Over 100 of the world’s top Mad Men break down how the ad industry lost its way—and what the future will look like if we don't fix it.
Since we have achieved our goal for the iPad app (thank you!), all additional pledges will go directly to funding the Android app version as our stretch goal! If you would like to see about that version after we have concluded, email us: android [at] heresy.co.
Think you're fed up with advertising? Then spare a thought for those of us who work in the industry. We've seen it change from a dynamic, passionate and creative oasis of ideas to a soulless desert of production, focused only on squeezing out every last $, £, €, and ¥.
We want to fix it. So we're creating a manifesto – a book – in both an interactive, digital version and standard print format, where you will:
Hear first-hand from respected ad industry insiders as they share their insights into how our industry lost its prestigious position as the central advisor to brands and marketers.
Cringe in disbelief at tales of self-delusion and self-destruction as agencies fail year-after-year-after-year to establish credibility in the new digital landscape.
Study the telling trends, which are forcing radical change and innovation upon agencies, companies, and brands of all sizes and persuasions.
Learn directly from change agents in pivotal positions how they have transformed their own agencies and organizations with fresh thinking and revolutionary new approaches.
Discover how Fortune 100 marketers and leading ad agencies are throwing out the old business models by embracing exciting new technologies to compete in an increasingly volatile global arena.
Explore what the business could and should look like for agencies and marketers five years from now.
And more importantly,
Create your own roadmap for survival in the ever more complex and cut-throat business of advertising and marketing.
Please take a look at the many rewards for the pledge levels on the right of this page and pre-order your copy now! And if you'd be so kind, spread the word to your networks.
100+ advertising, marketing and branding luminaries have enthusiastically agreed to be part of the book that will help transform our industry. They've generously shared their insights, anecdotes, experiences, frustrations, opinions, and perspectives (100 have already been interviewed or submitted content with many others scheduled).
Here are just some of our contributors:
- Global Chairman and CEO, Y&R and the weekly ramble
- Global CEO, Organic
- Global CEO, VML
- Managing Director, VML Australia and Digital Buzz
- Co-Founder / Chairman and CEO, Razorfish and Dachis Group
- Co-Founder / Global Business Development, Razorfish and Organic
- Chief Creative Officer, SapientNitro NYC
- Executive Creative Director, SapientNitro Asia Pacific
- Executive Creative Director, R/GA and Ad Aged
- Director Business Transformation, R/GA and Being Peter Kim
- Chief Innovation Officer, Mullen and Creativity_Unbound
- Head of Digital, Dentsu
- CEO, Dentsu Digital India
- CMO, Microsoft Asia Pacific
- Jordan Brand Marketing Director, Nike
- Global VP Digital & Social Marketing and CRM, Nokia
- Director of Product Marketing Planning, Nokia Worldwide
- North American Consumer and SMB Exec Director, Dell
- Former Chairman and Exec Creative Director, Batey Ads
- Head of Digital, American Express Asia
- Communications Director, HP
- Regional Marketing Director, Samsung
- CEO, Omnicom Media Group Asia
- Vice President, Omnicom Digital
- Managing Director of Ad Agency Relationships, Google
- Senior Vice President of Digital, Edelman and dave fleet
- Senior Vice President, ComScore
- Regional Creative Director, Ogilvy & Mather
- Regional Creative Director, Saatchi & Saatchi
- Executive Creative Director, BBH NYC
- Executive Creative Director, BBH Asia
- Executive Creative Director, JWT
- Managing Partner, BBH India
- Chief Digital Officer / ECD, DDB Group and Tribal DDB Singapore
- Executive Director, Art Directors Club and IHAVEANIDEA
- CEO, Hoffman | Lewis and The Ad Contrarian
- Executive Creative Director, gyro and Gods of Advertising
- Founder / Columnist, Adrants and Playboy's The Smoking Jacket
- Founder, Adland.tv
- Regional Managing Partner, The Observatory
- Managing Director, Buddy Media / Salesforce.com Marketing Cloud
- Head of Marketing, CrowdTwist
- CEO, M&C Saatchi Asia
- CEO, Publicis Greater China
- CEO, BBDO Greater China
- Former Director of Strategic Innovations, Visa International
- Director Creative Innovation, Saatchi & Saatchi NYC and Hyper Island
- Former President, OgilvyOne Worldwide
- Business Unit Head, Ogilvy Africa
- Vice President - Digital Marketing, DMG’s ad:tech and iMedia
- Former Chief Strategy Officer, Digitas India
- Founder, eYeka
- Founder, The Bauhub
- Co-Founder, Betabüro
- EVP Education, American Association of Advertising Agencies
- Chief Technology Officer, the 4As
- Columnist — Innovation Insiders, CAMPAIGN Magazine
- Former Columnist and Editor, Advertising Age
- Senior Reporter, MarketingSherpa
- Senior Research Fellow, USC Annenberg School for the Digital Future
- Professor of the Practice of Advertising, Boston University
- Professor & Director Center for Brand Research, University of Texas
- ...and many more from WPP, Omnicom, Publicis, IPG, Dentsu, Havas, independents, collectives, crowdsourcers, individuals, influential industry bloggers, respected trade journalists and successful brands.
Digital Doesn’t Matter is meant to be ironic. In the early days of “new media,” “interactive” and “digital marketing” that was the oft-heard refrain and dismissive excuse for minuscule budgets and meager representation in the marketing mix. In the strategic, creative and financial estimations at that time, digital simply didn't register.
