Silentcandle Games brings you: Heroes of Estaria - a Fantasy Roleplaying Game aimed at Tabletop Gamers of just about any skill level. This game uses it's own unique D6 system.
In short, we propose to release a fun, action oriented game that's packed with tons of colorful options. With your support, we can make this happen.
This product will come in both a Light Version and a Full Version.
- Light Version: The 5 Core Rulebooks.
- Full Version: The 5 Core Rulebooks, 2 Play Mats, 40 Hero Sheets, 40 Enemy Sheets, 40 Ability/Trait Cards, Combat Guide, Dice, and 216 Shards (punch out tokens) to represent characters, status effects, treasure, wounds, and more.
- 40 Powerful Hero Classes: Astrologists, Engineers, Ninjas, and more.
- Primary/Subclass System
- 200 Traits, and 18 Feats to Rank Up
- Dynamic D6-based Combat System: Prepare for some wild combat, where just a few dice rolls can shift the tide of battle.
- Localized Damage & Wounds
- Colorful Status Effects
- Crafting System: Simple, fun, and robust. Brew potions, craft bullets & arrows, or build gadgets.
- Monster Creation Kit
- NPC & Treasure Generators
- Unique Items & Keepsakes: Cherry Bombs, Voodoo Dolls, Icicle Stix, Stardust Flasks, Mechanical Fireflies, and so on.
- 25 Diverse Weapons: Swords, Hammers, Axes, Bows, Guns, Staves, Orbs, Shrunken Heads, Battle Wrenches, Bladed Guitars, etc.
- Mini-Sample Campaign
- Game Master Tools: Role-playing Tips, Campaign Creator, Loyalty System, Bonus Tokens, Descent to Madness System, and so much more.
The Hall of Heroes
The Hall of Heroes will be a list of everyone that's backed us during this Kickstarter. This list will be included in the game, either on the game box or in the Advanced Rulebook's "Gods & Guilds" section. Pledging as much as $1 will get your name into the game.
There will also be 2 other types of backer rewards:
- Physical Rewards: The Game & Artwork
- Digital Rewards: PDF's & Community Chest Involvement
The Community Chest
The Community Chest will be a Free PDF expansion to the game that will be released in 2019. You, the supporters, may determine what content it's filled with. We want you feel involved in this project, so we're going to offer you the option of including your own ideas into our game; With your name next to it. Based on your pledge, you'll be able to give us a concept, and we'll make it happen!
- You pledge $15, and are awarded 1 Consumable Item.
- You would love it if the game featured "John's Holy Hand Grenade".
- Give us a general concept of what it is & what it does.
- We implement it into the expansion as an official part of the game!
These unique Kickstarter rewards aim to get your great ideas canonized. It's a special shout-out to you the backer, that also commits us to improving and expanding upon the product.
We'll balance and playtest your content to ensure that it flows seamlessly within our game. Keep in mind, you'll also be able to enjoy the cool ideas that others have submitted!
High Fantasy with a dash of Apocalypse and Steampunk.
Heroes of Estaria takes place in an alternate universe, where Earth has fused with a nearby planet: The Magical Planet of Abyssia. This event is known as The Fusion, and only an intense, unfathomable magic could make such a event possible.
Possible does not mean safe, however. The Fusion brought foreign magic, evil, ecosystems, and elements into the land. Furthermore, it flooded certain areas of the planet with radiation. Now, hellish creatures and feral mutants roam the land, while safe food and water are scarce.
This event took place during the mid 1700's, right before the Industrial Revolution; Forever changing Earth's take on technology. Now, 300 some years later, technology has taken on an early clockwork styled route, with a hint of modern to advanced Steampunk.
Since the 1700's, some generations of humans underwent rapid mutation; An odd effect of magic amplifying radiation. Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, and a few other races are the byproducts of this effect. Therefore, the ancestry of many traditional races can be traced back to humans.
The setting can always take place in the current year (2018), just in a much different universe.
Lore & Setting Flexibility
While this game does provide sufficient story, we keep Lore light and unobtrusive. In fact, you'll find that most of our rulebooks are straight to the point, with minimal fluff. This game's story can be ignored, and played in any setting, from early medieval to late sci-fi (there is a section for this in the Advanced Rulebook.)
