The Story Behind The Project:
The idea of HoldUm's was created one day while I was at home cleaning my room; I noticed all my glasses were scattered on the dresser table collecting dust. Since many of my glasses did not come with cases, I had very few places to store them and keep them safe.
Pondering for a moment, I noticed my dresser mirror was conveniently placed above the dresser table and not being utilized. I thought “How can I take advantage of this empty space on the mirror, clear up my dresser table and also keep my glasses out of harm’s way?” Thus began the first phase of the project.
Research and Development:
I had decided to pursue my idea and began drawing a few rough sketches of what I had in mind. I asked a friend of mine who had experience using AutoCAD to help me bring my sketches to life. We then started to model and replicate the HoldUm design. My overall objective here was to create a product that was durable, reusable and minimalist. After a few mock-ups the design was finalized.
Upon doing research, I searched up various methods of suction technology that could have been used in the design of the product. The one method that stuck out the most was the use of Nano-Suction film. The unique thing about this film is that when the material is pressed against a flat surface, millions of nano-sized suction cups create a strong vacuum, allowing the film to withstand and hold heavy weight. Another great thing about this technology is that it can be removed/applied easily and repeatedly, all while leaving no residue behind.
After finalizing the application feature behind HoldUm's, the next step was to create a functional prototype. For this I contacted a local 3D print shop who then took the design file and started the printing process. After a few days the first batch of prototypes were complete and ready for testing.
The 3D prints were made out of plastic and were great for testing the product around the house. Ideally I want the finished product to be made in aluminum since it is lightweight, durable and gives the product a sleek, minimalist look.
Now began the search for manufacturers and to ultimately find out the costs to produce my product. I got in contact with some manufacturers, both local and foreign, so that I could compare my prices. After a few phone calls and emails back and fourth, I finally received quotes for the production of HoldUm's. Since the manufacturer over-seas quoted prices in USD, the cost to produce in Canada was not too far from the USD cost. Depending on the amount of funding received, I should be able to keep production local.
Risks and challenges
If this Kickstarter campaign reaches the $4000 goal, I will then be able to cover the tooling and manufacturing costs for the first production run for my backers. Exceeding the campaign goal will allow me to create a larger purchase order and add leverage to the price per piece manufactured. This would then help lower the overall retail price of the product.
I would ideally want the production of HoldUm’s to be made locally in order to have better oversight on the manufacturing process and assuring quality control. This however will all come down to the amount of funding received.
Our fulfillment process will be handled by a local fulfillment company that is reputable with Kickstarter campaigns. This company will handle the labeling, packaging and shipping of our product to its new owners. Shipping is FREE for all US and International Backers while $5 Canadian shipping rates apply.
I thank you ALL for the opportunity and I hope that HoldUm's help you solve a problem that I was once facing.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)