Now, with over a billion people on Facebook, mobile app mania and the digitization of TV, newspapers, magazines, radio and even outdoor – plus a multitude of exciting new media touchpoints – it seems EVERYTHING is digital. The term “digital” has become so ubiquitous, it's practically redundant. Yet, many agencies still partition it in its own silo instead of making it a natural, organic aspect of the strategic creative process.
Each chapter will be written from the perspective of a key role within an advertising, branding or marketing organization (aka ‘client’):
- Agency Management
- Marketing Strategy
- Brand Stewardship
- Creative Direction
- Account Management
- Strategic Planning
- Media Strategy
- Technical Direction
- Trade Journalism
- Data Analysis
- Social Media
- New Business Development
- Talent Development
- Agency Education
After the Book is Published
Our industry must continue to rapidly evolve and adapt as consumers and audiences become ever more sophisticated and engage with ever more personal media channels, devices and networks. And let's face it, the pace of change within advertising agencies to meet these challenges has been glacial at best.
With that in mind, this book will continue to evolve, grow and stay relevant. Our goal is to publish it as an iPad app (with Android to soon follow) with continually updating content. We hope to redefine what a “book” can be and that is what the Kickstarter money is really for.
Not only will this enable us to update chapters and add new ones from roles not yet covered, it means we can create an interface and user experience that will allow you to read the book however you want. You can select a particular perspective from which to read and the book will rearrange itself to best suit your interest. Or you can do it manually by swiping through top-level topics and, if intrigued, dive in and explore in detail.
Create a more personal experience through the ability to comment, annotate, or submit your own stories, feedback and ideas. This will become an online platform to support our industry in its effort to keep up with what the 21st century throws at us.
And if we're very fortunate and can exceed our Kickstarter goal, we hope to create "unlocked" goodies such as research (case studies – and insights and statistics about what makes "the work" effective or ineffective), education (best practices, hands on exercises, trends, resources, etc.) and community (forums, mentor matching programs, anonymous venting, ad critiques, etc.), areas that will work in concert with the eBook.
What The Funds Are For
Technology here in 2013 allows us to save a great deal of money collaborating on this book between us (Josh is in Austin, TX and John is in Brisbane, Australia and our interview subjects are literally all over the world), but this ambitious, comprehensive account of the industry still ain't cheap.
We're bootstrapping most of it, but the $30,000 is what we need to get us to the finish line with a:
- PDF eBook for download
- Kindle version
- hardcover, printed book
- and for developing the first version of the sexy and ultra interactive iPad app.
Expenses include, but not limited to:
- Transcribing the interviews
- Book editor
- Project manager
- Proofreaders/fact checkers
- Infographics design
- Licensing of copyrighted material
- iPad app development ($30,000+ just for this!)
- Video production
Please share this page with your colleagues and social networks.
Here is our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DigitalDoesntMatter
We thank you so much for your support in whatever form it takes!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We already have over 1,200 pages of transcribed interviews or submitted content for this 350-400 page book. We have a professional, experienced editor, and are gunning to launch in April at a major advertising and technology conference.
The challenge is the mammoth effort in organizing all of the content so we can do a stellar job weaving together the story. The previous six months have been spent coordinating the schedules of all of the very busy contributors and transcribing their voluminous submissions.
A bigger challenge will be the comprehensive iPad app version, but we have already created the detailed written specifications, dozens of wireframes, the technical plan, and have excellent designers and developers in hand and ready to go as soon as the funding is settled.
Yes. Absolutely. For the level of sophistication we are going for, it will be unwise for us to try to use a "write once, use anywhere" architecture model so we need to develop for each OS, independently. If we are successful with this Kickstarter campaign and raise the funds for the iPad, we will then move on to the Android version.
Fortunately, we will be able to leverage a lot of what we will be doing in the first development so it should not be nearly as costly to produce. We had to start somewhere and it looks like marketing and advertising professionals gravitate more toward Apple, eh?
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
A PDF copy of the chapter of your choice from the book. (e.g., Creative Direction, Agency Management, Strategic Planning, Account Management, Media Strategy, Brand Stewardship, etc.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
A copy of the entire first edition of the book in PDF format.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
The Kindle eBook version plus the entire first edition in PDF format.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
The continually updated interactive iPad version of the book plus the Kindle eBook and PDF versions.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
The continually updated interactive iPad version of the book plus a hardcover copy of the book plus the Kindle eBook and PDF versions.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
Be quoted in the book plus the continually updated interactive iPad version plus three (3) hardcover copies plus the Kindle eBook.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
Be interviewed for the book plus the continually updated interactive iPad version plus five (5) hardcover copies plus the Kindle eBook.Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
Receive a personalized hardcover edition (10 copies) of the book containing a foreword by you or someone in your company for distribution to your clients, be interviewed for the book plus receive the continually updated interactive iPad version plus the Kindle eBook.Estimated delivery:Add $25 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (2 left of 5)
A hands-on, exercise led workshop for your staff in your office by one of the authors on how to be more digitally effective and relevant (travel/lodging not included), be interviewed for the book plus the continually updated interactive iPad version plus twenty (20) hardcover copies plus the Kindle eBook.Estimated delivery:Add $40 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (3 left of 3)
The authors will carry out an assessment of your strategic creative offering, providing a written recommendation based on your stated goals that will culminate in a custom workshop at your office on how to be more digitally effective and relevant (travel/lodging not included), plus participate in an interview for the book and receive the continually updated iPad version of the book along with twenty-five (25) hardcover copies and the Kindle eBook.Estimated delivery:Add $50 USD to ship outside the US
- (46 days)