About this project
We are proud to present the inaugural Hasslefree Miniatures Kickstarter - 30mm Fantasy Female Miniatures suitable for any Tabletop or RPG game.
That's right, Hasslefree have finally come to Kickstarter, and we have a project that we think fits the bill perfectly.
We have joined forces with one of the world's most talented Pin-Up artists, Matt Dixon and hope to bring a selection of his work to your tabletop games.
We're starting the Kickstarter out with the initial funding goal for 4 Characters, each with 3 variants, for a total of 12 unique 30mm miniatures.
Each Character has these 3 variants, unlocked in this order...
- Pin-Up - This is the version based directly on Matt Dixon's original artwork. It will be made as close to the artwork as physically possible.
Skyclad - This variant will be completely nude except for any applicable weapons. The pose may vary slightly from the artwork due to physical limitations.
(Important Note: All Skyclad art was done by me i.e. Dameon / Artemis Black. It was done by drawing nudity over Matt's original art. Also there are no 'uncensored' versions, stop asking :) The censor boards were placed first and then sketched around).
Winter - This variant will be more warmly dressed, usually in some kind of fur trim or full armour. Again, the pose & equipment may vary slightly from the artwork. Any changes will be transmitted to Backers via the update process.
(Second Important Note: Some of the Winter Art was also done by me and my bad sketching ability. Unfortunately Matt had a bereavement in the family during prep for this and it cut his time available to work on the sketches.)
We have a number of different pledge levels, which we hope we have kept fairly self-explanatory...
- Just Passing Through - The obligatory 'Pledge £1 and shop for what you want' level. Anything unlocked will come with an add-on price and you just add up what you want and pledge that amount.
- Hasslefriesian Half Dozen - Available in both 'Metal' and 'Resin Master' pledges. This level allows you to select 6 standard miniatures for a discount over buying them individually. We may also unlock applicable Stretch Goals.
- Dixon's Dozen - Also Available in both 'Metal' and 'Resin Master' pledges. This level allows you to select 12 standard miniatures for a larger discount than the Half Dozen pledge. Again, we may also unlock applicable Stretch Goals.
The 4 Initial Characters are Funded! Thanks Everyone :D
Please Note: The prices are for 'each' of the 3 variants. For example if you wanted metal versions of both the Pin-Up and Winter Archers then that would be 2 x £5, or £10.
Larger Images for Erryn can be found HERE.
Kev has sculpted each variant of the first character, Erryn, already, as an illustration of what we plan to do. The 'Skyclad' variant has been censored for KS purposes :)
Please Note: These are the 'proof of concept' minis. At the time these were made the idea was more 'minis vaguely based on Matt's art and available in multiple styles'. Since then we have changed the Kickstarter to be more art-based and so Kev has already ripped the heads off and is working on 'cuter' ones to more mesh with Matt's style. I'm leaving the pic though because it does a good job of showing off Kev's skill as a sculptor regardless :D
Larger Images for Niska can be found HERE.
Dawn is modelled standing on one leg, her regular version will come with a, separate, sculpted small standing stone for her to lean on. Obviously if you purchase her companion Tryke then she leans on him :)
Larger Images for Dawn can be found HERE.
Larger Images for Aneira can be found HERE.
All Stretch Goals can be found in this section...
Shamanic Boudi unlocked at the following funding levels...
- Pin Up - £10,000
- Skyclad - £11,000
- Winter (Jaguar Shaman) - £12,000
Larger Images for Shamanic Boudi can be found HERE.
Tryke unlocked at £15,000
Tryke has been sculpted by one of our guest sculptors, the fantastic Fancagne Didier of Kaha Miniatures (info in the Guest Sculptors section below).
He will be cast in production resin and is 27mm to top of 'Frill' and 45mm long from beak to tail.
Glory will be a bit more difficult to sculpt and will certainly be multipart, as such she unlocked at the following funding goals...
- Pin Up - £17,000
- Skyclad - £18,500
- Winter - £20,000
The Winter version is me sketching again, basically she will have her full plate and mail armour that is half destroyed in the main Pin Up artwork :)
Larger Images for Glory can be found HERE.
Shayda Diavol unlocked at the following funding goals...
- Pin Up - £21,000
- Skyclad - £22,000
- Winter - £24,000
The Winter version will 'not' have the same pose as the artwork. She will be adjusted to remove the more 'Pin Up' elements of her stance, specifically her legs. She will also likely have a little more armour/covering and may look more stern than coquettish.
Larger Images for Shayda Diavol can be found HERE.
Alright, once you've stopped laughing, pay closer attention to the descriptions than usual :)
Matthias da Brum unlocked at the following funding goals (see Update for more details)...
