Tabletop Role Playing (RPG) inspired by & exploring the moral challenges, relationships and fast action of classic superhero comics.
Tabletop Role Playing (RPG) inspired by & exploring the moral challenges, relationships and fast action of classic superhero comics. Read more
About this project
Super-science, Metahumans and magic come together to create a rich comic book world uniquely its own and maintaining the hallmarks of the genre. Superheroes protect the world from mad mutants. Evil organizations, bent on world domination, corrupt government groups that seek to control Metahumans or have them neutralized, and intergalactic conquerors seeking to harvest the Earth for their own reasons.
Using the Open Action System Players are able to create virtually any hero they can imagine. With rules for running individual heroes or creating their own world class superteam, the Open Action System is designed for fast creative play that rewards characters for their backgrounds, talents, and creativity.
What to see where the Open Action System got it's start? Fractured Kingdom, a game of mysticism and conspiracy in the dark future and Pay What You Want through this Kickstarter campaign.
Fractured Kingdom (Pay What You want)
Set in a world of superheroes Metahumans Rising is a self contained tabletop role-playing game. Powered by the Open Action system Metahumans Rising rewards compelling backgrounds and stories allowing players to pull from their character's history to directly impact the larger narrative.
Drawing on iconic elements of the superhero genre Metahumans Rising creates a unique world while staying true to it's roots. Our story begins when the world changed when German forces released the chemical agent Kaiser Box during World War I unknowingly giving birth to a new era of superbeings known as Metahumans.
The world has evolved with the number of Metahumans growing with each generation. In the modern era the Atlas Group, a think tank devoted to Metahuman research, estimates roughly seven hundred Class B and above Metahumans worldwide. Individuals who demonstrate powers or abilities beyond the scope of natural human potential. Some like the vicious Mock and his Brood, who seeks to punish the world for the cruelties he has suffered. Others, heroes able to rise to the challenge to protect the powerless.
How did we get here though?
The core book contains a timeline of events. Starting 1918 with the release of Kaiser Box through the 2009 "Terraforming Event". An alien incursion that took many of the world's hero's with it. How can 91 years of superheroics be incomplete though?
Because, it needs your heroes!
The timeline is designed for players and GMs to add new characters and new adventures. It allows players to pick up anywhere along the way from the masked men of the pulp era to battling bio-enhanced tech pirates on an orbital base.
Filled with plot ideas and events to trigger new stories the timeline is there not as a static piece of window dressing but a document meant to be customized to tell your hero's stories.
Because every superhero is a symbol the Open Action System has been updated for superheroics. Any talent no matter how small can make the difference in a struggle. Fast paced rules allow for dramatic chase scenes. Background characters give GMs easily scalable threats ranging from street gangs to giant robots. We know that not every battle is a slug-fest between supers. Metahumans Rising also includes rules for handling disasters, natural or otherwise.
What Else is In There?
17 Adventure Seeds, short story descriptions, similar to how an issue of a comic book may be discussed. Adventure seeds are designed to kick off a night of adventure or longer campaigns.
11 Organizations ranging from the corrupt Bureau of Metahuman Affairs to the terrifying Chimera who see the genetic code as a tool long overdue for replacement.
7 Independent villains including the psychotic gadgeteer Citizen Red and the tragic arcanist Michael Fhage, willing to unmake all of reality if it would mean the return of his lost family.
5 Alien races from the intergalactic merchants the Ar'Dysis to the empire that spreads across the stars led by the psychic Zo.
2 Superpowered villain teams, the freakish Brood and Wrath's Dogs a team of elite Metahuman mercenaries.
1 Hidden location with details on culture, traditions and story ideas on introducing it to your campaign.
Dave Silva: The lead game designer, writer and owner of House Dok Productions. Developer of the Open Action System, a skill based resolution system. The Open Action System rewards both dedication and diversity. The engine behind the Fractured Kingdom, a game of conspiracy and mysticism in the dark future. Debuting in 2013 Fractured Kingdom has received multiple positive reviews. Upcoming projects include Glass Shadows, a high-tech game of global control and Metahumans Rising, recreating the action and drama of classic superhero comic books.
