About this project
Our Kickstarter campaign is now over, but you can find more information about Pantelligent and order your own on the Pantelligent website.
Frying pans have barely changed in thousands of years, but Pantelligent is the next evolutionary leap in the kitchen: a frying pan that actually helps you cook. Pantelligent has a temperature sensor inside it that communicates with the Pantelligent smartphone app. Together, the pan and the app guide you to cook everything perfectly, just the way a professional chef (or your mom!) would cook it. No more overcooked, undercooked, or burned food. You’ll know exactly when the pan is at the right temperature, when it's time to flip or stir, and when your food is perfectly done.
Here's a video of Humberto cooking scallops on Pantelligent. No cuts or edits, just Pantelligent!
Pantelligent makes everything you can make in a frying pan, because it is a frying pan -- only smarter. The frying pan is the workhorse of the kitchen. Walk into any commercial kitchen and you’ll find multiple stations with multiple pans on burners. Pantelligent helps you cook anything you can cook with a regular frying pan, only smarter, and perfect every time.
Pantelligent already comes with dozens of recipes all meticulously crafted for Pantelligent by our chefs. These special recipes go beyond a normal recipe by including time and temperature profiles that our app uses to guide you to perfect results.
- Blackened Tilapia
- Mushroom Risotto
- Seared Scallops
- Pasta Carbonara
- Bhindi Masala
- and many more...
Download the app to see all the recipes that are currently available, and there are more on the way!
Cooking with Pantelligent is easy! Simply open our app and choose what you want to cook.
Follow the preparation steps for the ingredients, and when everything is ready, hit Start Cooking.
The app will tell you how hot the pan is, how hot it should be, and let you know when its time to add ingredients, stir or flip. Just follow the alerts and adjust the heat to keep the actual temperature (red line) near the target temperature (green line). Pantelligent makes it super easy to understand and control the two primary variables of cooking: time and temperature.
Pantelligent monitors the cooking and lets you know when the food is done!
The key is Pantelligent’s patent pending design that accurately measures the temperature of the pan’s cooking surface. Then, Pantelligent connects to your smartphone wirelessly via Bluetooth Low Energy and our app does the rest, guiding you to perfectly seared scallops, crispy bacon, or moist, juicy chicken.
If you’re an experienced chef looking for the repeatability of temperature control, you don’t need to follow a recipe. Freestyle mode lets you see the current temperature of the pan, and set a target temperature on the fly. Like a sous chef that never gets distracted, the Pantelligent app will continuously monitor the pan temperature and alert you if it moves away from your desired target. You won't know how useful this is until you try it! If you stumble upon a great recipe you want to be able to consistently cook, just record it using our record mode.
Pantelligent is more than just a temperature sensor in a frying pan. It’s an entirely new experience in the kitchen.
1. Repeatable results every time. It’s no longer a roll-of-the-dice to see how your dinner will turn out. It’s not about intuition and training; it’s science. You will cook more often when you know that the results will be tasty.
2. Hands-free monitoring. Pantelligent provides visual alerts and uses text-to-speech, just like GPS while driving. You don’t have to be standing near the stove because Pantelligent stays connected from up to 50 feet away.
3. Kitchen multitasking enabled. Get a head start on cleanup, cook another dish or two in parallel, or help the kids with their homework. Whatever life has in store, Pantelligent is a reliable sous chef that’s always keeping an eye on your meal for you.
4. New recipes unlocked instantly. Even experienced chefs can’t recreate a new recipe perfectly the first time. But with Pantelligent, recipes have a new layer of time and temperature data that enables repeatability from the first run. Discover new recipes from Pantelligent’s recipe book, or record your own.
5. Record Mom’s recipes forever. Pantelligent’s app has a “Record Recipe” mode which enables you to capture an expert’s cooking and then follow the same steps again later. Keep the recorded recipe for yourself or share it with friends and family.
6. Less stress in the kitchen. Is it done yet? Should I give it another minute? How do I even know when a pork chop is done? When we put Pantelligent in the homes of our beta testers, the first thing they told us is how stress-free cooking with Pantelligent is. They no longer had to stick to the same three meals, because Pantelligent took away the anxiety of cooking new recipes.
7. Enjoy your guests. Host a dinner party and spend time with your guests, not chained to the stove. Pantelligent is like an extra host and frees you to be with the people you care about.