- Pin Up - £26,000
- Skyclad - £28,000
- Winter - £30,000
As you can tell, there's not actually any 'I spent a load of time on this' artwork for old Matthias here :) There is a good reason for that, you lot blew through the earlier stretch goals before Kev had a chance to do more work on the mini. We were hoping he could cover for me on this one. So you'll have to make do with the detailed descriptions below...
- Pin Up - The concept of Matthias da Brum is that of a fantasy 'da Vinci'. It's based on a self portrait of Matt Dixon himself and the idea is that he is flamboyantly painting. The gnarled paintbrush he uses, with a simple snip off the brush end, instantly become a wand and instead he is now a medieval wizard flamboyantly spellcasting instead. This Pin-Up one will be wearing a stylish leather jacket, an 'incredibly' deep V shirt, showing as much torso as possible, and may even have a separate weapon to attach at the belt. He will definitely come with a separate palette for his left hand for those who assemble him as a painter.
- Skyclad - He's naked with paintbrush/wand. Works with either!
- Winter - Same concept but in a long flowing coat, waistcoat, high collared shirt etc. Something a little more renaissance/WFRP/city wizard than the usual robes and pointy hat :D
- Signed Art Card - Would be of the self portrait artwork, by Matt of course, in the bottom left.
Bambi has proven herself the true Queen of Beasts by bonding with a Hunter Demon who appeared one day in her lands.
Bambi, and just Bambi, unlocked at the following funding goals..
- Pin Up - £32,000
- Skyclad - £33,000
- Winter - £35,000
Thumper 'is' being worked on by one of our guest sculptors :)
Is Katarina the sacrifice or the sacrificer?
Katarina unlocked at the following funding goals...
- Pin Up - £37,000
- Skyclad - £38,000
- Winter £40,000 (Ok, the idea behind the winter sketch is that she is wearing a long figure hugging black dress with a v neckline, that's a vial around her neck, and a large fur coat of the 'bubble' variety, She doesn't have a tiny left arm, that's just my flu brain being unable to handle perspective properly and fudging it with a big pile of fur :) We hope to make her look in such a way that she can be used cross genre, Fantasy, Modern or Pulp/ Cthulhu Femme Fatale)
But do not worry! We 'planned for success' and have an emergency batch of characters and variants still to unlock 'and' there seems to still be a couple of missing Companions ;)
Interesting times, still to come!
Ok, this is the first of our 'prepared for success' emergency mini basket of characters. Each of them had some kind of 'not quite like the others' about them that pushed them out of the original set. As you can tell, this one was that, well, she's floating :)
Caoimhe unlocked at the following funding goals...
- Pin Up - £42,000 (As the artwork, except we will probably extend the dress tendrils to meet the tab so she is floating, rather than her feet touching the tab)
- Skyclad - £43,000 (This one 'may' have 2 versions to choose from for the resin lovers. She will 'likely' be made as is first, resin cast, then for the metal version she will be rising out fo the floor so will be a mist effect from the calves down to the tab)
- Winter - £45,000 (Her 'Banshee' form. Obviously it won't match the art exactly (It's hard to sculpt an overuse of the smudge tool ;) ) but hopefully you can see what we're going for. Layered skirt, wrapped clothing, all flying backwards as an effect of her scream. Kev may decide to add a split or a rise to the skirt as the legs will already be sculpted, shame to cover them up entirely (This version will 'definitely' not be £5 as the final RRP, so is already a bargain)).
The 'clear resin' versions are difficult. Clear resin is very tough on moulds, tearing them much sooner, especially with a miniature like this with tendrils and the like. We're offering them at a higher price and will run a special master mould for them, we'll make sure we get everyone from the Kickstarter one but we have no idea if they'll continue to be viable outside of the KS. Obviously the Clear Resin master cannot be included in the pledge level choices.
So there was a little miscommunication between myself and Fancagne, which resulted in 'a' Leopard, just not 'the' Leopard being started :) So to turn lemons into lemonade we came to an agreement and now we will be offering 'two' Snow Leopards!
Just pretend the second one is just offscreen, so to speak :D
Tylmesta now has a sister, Taranau.
The Snow Leopards unlocked together at £48,000
Alright, let's chat about this one :D
First off, yes, it's very odd, we know. Secondly, this is something Kev and I chatted about and Kev fancied doing it as a sort of anatomy study, a female Wight. Luckily the art isn't clean bone, it has desiccated flesh/skin, so that'll be a little easier than having to point out the minute differences on a 30mm skeleton. She'll also be a nice palette cleanser from the regular, constant, female curves Kev will be sculpting for this, and help protect against burnout.
Then I had the even weirder idea of making the 'Winter' version, alive :) Think of it as a sort of Pirates of the Caribbean vibe. She's cursed so that by day she's her old self and by night she's a Wight.
