THE HOLY HEN HOUSE MAGAZINE
A DWELLING PLACE FOR WOMEN OF FAITH IN EVERY SEASON
Holy Hen House was co-founded in 2012 by a house-hopping women’s Bible study. We felt a great need to be built up in our faith, our marriages, and our parenting journeys, while also using our gifts in a creative way. As the physical distance between some us grew, we decided to take our encouragement online to keep in touch. We soon discovered that many other women were looking for the same thing! Since that initial creation of Holy Hen House, we have welcomed women that have gone before us and the next generation to join us in our writing space.
What began as a simple blog has now grown into an online and in-person ministry. Each year, through the grace of God, we grow in leading Bible studies, speaking in public, planning events, and building a sisterhood that every woman needs. For our next project, we need your help. It isn't our magazine. It's yours!
WHY A MAGAZINE?
The Holy Hen House Magazine is an invitation for women to take a step back from online noise (or any kind!) and dwell in the pages of our seasonal publication inspired by God’s Word.
Women have a deep need for Christian women to mentor them throughout their lives and unfortunately, this is not always met.
We spur women on with the Word of God to approach the Bible with confidence, share Jesus with grace, and speak chatter that matters in a noisy world.
"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24
Up until this point, women were primarily coming to our blog for faith inspiration. However, the amount of distraction that comes from being on a device can also lead women to a whole list of negative affects such as anxiety, lower self-esteem, and an inefficient use of time.
Now, don’t get us wrong: we believe that technology can be a great blessing - and even have it to thank for the roots of our ministry - but research has compelling reasons to discern its use.
How does our community take in content? Are we using our gifts and time well?
Our quarterly magazine is a dwelling place for women in every season to be spurred on by the Word of God. You see, it's so much more than a magazine. We encourage you to make it your own by making use of the sections for prayer lists and sermon notes, while also being inspired as you dwell with the articles and other devotionals.
Our hope is that flipping through the pages will lead you to:
- SLOW DOWN. Time is fleeting. Before we know it one season fades into another. A quarterly publication allows women to read our content in a slower-paced atmosphere. We are committed to solid content inspired by God’s Word that will be a valuable use of your time. Take our magazine with you during quiet time in your favorite chair, your small group Bible study, or even to church to jot down sermon notes. Come back later to fill in prayer and gratitude lists and document how God’s glory shows up in your every day.
- FEWER DISTRACTIONS. Compare having a book in your hands to a web browser with multiple window tabs open or social media notifications ringing. Technology is convenient but it is certainly distracting. Content on a device can be consumed and shared with a click of a button or command. However, what is the quality of the relationship? Is the information quickly forgotten? This method of taking in information often leads to aimless "wandering", scrolling through an endless stream of mindless memes and advertisements. There is an undeniable difference between reading an article online and a tangible booklet in your hands where you can focus your soul and mind.
- FIND CONTENT IN A CENTRAL LOCATION. This is more than just a magazine. As stated above, there will be space for you to add your own thoughts and notes that pertain to the current season of life that you are in. Instead of having to click online to access each individual part of our content, you will find it at the flip of a page in your hands. Our devotional articles, Bible studies, interviews, Q&A, Hymn/Art studies, and photography will all be in one place for you to enjoy and then refer to again later. Making notes among these pages will be a great way to document your faith journey and see how God has worked throughout the different seasons of your life.
- BE A CONTRIBUTOR. Are you a writer, photographer, artist, or creative? We highly encourage anyone interested in using her gifts in our published magazine to submit content (articles, poetry, art, photography, etc.) for us to consider. Submissions for our winter premier issue are closed but in the case that this campaign is successful, we are already in the planning stages for our spring 2020 issue. We are delighted to create this resource with other women to dwell on God’s grace in our lives and impact generations for His glory!