8. Restaurant quality food without the price tag. The average restaurant spends only a third of an entree’s price tag on ingredients. When you cook for yourself with Pantelligent, you can get the same or better meals and pocket the difference — Pantelligent quickly pays for itself!
9. Share kitchen responsibilities. If your spouse or significant other does all the cooking, we’re sure they’d love some help. Pantelligent lets you contribute to every meal and even impress the people you care about.
10. Healthier for you and your family. Author and journalist Michael Pollan, in his latest book, Cooked, stumbles upon the secret for healthier eating: “Cook it yourself. Eat anything you want — just as long as you’re willing to cook it yourself.”
Pantelligent lets you cook delicious, healthy, restaurant quality meals in your home, without ever burning a single dinner, or stressing about a recipe. If you’re interested in cooking great meals for yourself and the people you care about, Pantelligent will help you get there.
Yes! But don’t just take our word for it. We’ve had dozens of prototype pans in the homes of beta testers for most of 2014. Listen to what our current users have to say.
Check out Pantelligent in the news!
Pantelligent smart frying pan and app can teach you to cook - Chicago Tribune
A Smart Pan That Helps You Cook Like A Chef - NPR All Tech Considered
Pantelligent is one smart frying pan - Gizmag
We’re a team of four MIT engineers who love building things that make people’s lives better. Humberto and Mike founded their first startup, NerdKits, out of their dorm room at MIT and launched CircuitLab in San Diego before moving to the San Francisco Bay Area. They bring with them valuable experience shipping both software and hardware, and building products people love using. Yuan joins us from Chicago with a background in enterprise and mobile software from his years in the finance sector. Kyle is our hardware guru, having previously worked at a design and engineering consulting company in Boston bringing to production everything from children’s toys to medical devices. We are now working together in sunny Mountain View, California. Pantelligent is proud to be backed by Y Combinator and some fantastic angel investors and mentors.
Our team is small, and we are full of passion, ingenuity, and resourcefulness. Over the past year, we’ve poured our hearts into Pantelligent, and the result is really delicious food! We’ve already come this far, and with your help, we can bring Pantelligent into every kitchen in the world!
We have a complete design, functional prototypes, and dozens of real working units in the homes of beta testers. Our current prototypes are machined and assembled by hand, so we’re familiar with the process. The final production version will be similar to our prototypes with only a few differences (industrial design details, geometry, color and finish, etc.) as we continue working with our vendors on the road to full-scale production.
We’ve gone through a number of iterations on the electronics and firmware, and at this point we’re happy with the manufacturability of the PCB assembly, the calibration and testing procedure, the accuracy of the sensor reading, the battery life, and the radio signal range.
The handle will be molded out of a commercial-grade thermoset plastic resin, the same material used for high-quality frying pan handles. The pan will be die cast specially for Pantelligent with features to house the sensor. We have developed a proprietary, patent pending process to reliably install the temperature sensor onto the pan. The funds raised on Kickstarter will be used for creating the dies, setting up tooling, obtaining regulatory approval, and completing the first Pantelligent production run. We expect the first production pans to ship out to backers in August 2015.
We started working on Pantelligent over a year ago, and as you can see, we’ve come a long way since then. The very first proof-of-concept was literally aluminum plates glued to the bottom of a frying pan and wired to a breadboard! After many iterations, we have locked down the electronics, hardware design, software, and completed a small test run with our Chinese pan manufacturer. The Pantelligent app is ready and already available in the App Store. All we need now is your help to order the first production run!!!
Great food is meant to be shared, don’t you agree? Please help spread the word by sharing our project with your friends and family.
Press or media? Click here to download our press kit.
Risks and challenges
For a complex hardware project such as this, there are two major risks. The first is technical risk that the functionality and features promised by the creators turn out to be very difficult or even impossible to implement. The second is supplier risk, as creators sometimes find that certain parts of their design cannot be manufactured in a timely or cost-effective manner.
We’ve attempted to mitigate both these risks by building a fully functional prototype before starting our Kickstarter campaign. We’ve already hand-assembled over 100 prototypes as we iterate with our subassembly vendors to meet our demanding specifications. We’ve verified that our design works, and our beta testers have logged hundreds of hours of cooking time on our prototypes to date. All the vendors needed to create Pantelligent at scale have already been identified and are ready to work with us.
Of course, nothing ever goes exactly according to plan, and our time estimates reflect that. There is a significant amount of buffer time built into our production timeline to account for any unforeseen circumstances. We have high confidence that we can deliver your Pantelligent by summer 2015.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (48 days)