Looks like my Hiatus is about to be over with…
I am back in the USA for the foreseeable future, I finally got my home shipment back from Ireland and have been unpacking and getting settled it…
Just about there now, and it’s time to start building rockets again…
The first order of business it to finish up the large test engine and associated mobile test stand.
To that end, I delivered the control system components we have accumulated from our Kickstarter funding to our friends at Maverick Technologies where they are building the control panel for us…
More to come soon!
I really have to apologize for being on such a hiatus lately and not posting for so long. Quite frankly, I am not very good at the social media and I really need to get better at it…
I did send out a newsletter to our email distribution the end of July but for any of those who are not on that list, here is the link to see it if you'd like…
The only other update since the newsletter is that, after some trouble finding it, we have purchased to HTPB for the large engine and will be loading it soon…
In early December I will be back in the United States, to stay for the foreseeable future, and we will be resuming in earnest…
We received a special delivery of our 10" Rocket Motor this past weekend. I want to provide a special mention to our friend and Kickstarter supporter, Tony Needham. He and his friends helped us source the material, fabricate the motor and he personally delivered it to our shop. With help from people like Tony, I am confident we are going to succeed in our long term endeavor!
Our large rocket motor is about 10" is diameter, 8 feet long, and has the capability to put out over 5,000lbs of thrust! The casing is a single piece of seamless stainless steel. The flanges are very beefy; too heavy for flight testing, but great for ground testing. They will help both secure the test stand to the motor and provide an ideal location for our load cell, which will calculate our thrust.
Quick Update here. First, I'd like to show you the latest test firing we performed:
This was our best firing of our 3" motor to date! Our two-stage test utilized two different feed lines, starting off with a low oxidizer flow rate and then switching over to a high oxidizer flow rate. You can see the difference in thrust when the switch happens halfway through the video! We've maxed out the oxidizer flow rate we can achieve using a 50lb nitrous bottle.
For our next firing, we're going to:
- Replace the external SS nozzle with an internal graphite nozzle.
- Test out some thermal protect applicators to the head the motor.
- Streamline the plumbing on the injector side to move the pressure transducer closer to the pre-combustion chamber.
We've also started work on designing our 10" Motor Test Stand. Here's a preliminary mockup:
The test stand is going to drawn up in AutoDesk (a Computer Aided Drawing program) and force-tested using ANSYS (a computer-aided engineering program), then we'll start building the platform.
My goal is to provide you an end-of-January update with another test fire video, more work on the 10" test stand, a couple of screenshots of the Hermes in AutoDesk, and some pictures of the 10" motor being built.
I hope you're as excited as I am about all of the work being done! Thank you for your continued support!