How It's Made + ElevationDock 2 + NanoPads + Apple's New Docks + Bitcoin
Five things for you today.
1. Bet you didn't think manufacturing could be so beautiful - see how Elevation Dock is made.
2. Right after Apple debuted Lightning, we designed Lightning Adapters to retrofit your ElevationDock and have shipped them for cost. This was never as good as our custom low-friction 30pin connectors, as the force to undock is more than the Dock's weight. We don't talk about products in development, but I will open up about this - for the past year, we've been designing, prototyping and tooling different low-friction Lightning connectors (full zinc die-casts, exotic over-molding, etc.), even made some crazy designs that look completely different than Apple’s. But making them loose enough to overcome the weight of the dock introduces intermittent charging, stability, and durability issues. Frustrating. But now we have something better...
Introducing ElevationDock 2! Defies gravity, locks to your desk - its the best undocking yet. Keeps the minimal industrial design of the original and ships in new frustration-free packaging.
The bottom of ElevationDock 2 has NanoPad, a state-of-the-art material that grips your desk hard with thousands of nano-size air vacuums. It works on any smooth non-porous surface like your desk, nightstand, even your window. It will not work on porous surfaces like cloth, unfinished wood or heavily textured surfaces. The smoother the surface, the harder it holds. If it gets dirty/dusty, it will lose adherence, but you can wipe it clean with a moist towel and let it air dry. Made for us in Japan. I think you'll really like them - we've had a lot of people testing them and they work great.
Get ElevationDock 2 here. Makes a great gift for anyone with an iPhone.
Have an ElevationDock with a Lightning Adapter already in it? Get NanoPad by itself for $7 shipped. We also have new Lightning Adapters - they adjust to fit Apple's new thicker 2m cord, installs easier, and ships with a NanoPad.
3. Apple launches separate docks for iPhone 5s & 5c! They don't work with cases, don't come with a required cord, all-plastic, only fit that phone, and undocking is a two handed operation. Its schadenfreude and I love Apple, but their worst reviewed product is the best reason to get an ElevationDock 2.
4. Now accepting Bitcoin! Get the best dock for iPhone for a small fraction of a BTC. Take it with you on that bitcoin funded Virgin Galactic trip - ElevationDock 2's NanoPad will work great in space!
5. Questions for a couple hardware projects - Any feedback is really helpful!
1) Do you raise your 27” iMac or Apple display for better comfort/ergonomics? What do you raise it with and how high do you like it?
2) Have you switched from a Magic Mouse because it wasn't comfortable? Maybe I'm the only one.
3) Do you use an external USB DAC with your headphones? What's your music source?