Don't worry, we still offer plenty of Lore where it counts, we just don't push it. What matters most, is that this game is flexible enough to allow you to play the kind of game you want to.
Heroes of Estaria is played like a traditional roleplaying game; Pencil, paper, and dice. You'll have one person lead the game narrative (the Game Master, or GM), while the others (Hero Players) create, control, and roleplay out their Heroes. For optimal gameplay, we plan on suggesting the following:
- Play with 3-5 Players (1 GM and 2-4 Heroes)
- Have at least 1 person (ideally the Game Master) thoroughly read all of the books and learn the system well. Once learned, it's very easy to teach.
- Play at a large table with plenty of room. If you bought the full version, setting out the tokens into reachable stacks can help a lot.
- Bookmark important sections.
Heroes of Estaria primarily uses a D6 system. The only exception to this rule, is when you use percentile die to roll for items and equipment. Other than that, no other die are necessary.
There are 5 Core Rulebooks, and each book is 38 pages. Each page is packed with text and content, so each one goes a long way.
- Basic Rulebook -Learn the basic mechanics of the game.
- Advanced Rulebook - Explore additional, situational, and optional content. A more in depth view of some of the basic rules can be found here as well.
- Character Creation - Learn about the attributes, character sheet, EXP, and how to create your character.
- Class Book - For the Hero Players. Information on the classes can be found here.
- GM Book - For the Game Master. Learn how to run the game, and how to create everything, from NPC's, Monsters, to full blown campaigns.
Similar games use a couple of 200-400+ page rulebooks. Our advantage here, is that multiple books are easier to share, easier to look through, and overall, quicker to read.
With a D6 system, critical hits/successes and critical misses/failures happen much more often (as one might expect from dangerous, real life combat.) Since combat can shift back and forth so fluidly, this design can keep you engaged and on the edge of your seat.
A few bad roles won't outright kill you, but it'll definitely put you on the defensive real quick. You might be dodging firebolts all combat, then suddenly find yourself ablaze as you critically failed your Agility test against one. Fortunately, most status effects like 'Burning' incur damage at the end of your following turn, so you'll have fair amount of time to react.
On the flipside, you might have a combat where you're an outright superstar, critically hitting creatures left and right. The satisfaction we've seen players have critically hitting roughly 16% of the time has been an absolute blast.
(Naturally, characters will be able to invest in unique ways to modify certain dice rolls.)
For the reasons above, we've often seen combat shape a Hero's personality. Some Heroes may develop a fear of the undead after a traumatic combat where they critically failed so many times. Others may have been so unstoppable against the same undead, that they claim to have been temporarily infused with power of the gods.
Critical hits can deal wounds based on where you’ve decided to aim your attack, and the amount of wound stacks dealt is determined by your weapons, feats, and abilities.
- Head Wounds (Hinders the use of certain abilities)
- Upper Body Wounds (Hinders attacks)
- Lower Body Wounds (Hinders movement)
The world of Estaria is a colorful place that's brimming with magic.
The elemental stack system adds tons of flavor to combat, as well as a rock, paper, scissors aspect. Enemies are typically immune to 2-3 status effects, so you won't always be able to rely on the same 1 element.
Acid, Fire, Lightning, Ice, Earth, Water, Wind, Trauma (Blood & Force), Light, Darkness, and Poison; These elements can be used to quickly gain the advantage in combat. Each element is associated with one of the following status effects: Dissolve, Burning, Stun, Frost, Slow, Knockback, Blind, and Poison. Status effects gain cumulative stacks, and with enough stacks, become fatal.
You can accrue 1-10 stacks of each status effect, with many of them having a dire effect at 10 stacks. (Think of it as a 1-10 scale of how bad you have it.) For example, Frost will cause you to lose 3 HP at the end of your turn, for each stack that you have (you're suffering from frostbite.) At 10 stacks, you'll also become vulnerable to physical damage, taking double damage instead (you might shatter into chunks of ice.)
Holy and Unholy powers fall under the element of Almighty Damage. In Estaria, these 2 powers are on the opposite ends of the same spectrum, or straw if you will.
