Update: Thank you to our early backers! If you missed the $300 reward level, please scroll down the page for more options. For the latest project news, please click the "Updates" tab at the top of this page.
Thanks for viewing our project!
We are proud to present the NTH MUSIC SYNTHESIZER: fun to use, sonically rich, and hackable by design.
The NTH is designed so that a complete beginner can quickly craft incredibly varied timbres. For the synth veteran, the NTH offers relief from layered menus and obscured functions. The NTH puts a smile on the face of musicians and non-musicians, synth geeks and synth novices, children and adults alike.
We started with a PIC microcontroller and 8-bit DAC to create a dual-pitch oscillator with modulation by waveform, amplitude envelope, detuning, and glissando. Then we added a gritty analog low-pass filter, integrated step sequencer, and simple, intuitive controls. Your initial experimentation will quickly reveal an astonishing range of output: from sweet and sublime to raw, thrashing, and retro sounds.
The NTH is designed for easy modification:
- The NTH's spare hardware DAC channel and electronics prototyping area await your experiments.
- We've included an ICSP port for connection to the NTH's PIC16F microcontroller. Use a low-cost USB programmer to modify, upgrade, or completely rewrite the firmware on your NTH.
- If Kickstarter funding succeeds, we will publish the NTH Design Source Package, which includes the design files and source code for every detail of the NTH including electronic hardware, firmware, and enclosure. The package will be available for free download from nthsynth.com.
- Backers inside the United States: Each reward includes free insured ground shipping.
- International backers (NTH or NTH PCB rewards): Pledge the extra amount as noted in each reward description to cover insured USPS Express Mail International service. If you prefer FedEx International Priority, please double the amount added for shipping.
- International backers (t-shirt and flash drive reward): Pledge the extra amount as noted in the reward description to cover USPS Priority Mail International service.
FOR MORE INFORMATION...
We've posted the user manual, photos, and demo media at the NTH website:
We'll be posting more in the coming days. Join us.
- (28 days)