HEXplore It™ is a cooperative, hero building, adventure, board game system. The Sands of Shurax is our third title in the HEXplore It universe. It is both a stand alone game and an expansion for our previous Volumes. Journey into an entrancing land filled with danger and intrigue.
The Ravager has awoken! A titanic creature deposits Crystal Towers on the map while your adventure unfolds. Make your way across the desert to perform Missions, work with Caravan Masters, gain Employment, or even enter the gladiatorial Arenas. Battle through a variety of Encounters during your travels, or move carefully and see what other Excavations you might unearth. Power Up your heroes and choose one of the four scenarios to win. Can you save Shurax from the Ravager?
- Cooperative game play (1 vs All play is available with the Expansion)
- Fantasy-themed hero building
- Variable hero powers and dozens of combinations
- Organic & customizable hero advancement
- Modular board: maps interlock with past and future Volumes
- Strategic movement, exploration, questing, and farming mechanics
- Dice-rolling & press-your-luck scenarios
- Several alternative playing styles; Quick Play, Double Up, Marathon, Solo Play
- Multi-Volume: Can be played with the Valley of the Dead King, the Forests of Adrimon, or future HEXplore It Volumes
- Dynamic play duration; you choose the length of play
- 6 levels of game difficulty
- Story immersion; players choose how much of the story they want to experience
Players create their hero by combining two character options: their Role and Race. This combination drives your hero's strengths, weaknesses, and defines your special abilities. We've build a bunch of unique choices for you, so no two games will ever play the same.
You'll work together to gather Platinum, Gold, Ravager Crystals, and Power Ups in order to advance your hero's strength while the Ravager wipes out crucial locations on the board. Choose your own path and explore a modular map which changes with each play through. Each game yields substantially different events, some controlled by the players, and others occurring randomly. Fulfill one of four unique game win scenarios, and gather as much power as you can along the way!
The Sands of Shurax Core Box contains everything you need to bring your adventurers into the heart of the desert. As the campaign progresses, we'll add more content! Check out our Stretch Goals section below for more information on the added content.
Nomadic legends speak of a great worm slumbering beneath the sands, stoking the fiery heat of the desert. Tales were told how the beast would awaken when the desert grew too cool, emerging from its slumber to bake the world above. For centuries the desert has grown and extended, proving, say the tribesmen, that the Ravager grows stronger. A storybook is now included in each Core box!
Campaign Mode has been unlocked!
We are beyond excited to bring you an entirely new way to play HEXplore It! These digital chapter books present new, augmented rules to play through an entire multi-session campaign using the same heroes!
You’ll use specific map tiles and play through a ton of new content in these choose-your-own adventure scenarios. Players are presented with several “What do you do” choice branches throughout the course of play. Each decision you make will drive how the scenario unfolds in this chapter and in chapters that occur in later modules. For more info on Campaign Mode, check out this update.
- Klik’s Madness follows the rise and fall of Goblin Emperor Klik as hordes of goblins become better organized under his command, raiding and pillaging the Runecrest Valley. Your heroes will have the opportunity to save NPC’s, earn new campaign items, get captured in Under Valley, witness Klik’s transformation into an Undead Lieutenant working for the Dead King and much more!
- In the Fall of the Ancients, the heroes will attempt to keep Hathowyr and Urgos' mind safe from the Magi's influence. They'll work for Elowen the Dryad, moving through the forest to stop Adrimon in her tracks. You may come face to face with Sarthowyr the dark dryad, and a cult of humans who feel Adrimon is a goddess. The story can unfold in a myriad of ways, and we can't wait for you to get your hands on it!
- In Noko's Ritual, our heroes will find themselves unwittingly woven into the terrible plans of Emperor Noko, who works to summon the Ravager of Shurax. The heroes will begin the campaign working as guards for the City-State of Tarri and will unknowingly aid the tyrant in gathering the resources he needs to perform the ritual. Early in the story the heroes may uncover the terrible truth, and will gain the option to continue to help Noko, or to devise a plan of their own to stop him- possibly preventing the Ravager from even being summoned!