Instant speed actions can help players stay involved in combat when it's not their turn. These actions may be performed at any time, even while in the middle of being attacked. There are a few ways to perform instant speed actions; Holding an action is one example, and the use of an ability is another. Some abilities passively allow it, while others may have to be activated beforehand. Clearly, the use of instants is limited to some degree for balance reasons.
Crafting is simplified and incredibly useful. Quality materials (emphasis on quality) can be converted into units, which can then be repurposed into just about anything. In short, dwarven canister technology.
Crafting consists of 3 main types of units:
Alchemical Units (A.U.)
Material Units (M.U.)
- Technological Units (T.U.)
Units can then be turned into useful consumable items or gadgets. Here are a few examples of the recipes in the game:
- Health Potion = 3 A.U.
- Throwing Knife = 3 M.U.
- Tesla Rod = 10 T.U. + 5 M.U.
*Of course, you'll need the required Craft Mastery stat to craft certain tiers of items and gadgets.
Your core attributes are straightforward, and directly affect your stats (listed after the attribute.)
- Constitution (CON) = Hit Points (HP), Vitality
- Agility (AGI) = Speed, Initiative, Ranged Attack Damage
- Strength (STR) = Armor, Melee Attack Damage
- Willpower (WILL) = Spell Armor, Minion Mastery, Resistance
- Intellect (INT) = Spell Mastery, Healing Mastery, Craft Mastery
- Charisma (CHR) = Song Effect, Minion Speed, Minion Damage
It’s important to note that these attributes aren’t just for stats. They also affect your attribute test scores, a vital part of this game.
The 7th attribute is known as Technique (TEC). This attribute allows Heroes to quickly increase specific stats and learn abilities; Without having to worry about investing into attributes that may not seem important to their character. (For example, a Warrior may not want to invest too heavily into Intelligence, just to be more efficient at spell casting.)
This allows for greater freedom and specialization of Hero builds. You can increase TEC the same way you would increase any other attribute; By spending an Attribute Point to increase it. It’s important to note that TEC is never subject to an attribute test. Therefore, investing too much into TEC will cause your common saves to suffer.
Pick a race (12 races)
Pick a Primary and a Subclass (40 Classes)
Pick Starting Gear (25 weapons and shield to choose from, then starting consumable items.)
- Pick Hero Level 1 Awards (Learn Abilities and spend Attribute Points.)
Character creation is kept simple at first, so you can get the game started quickly. Upon reaching Hero Level 2, more options become available, such as feats and traits.
Gold is the primary currency of this world, and can take the shape of coins or a gold paper alloy (paper money.)
You're going to find lots of loot in this game: Swords, Hammers, Snipers, Shotguns, Pistols, Spears, Staves, Shrunken Heads, Battle Wrenches, and even Bladed Guitars. There's pages of Consumable Items, Keepsakes, Wands, Unique Rings & Accessories, and even Mods (Magical Tattoos/Cybernetic Enhancements) to outfit your character with as well.
After that, there's tables that determine your equipment's Design (or in other games, Enchantment.) You can expect anything from a common +1 Sword of Burning to an exceptionally rare +5 Helmet of Minion Damage, that enhances your Minion Damage stat by 5.
Hero Credits, H.C., is a second currency that can only be used to buy consumable items. This is a huge incentive to actually use those cool consumable items of yours!
The Experience system in Heroes of Estaria is a combination of immediate points to spend, and level awards. Naturally, you gain bonuses from leveling up, such as the ability to learn new feats, traits, and abilities. It takes 6 EXP (Experience Points) to gain a level.
- 1 EXP is awarded for a play session lasting 3 or less hours.
- 2 EXP are awarded for play session lasting 4+ hours.
Each time you earn 1 EXP, you will also gain 1 Attribute Point that you may immediately use. You may spend 1 Attribute Point to permanently increase any of your attributes by 1, to a max of 12. There is no max level in this game, only a soft level cap.
In Heroes of Estaria, the class system is not as strict as one might assume. It exists to give you a helpful start and a role to fill upon creation. After that, there are plenty of ways for you to learn abilities from classes outside of your own.