Want to learn more about Metahumans Rising, the Open Action System or other games developed by House Dok Productions?
Bonnie G is a freelance artist based out of Gainesville Florida. She studied at the Rochelle School of the Arts, Harrison School for Visual Arts and is currently finishing her degree at the Savannah College of Art and Design with a concentration in sequential art. Bonnie's passion for art began with her enrollment in Rochelle from the beginning of her schooling. A collection of Bonnie's work:
Kickstarter Video by Pixelpie
We have some great stretch goals lined up to help expand the world of Metahumans Rising.
- $5,200: Expanded Artwork: Expand the world of Metahumans Rising with added character portraits and timeline snapshots.
- $6,400: The Dread of Bayou Sauvage (Writer Sam Chupp) Your team has been called to New Orleans, where there have been recent strange, serial murders: victims found bled out, bizarre suicides, deaths by mauling, and a body literally crushed flat as if it had gone through a steel press with claws. The bar-room gossip, the word on the street, and the recent urban legends whisper of werewolves, ghosts, hellfire-wreathed revenants, swamp monsters and worse. If you ask those who are tuned to such things, they will tell you that "spiritual activity" is at an all-time high. Out on Bayou Sauvage the vegetation has grown up nearly overnight. A satellite photograph shows the outline of a strange, manta-ray shaped object roughly the size of a basketball court is underneath all that vegetation. Could this be the start of a new invasion? Is it some strange creature from another world? Or is it a fell beast from the Prince of Darkness himself? Free PDF Adventure for all Backers.
- $7,600: Comic: Trouble Under the Potomac explore the origins of Steel's Pride. Eight heroes drawn together to stop the abductions of Metahumans by the evil Chimera. (This may or may not include corrupt government agencies, mutant dogs, a pair of biomechanical dragons, mind controlled heroes and a mad scientist.)
- $8,800: Metahumans Rising Character Collection (Writer YOU!) We will collect character submissions from all of our backers $65, and up,along with the Print Early Adopters ($30) to create a collection of characters, heroes and villains along with heroes from the Metahumans Rising Timeline to be laid out and illustrated free to all backers.
- $10,000: Comic: Enter the Strajă Members of Steel's Pride are caught in a trap. What began as preventing an armed robbery becomes a battle for survival against a trio of giant robots programmed to destroy.
- $11,000: Through the Looking Glass (Writer Eloy Lasanta) The walls of reality are collapsing. Different dimensions are colliding in strange and unpredictable ways. Jump between worlds to find the source of these escalating catastrophes before it's too late. Free PDF Adventure for all Backers.
Stretch Goal Authors
Sam Chupp: An Origin-award winning game designer, best known for his contributions to the OWoD (Book of Nod, Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Mage: the Ascension, Wraith: the Oblivionand Changeling: the Dreaming), though he has credits for White Wolf, Steve Jackson Games, Holistic Design, and Grey Ghost Games. He's been a GM since age 8, but his style has evolved over the years a bit. His most recent work was a systemless sourcebook for espionage in a fantasy world called Encryptopedia, available through DriveThruRPG. He also recently wrote for the Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Edition Kickstarter by Onyx Path.
Eloy Lasanta: Game designer out of Tampa, Florida and mind behind Third Eye Games, makers of games like Wu Xing: The Ninja Crusade, Mermaid Adventures and AMP: Year One. He also freelances for several other gamelines and is excited to add Metahumans Rising to his resume. Eloy’s bound to have a unique take on the setting, so buckle your seat belts.
Risks and challenges
The principle writing for the core book is almost complete. The creation process doesn't stop there though. The Kickstarter will allow us to provide more of the amazing art you've seen, along with take care of the editing, layout and print costs.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)