers who keep track of what we drink, share recipes and recommend brands. Shindig can help you:
- Keep a handy, beautiful journal of all the drinks you try.
- Follow brewmasters, drink writers and friends to discover new drinks.
- Learn more about what you're drinking, "tapping" the knowledge and taste of the Shindig community.
- Keep a wish list of all the drinks you want to try.
- Craving a Bloody Mary? See which nearby bars and restaurants serve that drink.
Why We Need Your Support
Drinking is supposed to bring friends together, but, with only an iOS app, half our friends have been left out in the cold. Too many apps say "Android coming soon" and it never comes.
So we've teamed up with New York's premier Android development shop Touch Lab to bring Shindig to Android. We could have done a quick and easy iPhone port but we want to do it right. That's why we reached out to the best to build a beautiful, native version of Shindig designed specially for Android. They have worked with the Associated Press, Timehop and Kickstarter success story 1 Second Everyday. They are pros. And they are drink explorers so they want this as much as we do.
To our knowledge this is the first app to turn to its iPhone community to help build an Android version. But it makes sense. The more the merrier for all of us. Let's make history together.
Rewards!!! Brewery Tours, Mason Jars, Private Chef Dinners.
Besides that gooey feeling of helping build a community, we have a bunch of awesome perks:
How does it work exactly?
From the start, we worked hard to keep Shindig simple. Most drink apps are tailored towards aficionados and make you fill out an IRS-like form every time you want to remember a drink. Not Shindig.
(1) Snap a photo of your drink. (2) tag your drink from our database of 70,000 beers, wines and spirits. That's it! A few taps and you're done so you can get back to drinking.
If you want, add an optional location and tasting note. You can even dress up your drink in a sombrero or bow tie. Drinking is supposed to be fun.
Even better, everything is crowdsourced so our drink explorers are adding new drinks to our database everyday.
Our development philosophy
1. Keep it simple
We looked at a lot of drinking apps. Most were overly complex and tailored towards aficionados. We wanted to keep ours simple, useful and fun. We want the value to be both persona and a by-product of the incredible community we have built.
2. Build and ship fast
So far, we've shipped 19 versions of Shindig in 14 months. That's incredibly efficient for a small team. It's because we believe in rapidly iterating to create a better product that responds to our members.
3. Listen to the community
We would be nothing without our community. That's why we are committed to talking to our drink explorers and building each new version with their feedback. Don't believe us? Harry's personal phone number is built into the app. Call him anytime with your booze-infused ideas. Trust us, his girlfriend doesn't mind.
We believe this is more than a photo-sharing app. This is a movement. A pledge to step outside your comfort zones, support local brands and try something new.
So join the club and raise a glass to everyday exploration.
Help us spread the word
Love and mojitos,
Risks and challenges
Building a mobile app is harder than it looks. Apps you love (like Instagram and Foursquare) have teams of dozens of engineers. We have one. Luckily, he is really good.
We see three main challenges for engineering the app moving forward:
1) Fast and reliable search - This is central to the Shindig experience. Making an app fast and accurate is a challenge. For example, let's say someone searches "Dog fish" instead of "Dogfish." Will Dogfish Head's 60 Minutes IPA still show up? As more drinks are added to our database, this will become more difficult. Big props to Google for making this look easy. We want to make this easy for you.
2) Keeping the data clean - We wanted Shindig to be community-driven from the start, allowing drinkers to add their own drink creations to our database. As we add more users, keeping the data accurate and accessible will be a challenge.
3) Offline - Dive bars and sports stadiums have crappy service, so we want drink explorers to be able to record their drinks even when they are off-line.
In addition, Android has very different design conventions than iOS. Building a beautiful Android experience will be a challenge, but our users deserve the effort.
With a community of drink explorers on our side, we can get this done. And you will have an even better time on Shindig.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)