As the art is a bit iffy, this is going to be one of those 'trust in Kev' ones. Kev's a fan of making some Undead and doesn't get much of a chance to.
Queen Ksenia unlocked at the following funding goals...
- Pin Up - £49,000
- Skyclad - £50,000
- Winter (Living) - £52,000
One of our 2 guest sculptors, Tre Manor of Red Box Games, has agreed to work with us to create 'Frost' variants of some of the Kickstarter characters. It won't be all of them, some are already 'wintery' enough and thus the change isn't worth it.
More info can be found in the Updates HERE, HERE and HERE
Frost Shaman Boudi unlocked at £54,000
One-handed partner axe to her original two-handed one and a shield, scale mail armour with fur and leather coverings accompanied by Tre's patented 'doodads' :)
Frost Shayda unlocked at £55,000
Fur trimmed coat with attached cape over a long dress and holding a frost staff.
Frost Katarina unlocked at £56,000
Leather, scalemail, fur covered cape.
Frost Aneira unlocked at £57,000
Padded gambeson under a Breastplate, full plate leg armour and a sword/shield combo.
Aenglish Glory unlocked at £59,000
Furs, pouches, a dagger or two , more pouches, a bedroll and some pouches! :D
Ice Mage Matthias unlocked at £60,000
Thumper unlocked at £63,000
Our final character unlock - Helen, Mythic Warrior through the Ages!
All variants will be sculpted by Kev, and are as follows...
- PIn-Up - As Matt's original artwork but with a right forearm strap for the optional broken wooden shield. Pin-Up unlocked at £65,000
- Skyclad - Naked, with broken spear and arm straps for the optional broken wooden shield. Skyclad Unlocked at £66,000
- Mythic - Dressed as the greek warriors of old. Short sword and optional metal hoplite style shield. Mythic Unlocked at £68,000
- Winter - The baddest woman on the Northern Tundra! Metal hunting spear, Celtic shield and fur trimmed. Winter unlocked at £70,000
All variants will come with the shield separate.
Ok, here's the big one...
This one is an extra bonus for those of you who backed us big during this Kickstarter period.We know we that we haven't got that many WIP's or finished minis and we appreciate your support and trust :)
So, for anyone who ends this Kickstarter tomorrow on a Dixon's Dozen pledge, they will be able to select 13 miniatures instead of 12. That applies to both Metal pledgers and those of you going for the Resin Masters.
And for those of you with multiple Dixon's Dozens pledges then yes, if you have 2 pledges then you get to pick 26 instead of 24 and so on.
If unlocked, this would mean that the Dixon's Dozen pledges (depending on the final RRP of your chosen minis) will be anywhere from a 25-40% discount! Throw in the current terrible exchange rate because of the crash of the pound and all of you from outside the UK will be getting our minis at the cheapest prices in a decade!
As our final big goal, this unlocked at £75,000! :D
Thanks for your support everyone!
You may be wondering which material to purchase your miniatures in. You may even be wondering what a 'Resin Master' is and why are they different to resin figures. So, let the knowledge flow...
- Resin Masters - These are the highest quality resin figures, cast by the maestros of resin at Grey Matter Figures, direct from the initial mould cast from Kev's green. They are the closest thing you can get to owning the green itself. They are not reproductions of another master casting. They are held to our highest standard and should contain zero air bubbles and the most minimal of mould lines, if any.
White Metal - Our metal miniatures are moulded direct from special, metal infused, resin masters. We don't master in metal first and make a copy of a copy. This means that our regular production metal is the same quality as normal metal masters. They are moulded and cast by the experts at Griffin Moulds.
You can find excellent examples of both at our website HF Minis
We will be producing a number of art cards (120mm x 80mm) for those who wish to purchase them, and Matt and/or Kev (Your choice) have agreed to sign them, for those of you who'd like to turn your minis into a more collectible item.
Obviously these will be more popular for the original Pin-Up artwork, with the full backgrounds, but should any of you want one of the Sketches then we are more than happy to oblige. If any of you are crazy enough to want a Skyclad card signed by me too then why the Hell not, Go Nuts!
Kevin James White (He loves it when we use his full name), also known as 'Hasslefriesian' (NSFW link, will contain nude sculptures of both males and females), is one of the world's best miniature sculptors. Particularly known for his mastery of the female form and his decade long push to make female miniatures more realistic and believable. With over 20 years of experience under his belt he has won numerous industry awards and has done work for so many companies there is almost no way to list them all, but I'll give it a go...