Are you ready for this new way to play through HEXplore It content?
- A new Play Style: the Ravager vs. All: Like our previous Volumes, the SoS Expansion allows you to play as the Villain against the other heroes. This play style includes a dry erase Boss mat for the Ravager! Like the heroes, you'll be able to raise its ranks by performing Ambitions. You’ll choose how to ruin the map, and will have an entire card deck to yourself. You’ll also have access to powerful Rituals, which you can perform by expending your Ritual Points. You’ll be forced to react to them, and better yet, force them to react to YOU! There are several ways to play as the Ravager, which means no two games facing off against the heroes will be the same.
- New Bosses: There are four new bosses that appear in the Sands of Shurax Expansion box. These bosses each have unique reveal triggers.
- Traits: Traits give your hero a distinguishing quality that you gain at the beginning of the game. Check out our video about Traits here.
- HEXclusive Heroes: We're offering more HEXclusive Roles and Races. These heroes are more powerful than our normal heroes. They are perfect for solo play, or can be used in small groups to up the ante and increase the Difficulty of your game. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
- The Black Pyramid: HEXplore It's very first Maze!
The Black Pyramid: Perhaps one of the most exciting aspects of the Sands of Shurax Expansion is the inclusion of the Black Pyramid. We've built the Black Pyramid to be its own play-style. You can go through the entire game, gathering power, facing new threats, terrifying versions of the Bosses, and perhaps most importantly, uncover epic new gear! The Black Pyramid is laden with traps and secrets chambers, so beware adventurers!
Familiar Mechanics: Here are just a few of the familiar mechanics you'll find in SoS that also appear in previous volumes.
New Mechanics: Sands of Shurax is no mere reskin of our previous volumes. Here are just a few of the new mechanics we've implemented which makes the Sands of Shurax entirely unique! Check out our videos page for more information on these.
New Game Locations: There are several new location types in the Sands of Shurax. Caravansaries are locations where the heroes can purchase low-value goods and join a Caravan. The heroes can heal Energy and refill their food stores while in an Oasis.
Unlike Quests or Destinations (introduced in Volumes I and II), Missions are not tied to specific locations on the map. Instead, Mission locations are grouped into three terrain categories: Desert, Highland, and Silt Sea. Heroes may go to any Mission location that matches the terrain type to attempt to complete the Mission there.
Arenas & Scarabs: We’ve built in 2 new mini-games into HEXplore It: the Sands of Shurax. The heroes can now earn fame and fortune in gladiatorial arenas and can gamble away their fortune playing Scarabs. For more info on each system works, check out our videos page.
The Wastes & Caravans: The Wastes is an area at the center of the board that is separated from the four quadrants and the other HEXtiles. This simulates a great distance between the City-States. To cross from one section to another, the heroes will need to travel with Caravans (or find the Magic Carpet!). Work with Caravan Masters to move into and out of the Wastes. Each journey will present unique challenges, risks, and rewards. Check out our videos on the Wastes for more info.
Remnants & Mutations: Remnants are 3-hex map tiles that are placed on the board when the Ravager disappears back under the earth, leaving huge Crystal Towers in its wake. Crystal Towers are dangerous places where heroes become Irradiated and gain Mutations. Mutations reduce your maximum Energy ranks, but also grant special bonuses and increase the Power Up reward you receive for a particular stat.
Both the heroes and their opponents can gain Mutations, but Opponent Mutations function a little differently than Hero Mutations. Check out our Mutation video below for more info on these.
The City-States & Reputation: In the Sands of Shurax, your heroes will gain Reputation, which is a bit like their alignment. The four Reputation regions are: Righteous, Rebellious, Cruel, and Corrupt.
The City States are each aligned with two of the four Reputation regions. You’ll earn rewards for interacting with City-States whose Reputation matches your own, and encounter dangerous scenarios when interacting in a City-State whose Reputation does not. Each City-State gives the heroes access to a new way to gain power.