Here’s a closer look at what you’ll find inside:
PRINT MAGAZINE SPECIFICATIONS
- 8.5 x 11
- 64 soft touch matte 70# interior pages
- Perfect bound (glued at the binding edge) 80# soft touch matte cover
- No paid advertisements
IN EVERY ISSUE THERE WILL BE
- God’s Word
- Creative Writing | Poetry
- 6-week Bible Study
- Women of Faith | Mentor Interview
- Question + Advice Column
- HHH Community Chatter
- Custom Bible Verse Printable Insert to frame
- Art Study with Historical Background
- Faith-based Devotionals from Holy Hen House writers or maybe even you!
- Hymn Study with Piano Accompaniment MP3 Download by Amanda Rose
- Custom Illustration to Color by Corissa Nelson Art
- Seasonal + Lifestyle Photography from Fresh Frame Photography, Mel Anne Designs, Devon Rose Photography, and others!
- Single Month Calendar including a faith challenge for gratitude, prayer, seasonal activities, community, etc.
- Monthly Journal Pages for Prayer + Sermon Notes
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT TO BRING THIS MAGAZINE HOME AND IMPACT GENERATIONS
We will not receive any of the pledged funds if our Kickstarter goal is not met.
It's 0% or 100%.
Publishing a magazine not only requires a certain amount of grit and vision, but it also comes with a steep cost. Therefore, we are asking for your help to make this magazine a reality. Want to link arms (wings?) and help us launch? Here's how!
1. Pray for us. We are so grateful for all the ways God has matured HHH over the years. New things and changes can still be hard. The enemy is working whenever there is a plan for God's glory. Please pray that our aim to reach women's hearts for God's glory may be accomplished and that our team maintains unity through all of the decisions and preparations. Jesus is our focus and foundation.
2. Pledge financial support based on one of our reward tiers in the sidebar or below! We are so grateful for the ways you have supported us through the years and trusting us to try new things. The HHH team is working with all of our heart to craft this with excellence. Printing the first issue comes with large costs and decisions. This is why we are asking for prayers and support as we share this valuable resource.
3. Share our campaign. We can't do it alone! Please consider taking action along with your prayers to share our campaign using the link above on social media, emails, or even by word of mouth. We love seeing women use their gifts and encouraging one another in their faith. This magazine would certainly not exist without this amazing community of women! We thank God for you!
Now that you know about the heart and vision of the magazine, take a look at the rewards we've created to complement it.
PLEDGE REWARD ITEMS
HOLY HEN HOUSE MAGAZINE | COMFORT + JOY | Premier Issue 01
HHH BIBLE VERSE POSTCARDS
HOLY HEN HOUSE STICKERS
HOLY HEN HOUSE APPAREL
"HEN" MAUVE LONG SLEEVE TUNIC | Rally the hens! This ladies long sleeve tri‑blend tunic is as soft as it is fashionable! The raglan sleeves, long length, and wider rib neck will allow you to walk, run, or even jump with confidence and comfort. A slightly distressed hen logo gives it a funky, vintage feel. Fits true to size.
- Longer tunic length with a flattering scoop neck and a curved hem
- 50/25/25 poly/combed ringspun cotton/rayon tri-blend material
- Tear-away tag
- Rib knit elongated cuffs
"HOLY" GOLD CREWNECK SWEATSHIRT | This bold sweatshirt comes with an even bolder message: "HOLY" on the front and "HEN HOUSE" printed in the background. What is it that makes us so holy, anyway? Well, we would be the first ones to tell you – it is not anything we’ve ever done! It is completely by God’s grace that we are considered pure and set apart. When God looks at us he doesn’t see our mistakes or sinful stained hands, He sees the pure holiness of His own Son shining.“It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. ” — I Corinthians 1:3
- Sweatshirts are made from an 8-oz, 50/50 cotton/polyester blend.
- Pill-resistant, air-jet yarn helps to promote long-lasting wear.
- Features a traditional crewneck collar and set-in sleeves
- Designed with a spandex-enhanced collar, waistband and cuffs for a more flexible fit.
HHH SPEAKING SESSION - 2HRS
Enjoy 2 hours with one of our speakers encouraging women of faith at a small event, a moms' group, or during a group Bible study. If you're near Milwaukee, Wisconsin or want to cover travel, the speaker can come to you. Some topics include: uniting as women of faith, how to approach reading the Bible with confidence, or sharing chatter that matters in a noisy world. Five magazine copies will be included to giveaway at the event. Only three of these rewards are available!