Your primary and subclass determine your Forcebreak (Ultimate Ability), your starting items, and what abilities you can inherently learn early on. Simply put, at the following levels you’ll learn:
- Level 1: 2 Primary Class abilities and 1 Subclass ability.
- Level 2: 1 Ability from either your Primary or Subclass.
- Level 3: 1 Ability from any class of your choice.
Level 4: 1 Ability from any class of your choice.
- Level 5: 1 Ability from any class of your choice. etc.
40 Playable Classes
There are 40 classes to mix and match. Many of these classes offer interesting synergies among each other. Here is the list:
Melee Fighters: Berserker / Monk / Night Lasher / Ninja / Samurai / Soldier / Tempest / Warrior / Werebeast
Defenders: Guardian / Justicar / Paladin / Warden
Mages: Acidomancer / Azure Battlemage / Geomancer / Hydromancer / Invoker / Pyromancer / Sorceror / Tinker
Support: Alchemist / Astrologist / Bard / Battle Brother / Captain / Conjurer / Enchanter / High Priest / Low Priest / Thief
Ranged Fighters: Ballista / Decimator / Deck Master / Gunner / Hunter
Summoners: Druid / Engineer / Jester / Necromancer
Each Class Contains:
- Flavor & Lore
- 12 Abilities to choose from
- Starting Items
- 1 Forcebreak (Ultimate Ability)
Some even have Class Features, but these typically apply to the abilities associated with that class. (For example, the Paladin class feature is to choose 1 of 8 paths. You choose the Path of Flames. Your Paladin abilities now associate themselves with the status effect 'Burning'.)
The Game Master has plenty of tools to help start the campaign, bring it together, and keep it under control. Here are some of the following features:
- Loyalty System – This system helps Heroes stay driven towards the main quest and encourages teamwork. Loyalty Points are awarded for reaching certain milestones of your story. These points may be traded in for various rewards, like treasure or the ability to respec their Hero.
- Bonus Tokens – Incentive for Hero Players to roleplay their characters. Alternatively, you may award these for any reason you want. These tokens allow a Hero to reroll any 1 dice. Given how dangerous this game can be, they end up being a major factor in almost any party.
- NPC Generator – A series of tables that help generate race, appearance, personalities, professions, etc.
- Enemy Creation Kit – This allows you to quickly create enemies using a simple system. Pick the attributes, the trait(s), the attacks and abilities, height/weight/name, flavor the enemy, and you’re good to go! (This system even includes an ability creation kit as well, for experienced GM’s.)
- Pawn System - Pawns are 1 of 3 enemy types (Pawns, Monsters, Bosses.) They have 1 HP and 3 Speed. All they do is move and attack, so no character sheet is necessary. These simple minions work as great cannon fodder with minimal management on your part.
- Mini-Sample Campaign – A small sample campaign that contains about 10-15 hours of gameplay. Ease into the game, get familiar with it, and enjoy. The main focus is to show you how to run the game. Has an open ending so any GM can insert their story afterwards.
- Descent into Madness – A system designed for those, “troublesome” players. Not designed to punish, this system allows any toxic player to accrue stages of madness on their Hero, leading to an epic, yet pre-warned ending for a toxic Hero, as opposed to a sour farewell.
Of course, this game includes plenty of other content, like roleplaying tips, tricks, and preparation advice for Game Masters (GM's).
We are offering 3 stretch goals, that only exist to make this game better.
Stretch Goal #1
This stretch goal will help us afford better artwork for both the Fusion Born and Ghouls, the primary 2 enemies of this world.
Stretch Goal #2
With this, we'll be able to afford better artwork for 2 of the Guilds: "The Godless" and "The Watchers of the Desert Nightfire".
Stretch Goal #3
A vibrant, full color map of one of the main continents in Estaria, that will either be featured on the backside of every game box, or printed off and included with the Full Version.
While not a stretch goal, any support past this point will be used to create a much better website for our game (that ideally includes a forum.) If reached, this part would take some time, as we'd be looking to subcontract this one out.
Silentcandle Games™ consists of a married couple and numerous volunteers. Our goal is to offer a unique and rewarding experience to the roleplayers this game might appeal to.