The heroes can also find work in each of the City-States, spending time to earn both Gold and Reputation. Earn more Gold based on your Role type in certain locations. For instance, Strikers earn more Gold while Employed in Tarri, while Healers earn more Gold while Employed in Phorora.
- Heal the sick and help the poor in Phorora.
- Become a street hand, helping merchants or picking pockets in Dria.
- Become soulless guards of Emperor Noko, patrolling the streets of Tarri.
- Perform for the wealthy in Nemsynet’s smoky gambling dens.
We've built in systems to prevent an entire game being spent in a City-State, however clever heroes can find ways to focus play there, instead of in the Wastes. Check out our video below for more info on the City-States.
New Opponent Subtypes: We're introducing a few new subtypes of opponents in the Sands of Shurax. Our heroes will now face Swarms and Hordes, opponents which have a new Vital called Outlast. Your normal attacks are largely ineffective against them.
In addition to Swarms and Hordes, we're also unveiling Titanic opponents. The Ravager is our first. These foes have more than one Health stat. Some opponents can even Mutate to gain the Titanic subtype. For more information on these new systems, click the video link below.
A beta version of the HEXplore It app is now available for download for both Android and Apple users. Check it out:
We are excited to announce that a new print cycle for both previous Volumes and their Expansions has been unlocked. These boxes will arrive at the same time as our Sands of Shurax products (they will not ship out early). Check out our new pledge levels to gain bundle deals! Here are some things our previous backers are saying about Volumes I and II:
Check out our hero randomizer on our website. Click away to create your next hero!
Dual Games - Play more than one Volume at a time.
If you have the Valley of the Dead King or the Forests of Adrimon, you can play along with Sands of Shurax in one session. You'll have two main bosses on the board (aside from the other 18!), both main bosses will be gaining power, and depending on how your game progresses, one or the other will take the upper hand.
Imagine if the Dead King came to control an undead version of the Ravager, or perhaps just as bad, Adrimon mindwiped the Ravager! You'll need to defeat both in order to win this game. Your group will have access to all content that both games offer:
- Visit several new game locations.
- Complete Quests, Destinations, or Missions.
- Gain new items and build Relics.
- Acquire Gold, Platinum or Nature's Essence in order to gain powerful treasures.
- Attempt to destroy up to 18 more bosses!
- Power Up your heroes in an epic way using this play style.
- All cards are marked for easy storage after play.
What are add ons? Add ons are items that we're selling apart from the pledge levels shown on the right sidebar. If you're interested in any of the below items, simply add up the cost of all add ons that you'd like to grab, and increase your pledge amount by the result. Add on's can also be added after the campaign ends in our Pledge Manager.
Available Add Ons
- Dice (choose from four types)
- Dice Bags (choose from two types)
- Living Card Decks (all 3 Volumes are available)
- HEXplore It Hero Chest
- Volume I: The Valley of the Dead King - 2nd Edition (Core + Expansion)
- Volume II: The Forests of Adrimon (Core + Expansion)
- Volume III: The Sands of Shurax
Dice & Dice Bags
*These highlighted sets can improve your play experience for the Sands of Shurax. Both the six-sided, and each four-sided die are shared between the players. If you invest in extra dice, we suggest getting these. Refer to the below table for more information on extra dice usage:
Living Card Decks: Our Living Card Campaign for the Valley of the Dead King is now complete, our Forests of Adrimon Living Card campaign is well underway, and our Sands of Shurax Living card campaign will begin when the games begin to ship.
We are offering new content for each of these volumes in the stand-alone decks shown below. Find the 36 Living Cards from our Living Card Campaign, as well as 24 new Peril cards which are played in an entirely unique way. Peril cards become an optional draw when the group rolls a hex on the Circumstance for the turn. When you roll a hex, you may choose to draw from the Circumstance deck normally or from the Peril deck. If you do, the revealed Peril card will have you play a specific set of two or more cards.
