As Featured In
About the The Reframe:
- Designed to beautifully display and easily slide in any 5x7-inch card or print.
- Handmade in Michigan with wood from deconstructed houses in Detroit.
- Pledge $50+ and every month we will send a new card or print for your Reframe.
Beauty through craftsmanship.
- The Reframe is handcrafted from reclaimed Douglas fir of deconstructed abandoned houses in Detroit.
- The front and back of The Reframe are smoothed to a clear finish while the edges retain the rough-sawn edge, a reminder of the wood's hundred-year history.
- We’ve worked to bring the frame to its most minimal point. There’s no glass or moving parts, rather a simple slit at the top designed to easily slide in or take out any 5x7-inch card.
- The frame is thick enough to free stand on its own. It has notches allowing it to hang as a portrait or landscape on the walls of your home or studio.
A timely endeavor.
- In this particularly distressing time for Detroit, small businesses outside the city are finding ways to bring back to the city, what's nearly been lost- a culture of craftsmanship and ingenuity.
- The Reframe project is driven by our Michigan based partners Urban Ashes and Reclaim Detroit who are leading the charge with many others to creatively approach some of the city's most pressing issues.
Subscribe to art for mindful living.
- Pledge $50 or more and receive The Reframe with a subscription: receive 1 new, beautiful print every month for the duration of your subscription.
Art can inspire, remind, and touch us in ways unlike any other medium. We’ve partnered with our favorite artists from around the world and challenged them to create art that encourages mindful living. Every designer has interpreted this in radically different ways and has contributed to a growing library of prints and cards, with many more to come. While the art is varied it represents a common set of values defined by a generation hungry to create change and live a more intentional life. Whether for your home, office or studio, The Reframe subscription is small reminder to bring beauty and art to all aspects of life.
The greatest social impact, and the smallest environmental impact.
There are thousands of abandoned houses scheduled for demolition in Detroit this year. Rather than demolish these structures, the folks at Reclaim Detroit are purposefully deconstructing homes and salvaging truck loads of precious woods and other materials. Though this process takes longer than a standard demolition, Reclaim still charges the standard fees because of the raw materials they are able to save and use for projects like The Reframe. Our production and design partner, Urban Ashes, uses the reclaimed Douglas Fir wood to produce each Reframe. This process minimizes landfill waste and reduces the need for virgin materials, all while contributing to economic growth in an area hit by difficult times.
Holstee is a design studio based in Brooklyn, New York. Founded in 2009 by David Radparvar, Fabian Pfortmüller and Michael Radparvar, the three founders resolved to build the type of company they always wished existed but never found. Their first order of business was to redefine success for themselves, which is now known as The Holstee Manifesto. Today Holstee designs and creates prints and cards for your home, office and everywhere in between.
Video produced by MIchael Lowe: www.michaelsbyline.com
Risks and challenges
As a design startup, we have been practicing design and production for a range of goods since 2009. Still our experience with hard goods (i.e. wood) is limited. For this reason we have partnered with Urban Ashes, an industry leader in woodworking. Together, we have produced several prototypes, working to simplify the design as much as possible.
The materials used for this production are reclaimed from abandoned houses that have been intentionally deconstructed, rather than demolished. This means our supply of wood resources is limited to that availability. We have learned there are over 3,000 homes that Michigan have been deemed uninhabitable, meaning a significant amount of wood that can be saved from being hauled to nearby landfills. Our hope is to salvage as much of this wood as possible, through this project and future ones.
We are confident that with our team and partnership with Urban Ashes we will be able to follow through on our promise to deliver a quality product and ship on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)