We've been fortunate to have some of the coolest people playtest our game. One of the best times we had, was when the previous owner of The Fort, Preston Skinner, shut down the store early so he could continue playtesting with us late into the night, well after close, and early into the morning.
"Heroes of Estaria is a fantastic tabletop roleplaying game that gives players endless choices on how to build and play their characters!"
- Preston Skinner, Former owner of The Fort
John Welch - Primary Founder of Silentcandle Games and creator of Heroes of Estaria. John graduated from the University of Iowa with a B.A. in Business Management and has been currently working as an assistant manager at a large company for over 5 years now. Naturally, his inspirational hobbies include roleplaying games, video games, cosplay, anime, and everything in between.
Xiusha Chen - Cocreator of Heroes of Estaria. Originally from China, Xiusha graduated from Iowa State University with a B.A. in Industrial Design. She currently pursues her passion in food, while working as technical and design support for Silentcandle Games. Her hobbies include roleplaying games, video games, photography, technology, cooking, cosplay, and anime.
Xiusha developed a passion for tabletop roleplaying games when she found out it could help her get past her language barrier, shyness, and quiet nature.
We've had some pretty amazing playtesters and passionate volunteers. Some of our playtesters enjoyed the game so much, that they wanted to take pictures to support us. So, we let them!
Other volunteers, like the one's in the video, have also been a huge boon for us. We owe them our upmost thanks for helping us get to this point!
Karina (Chirun) is our Russian artist. She's an absolute joy to work with, and her artwork style absolutely resonates with our setting. She can be found here: https://chirun.deviantart.com/
This music is awesome and we're grateful for their skills.
Essence by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution licence (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/...)
Admittedly, social media is not our strong point. Our Facebook is running well, but our other social media are newer and not well established. Therefore, any support you can give us here would be truly appreciated.
Facebook - You can learn plenty more about our game on our facebook page!
Youtube - We are slowly but surely releasing videos on our Youtube. One of the most recent ones walks you through Character Creation.
Twitter - Not the best for promoting our game, but we're trying!
Silentcandlegames.com - Our website currently is out of date and uses royalty free artwork. This is one of the reasons for our kickstarter!
Shipping and Manufacturing will be handled by thegamecrafter.com, a reputable company founded in 2001.
They've been a pleasure to work with and have already supplied us prototypes for testing. Prototypes have been shipped from to Florida, Texas, Illinois, and Iowa without any problems.
Risks and challenges
What are the Risks?
Risks are minimal, as the content is finished and book formatting is 90% finished (we want to reorganize a few things, like changing the order of our 12 races from population to alphabetical.) That being said, here are the Top 3 Risks we can think of:
We plan to deliver by late 3rd quarter (by September) and in a perfect world that should happen. However, manufacturing delays, shipping delays, and potential last minute edits are all possible realities. In addition, if we reach our Stretch Goals, we might have to give our Artist some extra time, so we'll keep you up to date!
While we hate to think of this as a possible reality, it is for all products. We have yet to run into a person that outright dislikes Heroes of Estaria, but it does host a slew of unique mechanics that might not be for everybody. Silentcandle Games is also a newer company and Heroes of Estaria is our first product, so that in itself is a risk.
3. Community Chest.
The Community Chest is scheduled to launch in 2019. If something happens to our personal health, or we receive an excessive amount of donators, this could get pushed back. In addition, we'll try our absolute best to implement your ideas into this free expansion, but can't guarantee that you'll like the implementation. (We mostly just have to say this to protect ourselves from trolls.) For example, we're not going to implement a game breaking 1,000 Damage Sword called "**** Eater" into the game, no matter how bad you want it.
- To afford company trademarks.
- To afford fees with starting an LLC.
- To improve our website (maybe hire a web designer.)
- To Ensure Interest & Longevity with the Community Chest.
- More beautiful artwork.
Without this kickstarter, we won't be able to afford trademarking fees (we own the trademark, just need to file a statement of use). If this kickstarter is unsuccessful, we won't have the interest to justify starting up an LLC either. Therefore, this kickstarter does have a strong purpose!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)