The HEXplore It Hero Chest: We’re now releasing a premium storage box for the HEXplore It system. This box has three independent containers inside. It will hold all Roles, Races, Traits, and Legendary cards that we’re planning to release in the HEXplore It gaming line, and it comes with a bunch of extra content!
Previous Volumes & Expansions: We are excited to announce that we have unlocked a new print cycle for both of our previous volumes. These products will arrive at the same time as our Sands of Shurax products (they will not ship out early).
Want more copies of Volume 3? Simply add $64 for each additional copy of the core game, and $34 for each additional copy of the Expansion.
Full Play Through Video: Check out a one-player, two-hero, full play through.
Kickstarter Card of the Day Videos: Each day of the campaign we're showing off a new card that appears in the game. Click the video link below to watch them all.
Hero Reveal Videos: Click the video link below to watch all of our Hero Reveals, or click the one you're interested in here: Races | Commander | Gambler | Gladiator | Merchant | Psion | Templar | Artificer | Defilist | Dervish | Whip Master | Assassin | Expansion Races | Expansion Roles
HEXplore It Video Tutorials: We've developed a number of videos to walk new players through various game processes. Click the video link below to watch them all, or click the specific one you're interested in here: Anatomy of a Role | Anatomy of a Race | Anatomy of a Trait | Reading Masteries | Game Board Explained | Stat Tests | Currency, Food, and Items | Game Turn Sequence | Game Difficulty | Combat Rounds
Social Sharing: Our next Stretch Goal is just around the corner, but we could use your help spreading the news! The easiest way to do so is to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, BGG, or YouTube and spread this campaign link in the forums you're a part of. Here are a few extra handy links:
Shipping will be handled in bulk by our fulfillment partner to provide customs-friendly shipping. The above table shows our estimated shipping costs. The right column displays the amount of shipping cost that is added to your pledge at checkout.
Tariff Disclaimer: Due to the uncertainty of the current administration as it relates to tariffs, these shipping costs are subject to change. Our promise to you is that we’ll only change our pricing structure if we’re forced into that situation. Thankfully, tariffs were not enacted earlier in 2019; we’re simply adding this disclaimer to be transparent with you. If you’re unaware of how tariffs can affect the board game industry, check out this article: https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/5/18652411/trump-china-tariff-board-games.
Flat Kickstarter Shipping Rates: One thing you'll find about our campaign, we're locking in our shipping prices based on the structure shown above. You won't pay any additional shipping costs for more content! Pay the shipping cost once, and load up on multiple products to lock in the best pricing. This pricing is only available for our Kickstarter backers only!
Our first campaign delivered on time, and our second campaign delivered 3 months later than we had promised. This is largely due to the fact that we created 3 new boxes and remastered a fourth (volume 1 core). We are confident the time frame shown above (delivery to backers August of 2020) will be met or exceeded.
Our Manufacturing Partner: We expect to team with Panda Manufacturing to produce the products found in Volume III. We're extremely happy with the quality of the components found in each of our previous volumes and are excited to work with them once again.
Our Pledge Manager Partner: Once again we're partnering with the helpful and somewhat ferocious gnomes at Pledge Manager to ensure your experience is a great one. You'll be able to alter your order and manage all add ons in our Pledge Manager shortly after the campaign ends.
We wanted to take a moment to say thank you, and to tell you a little about our company. We are a small team who greatly desires to bring you all fun and fulfilling content that can be used in a multitude of ways (even ways we haven’t dreamed up of yet!).
The HEXplore It line was developed because there is a sort of fierce enjoyment that comes from telling a great story. The kind of story that evolves and changes because of the people telling it.
We are not a large company, and we rely on Kickstarter because we need your help and support to make these games a reality. Thank you for your consideration!
Risks and challenges
This is our 3rd Kickstarter campaign in the HEXplore It series. We're a small company but have learned a great deal about what it takes to produce high quality games and ship them all across the world, despite the varied difficulties that can arise with undertaking such an adventure.
As with our previous campaigns, if you're unsatisfied with the condition of any of the components you receive, we'll replace them. This minimizes the risk to you.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)