(^^^Subtitulos en castellano disponible en el vídeo arriba^^^)
What are you wanting to do, Holly and why?
Hola! I'm Holly! Well I would really love to make an album of new (and a couple of oldish) songs of mine. But actually have them physically in one place and also actually release it so it's all online and forever there. After so many years of being a musician, singer and songwriter it's frustrating that I don't have anything complete to show for it. I want to have something I can physically hold and be proud of for my whole life and I need your help to do so! I feel like I've been struck with a sort of clarity lately, where all my experience as a musician, songwriter, singer, producer and a person over the years has all come together. It feels like exactly the right time to be doing this project and Kickstarter feels like exactly the right platform to do it through.
So I'm from the UK but I now live in Mallorca and after a pretty lengthy writer's block (there's even a song about that) they are suddenly pouring out of me and I've got a new energy for it all. Not only do I want to make this album, I want to release it and try and get it in front of some music industry too. I've had record deals in the past and I know how tough and flakey the music industry is and it's very possibe that nothing will come of it, but nothing at ALL will come of it if I don't do anything. If I just sit at home and keep my music to myself then I stand no chance of anything. So I have to at least try , by making this record and giving it the best push I can to be on the side where something COULD happen.
Who And How, Brown Cow?
I've put a band together here who are the Dāhs! (Si - drums, Matthew - bass, Miki - guitar&sax / Shannagh - vocals) I have been demoing the songs by myself in my practice room / studio but now we've been playing them live with the band I'm now convinced I need to make this album with them including live drums which is always the trickiest part of a quality band recording project. There's an amazing recording studio here called Palma Music Studios where we would go to record them and get in my old faithful engineer Ben Darlow (Dāhlow!) to engineer the session mix some of the tracks.
I also just want to mention here the insanely talented Patrick Burke who had designed the album cover specially. He spent 3 weeks listening to the demo while creating it. I was speechless when he showed me it. It is stunning!!!
If you know me from the previous Kickstarter I did with my dad Dave Lowe (an epic project where we remade his old computer game music) you'll know that me and my dad have worked togeher for years and years. He will of course be there along the way for help and ideas and studio time (I plan on doing all the vocals and more in his Uncle Art studio in Yorkshire, UK), but for the first time I will be stepping out and producing the whole album by myself. So it's a test of me as a producer as well as an artist.
The Physics Of Us
I've called this yet-to-be-made album 'The Physics Of Us' because many of the songs are based around concepts of gravity, time, chance and forces. It's like, who and what are we if not affected by other people and their forces, the push, the pull. Without other people and the attraction and repulsion that affect us we are like heavenly bodies just drifting forever through time and space. It's other people that make things interesting. In other words, it's an album about love...
Here are some of the songs I definitely would like on the record:
Writers Block * No Regrets * Forecast For Snow * Tint O' Time * Wasn't I Always The One? * Before Two Stars Collide * How Can I Help You? * Collision Course * Sad Old Songs * Cartography Song *
Money Money Money!
As with most things in life, you need money to be able to achieve things! I'm needing a bit of a helping hand to pay for the following:
* My studio rent where I do all my demo-ing nad editing, some of the recording and where the band rehearses.
* Recording costs - studios cost money as do engineers and mix engineers and any additional musicians you get to session on it. Drums will be recorded at Palma Music Studios here in Mallorca. I also plan to do quite a lot of the recording including most of the vocals at my dad's studio in Yorkshire which obviously doesn't cost me anything to hire but it does cost me to get there and I might have to fly various band members out there too.
* Pressing the CD - physically pressing the CDs obviously costs money. There are also costs involved in hosting downloads and releasing to the online streaming sites etc.
* Music Videos - this is where I really am hoping we can get a decent budget to make some great videos. I know not all videos need an expensive budget but they normally need something and you need talented people to make them or help with them. The more we have left over to help with music videos the better as everyone knows that in this day and age it is so important to have videos in order to get your music heard. (Be seen to be heard!)
* Press / Marketing budget - Making a CD is one thing but getting people to hear it is another. It really does require marketing from press releases and PR campaigns to radio and streaming pluggers to get as many people talking about and listening to the record as possible.
* Live / touring expenses - this isn't budgeted into what I'm asking for here, but if we go over any extra money beyond the extra we need for more videos and marketing will go into all the costs that are involved with playing live and touring. Which would be awesome!
I'm asking for the absolute minumum amount required here to make this album and release it. But really, we could do with a lot more to really give the videos, marketing and live budgets what they need to really maximise this opportunity. But the most important thing is to make the album in the first place which is why I'm only asking the absolute minimum needed to make this.
OK now let's get back to talking about music! Thanks again for being here please check out the rewards and get involved with the project.
Let's Do This!!
Risks and challenges
If you know me from Kickstarter before, you'll know that I've already successfuly run and delivered a music campaign and on a much bigger scale than this. (Uncle Art: A Temporal Shift campaign) So I feel I have a good reference for delivering what I say I will. Things have changed quite a lot since then as I'm now a parent to a nearly 3 year old daughter and that comes with its own challenges! Mostly time. I feel like I have been generous with the time I've allowed for this as most of the songs are already written and demo'd.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter