High Cotton is a southern gothic feature film set in Georgia. It's shot & edited, now we need your support to finish it.
High Cotton is a southern gothic feature film set in Georgia. It's shot & edited, now we need your support to finish it. Read more
REVENGE IS NOT ALWAYS SWEET
High Cotton is a thriller about two criminals, one a true southerner, the other a transplant from Manchester, England. The cautionary tale follows the former cellmates from county jail to running drugs and ultimately into a tangled web of revenge and the search for redemption.
We shot High Cotton in 23 days in 7 southern towns. We have an honest, brutal and surprising film in the can and now we need your support to help us complete it.
Your support will help finance key aspects of post production including sound design, color-correction, music composition by Christian Wood and key art to be used in posters and promotional materials. We will also use supporter funds for copyright, title search and other legal costs along with errors & omissions insurance. Tough lessons from our first foray into independent film distribution.
Your funding will help us screen strategically in two key cities for a limited run. A theatrical release will help generate reviews form respected critics, and help us push the film out to a much wider audience. You will also help us submit the film to major film festivals as well as to market and distribute the film to audiences in the south and nationally.
We learned a lot of hard lessons our first time out. A division of one of the major distributors released it. We are blessed to have had it picked up, but ultimately we wanted to have more involvement in the marketing, advertising and key art creation. With High Cotton we want to maintain some control over how this film is brought to market and that's why we're running this campaign.
In addition to Kickstarter - we are partnering with an experienced sales agent to help us navigate the marketing and distribution process, domestically and internationally. We have a bunch of friends that have experience distributing films the way we want to do it.
Learn more about the film @ HighCottonMovie.com
We have an incredible cast including Mark Ashworth (Lawless), Jody Thompson (The Bay), Randy McDowell (Justified), Elizabeth Davidovich (Hunger Games), Russell Comegys (Solace), Solomon Olds (Family Force 5), Ben Amick (Cartoon Network writer,director), as well as powerful performances from genuine southerners in their first film roles.
CLICK TO TWEET & SHARE
WHO WE ARE
Spyplane Films began 8 years ago making commercials and projects for television. Ken Horstmann has been directing in the film and television industry for 20 years, this is his second feature.
Learn more about our first film here:
Watch Upside on Netflix
WHAT'S UNIQUE ABOUT OUR FILM
- We’ve already shot the film. Which means the riskiest part is over! So your support will be going towards finishing and distributing an already high-quality film. The longest process in post is editing, and it's done!
- A Unique Voice. By supporting High Cotton, you’ll be helping to support a strong and unique southern voice in cinema. Our goal was to tell the truth as much as possible while also exploring spirituality from a different perspective in an environment Flannery O'Connor famously called the Christ-Haunted American South.
- We self-funded this entire project up to this point. We’re not asking you to put money into something that we haven’t already personally and financially backed ourselves.
- Experienced Creatives! This is the second feature for our writer/director and the two lead actors are highly experienced on some of the biggest movie sets. Mark Ashworth & Jody Thompson have been in front of the camera and on stage their entire lives. They were also very involved in the writing process of this film. It's a very personal project for them also!
- You can be part of the launch of our Premiere! We shot the entire film outdoors. Our intention with High Cotton has always been for people to see our film in a unique setting - under the stars so that you can feel a part of the action on screen. Call it a Red Clay Premiere. When we release our film we will have a series of screenings in outdoor venues across the south.
A FILM TO RAISE AWARENESS
700,000 prisoners will be released back into our communities this year.
This film grew out of community involvement at our county jail. We lead a program for men in lockup once a week. The programs aim is to help men establish a strong definition of manhood that leads them to make better decisions. The stories the prisoners tell us each week are nothing if not dramatic. While the film is completely original, some of the inmates stories make up the setting, situations, back-story and plot for the film.
One of the southern actors in our film told us High Cotton sounded like his life story. Before we had finished shooting, he was back in prison. We completed the film without him & for him, and for many like him.
By supporting this film you will also help us raise awareness of the high rates of recidivism and what can be done to help in our over-crowded jails.
FOR INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES, CONTACT US.
WANT TO HELP, BUT CAN'T DONATE?
There are several ways you could still support High Cotton:
- Share our campaign on Facebook, Twitter, via email, or any other network you have access to! And use #highcottonmovie
- Know someone who's into southern gothic and might be interested in the film? Please send them a link to the campaign!
- Share on Facebook!
- Share on Twitter!
- Follow on Instagram!
Thank you for your support!
BANNERS TO SHARE
Risks and challenges
Making a low-budget independent film is a tough business. We’ve already braved heat waves, heavy rain and remote locations to get this film shot. The biggest challenge we face now is to get this film through post-production and out to audiences both regionally and abroad.
In order for us to pitch the film to potential partners, we really need your help now in this critical phase.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)