What's with all these goals?
Kickstarter is an interesting way to involve fans in a project. It's a place to come together and pool ideas as well as funding. While I have a really good handle on the film side of things and what we need to do, I'm not as familiar with explaining Kickstarter and the way it works to people who have never done one before.
We hit a snag with the cascading goals. Kickstarter has the campaign creator set one goal for one thing (in this case the script) and when reached, it's possible to keep raising money to make that thing better or appear faster.
Did you know that 95% of the backers for this project have never pledged via Kickstarter before? That's AMAZING because we have so many fans who want to see this happen. They jumped on a site they're not familiar with to do something they haven't done before. That's astounding. It shows how much they want this to film.
That also means that we have a lot of newBs and lurkers who are a little confused about all this. A Kickstarter can be daunting.
Let clear up a few things:
- We can raise all the funding we need with THIS Kickstarter.
- It ends on Feb 4th at 9pm CST no matter what. The date does not change and cannot be extended.
- The only way to get the rewards listed here is via the Kickstarter. They won't be offered again.
Raising all of the money at once is intimidating, so the way this works is to have mini-goals.
- Our first mini-goal was the script $7999. Nailed it! Done.
- The next mini-goal was to secure the producer. Done!
- The next mini-goal is $30K to secure the director.
- Then $40K to get the casting director so we can start casting.
- Then $60K to begin pre-production.
The further we get down this list the faster we can get to filming this movie. Our total budget for this film is $250K. If we can hit $60K before this Kickstarter ends, we'll be in excellent shape. If we can surpass that amount, we're golden and we can jump straight into EVERYTHING.
There will not be a separate Kickstarter for every goal. It's not practical for many reasons, and the main reason is TIME--we wouldn't get to film this for over a year, and you won't get books from me because working a Kickstarter is a full-time job. I can't do a Kickstarter every day for a year and still write books. There aren't enough hours in the day.
That's where you come in. Help me refine the Kickstarter to make this clear. We have a lot of people who don't understand. Look at the listing and help me refine it.
- It needs to be 100% clear that we need to do as much as we possibly can, NOW.
- If you see a way to simply state that or correct misconceptions, let me know.
The token hot guy will be back later. He's helping me fix the listing. ;)