Games Workshop / Forgeworld, Privateer Press, Warlord Games, Reaper Miniatures, CMON, Studio McVey, Wizards of the Coast, Dark Sword Miniatures, Mantic, John Blanche / Femme Militant, Cthulhu Wars, Kaha Miniatures, Crooked Dice, Otherworld, Heresy Miniatures, Ground Zero Games, Harlequin, Target, I-Kore, Brigade Games, Forge of Ice, FU-UK, Grey Matter Figures, Clarecraft, Heartbreaker, TFT, Custom Hobby *whew* And those are just the ones I remember without asking him.
For the last 13 yrs or so he has been the primary sculptor for his own range, Hasslefree Miniatures i.e. Us :D
Matt Dixon is a freelance artist and illustrator from Birmingham (The UK one, not Alabama or any of the others around the world).
He is recognised as one of the world's most talented Pin Up artists and is probably best known in that genre for his own artbooks, Girls on Top 1 & 2.
He has also done extensive concept artwork in both the gaming and video gaming industries and has worked on such high profile game and movie franchises as Harry Potter, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon and Pirates of the Caribbean. His recent clients include Electronic Arts, Sony Online Entertainment, Hasbro, Future Publishing and Blizzard Entertainment. For those of you into CCG's, you've probably seen his art on MTG cards, Warcraft cards and numerous other games.
Although this is unrelated to the Kickstarter, we would be remiss if we didn't take the opportunity to mention it. Matt was recently diagnosed with Macular Dystrophy, an eye condition that means his central vision is going to get slowly but progressively worse. We feel privileged that he took the time he has to work with us in this way.
To allow Matt to spend more time on more personal art, he has set up a Patreon. We link it here purely for your information and no obligation is intended.
Some 'Merch' from our illustrious artist. If you're of the impatient type you can always just jump directly to Matt's site.
A bundle of Six A2 ( 420 x 594mm ) pin-up posters. Bazooka Betty, Gone Fishin', Love Is, Broom of Doom, Death Metal Darlin', and Blood Angel. All posters will be hand signed on the front by Matt.
Postage may increase if you purchase these as they need to be shipped in tubes for their protection.
Six different Halloween themed, shaped pin-up stickers in each pack. Printed full colour onto durable vinyl. Each sticker measures approximately 10cm along the longest edge.
'Dixon's Vixens' trading cards.
Limited edition trading cards from Cult Stuff.
- Set 1 packs contain the full 18 card set ( numbers 1-18 ) plus either a signed card or an additional special autograph card.
- Set 2 packs contain the full 18 card set ( numbers 19-36 ) including at least one signed card, plus a special card. Special cards include canvas printed cards and a very limited number of original sketch cards.
Double set bundle includes a pack from each set, giving you a complete set of trading cards plus the chance at some cool extras.
We have some amazing sculptors who have agreed to work on a few of our stretch goals with us. Kev will be making all of the human minis but there are also some 'companions' planned as Stretch Goals, and if we're lucky enough to unlock them then these guys will be putting their putty to work for us...
Fancagne Didier, Kaha Miniatures - Fancagne is fast becoming known as the 'Beast Master' of our industry. Anyone browsing through his work will soon see why, with all manner of amazingly sculpted animals and anthropomorphs.
Tre Manor, Red Box Games (UK / USA) - Tre is the 'King of the North'. A fantastic sculptor with a love of all things Northern, both historical and fantasy. Vikings, Barbarians & Beasts, if they belong in the cold, then Tre has made them :)
Important - Do NOT add shipping to your pledge. We will be contacting everyone for shipping when your pledge is ready to fulfill. The main reason for this is that exchange rates and costs may change between now and the fulfillment date, either positiveley or negatively.
(Thanks Obama!/Brexit!, delete according to political standing ;) )
Shipping 'estimates' are as follows...
- UK - £4
- EU - £5
- Rest of World - £6
Very large orders may require tracking/insurance, this will be handled at fulfilment also.
As all orders will be fulfilled from the UK then we get to include this snazzy little logo...
Risks and challenges
Well, we've never done a Kickstarter before, so if we missed a line in the contract where we have to personally deliver the minis via horse and carriage in just a Speedo then you're all screwed.
More seriously, we have a bazillion years of experience between us here at HF at making high quality miniatures in both resin and metal. That's an accurate number I believe.
Delays may always occur of course, due to accident or injury. We work with the best in the business though, which reduces such risks significantly.
We're well known for our excellent service and run an active and responsive Facebook page where we can always be reached. We have no current outstanding ongoing commitments and will be working almost exclusively on the unlocked miniatures until this campaign is completed and fulfilled.
(I say 'almost' as we sometimes let the sculptor, poor old Kev, take a break and sculpt something that's completely unrelated, to guard against burnout. We will keep everyone informed of who's working on what via regular updates).
Support this project
- (21 days)