COMMENTS FROM PAST EVENT ATTENDEES
"Great balance of interaction and presentation! I was excited when I saw the flyer. As today went on I thought, “Oh I’d love to just sit home tonight,” but I am so happy I didn’t give into the temptation of not coming!"
"I appreciated the substance of the event. I personally don’t care for a lot of emotional stories or fluff, so it was great to dive into God’s Word and really see what He wants out of our lives. It was very strengthening for me personally."
"Thank you so much for your work as young women covering issues engaging women of all ages! I enjoyed a women’s only Bible-based and supportive event. Very inspiring! Great speakers!"
"This week has been wonderful. I have received many compliments from ladies who attended the workshop. Some of the comments have been, 'Thank You, we need more events like this.' I have been setting aside me, quiet time this week and I really want to make this a goal."
"I know I was uplifted in spirit after the workshop. I am so thankful that spirit was spread among many/all in attendance. God's continued blessings to you and all the hens. You are a special group of women that have a gift of encouraging and uplifting others. For that gift, I am truly thankful."
***for custom bulk orders, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL BE USED
We need to raise $6,000 to fund the printing, shipping, and handling of the magazine. Extra merchandise, as seen above, will be produced to assist the magazine launch and help to cover Kickstarter fees.
Funds raised in excess of our initial goal will be distributed between operational expenses, offsetting the printing cost of future issues, and in compensating the women that have dedicated hours to help create and make this publication a reality.
THE HOLY HEN HOUSE COMMUNITY
Our flock has grown over the years and we are so glad to engage with women in the HHH community as they discuss God's Word, mentor one another, and live on mission with Jesus. Come join us on Facebook in the private HOLY HEN HOUSE Community group! In this space we discuss our Bible studies, share HHH news before doing so with the general public, hold quarterly faith challenges, and even include fun questions or polls to include in the magazine!
This entire publication has been put together with our sisters in mind. The investment we have made in the Holy Hen House magazine has been a labor of love and motivated by Jesus' faithfulness to us. He calls us to stop the hustle and draw near. He calls us to come to his feet, to put the distractions away, and look up in the eyes of our loving Father. He is all we need. Our righteousness. Our holiness. Our redemption.
This is our prayer for you and all that open our magazine:
"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." - Ephesians 3:16-21
HHH LEADERSHIP TEAM
Amanda Rose | Co-Founder, Creative Director, Editor-in-Chief
Mel Kreuser | Co-Founder, Content-Editor
Becky Schermerhorn | Co-Founder, Content-Editor
Ashley Evans | Copy Writer
Rachel Grokowsky | Marketing Director, Products Designer
Ann Jahns | Sales Coordinator, Editor
Katie Blievernicht | Events Manager
Gwen Schroeder | Finance Consultant
Risks and challenges
RISKS AND CHALLENGES
For those unfamiliar with Kickstarter, the main risk is that if this project doesn’t meet the minimum funding goal of $6,000, then the magazine will not be made. This is why sharing the project with your friends is just as helpful as contributing. Thanks for being a part of our flock in that way!
You can get other backer questions answered at https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backer+questions. For example, if you scroll down to "How Do I Pledge?" you will find written instructions and a video on how to select your reward.
We’re working with an incredible team of collaborators on the designing, printing, and binding of the magazine. Our main challenge is the turn-around time for the production of the magazine. It is our goal for you to receive the magazines and other rewards by November 29th. We’ll be doing everything in our power to make that possible, of course. We’ve got a whole group of supporters ready to pack and mail your rewards with love as soon as we get them from our production partners. That’s why we’ve set December 2019 as the estimated delivery date and not November 2019, even though that’s our goal. We always want to under-promise and over-deliver.
We believe in transparency. Should any unforeseen issues arise that would push back the production of the magazine or the delivery date of the pledge rewards we will update you accordingly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (27 days)