Patreon is a great service and I use it as a supporter, but I decided it wasn't the best fit for me for a few reasons:
- Kickstarter has a much wider reach
- Patreon is tailored for short-form works that are produced once a month or more. I can't make games that fast!
- On Patreon you typically get the money *after* the work is produced, not before
- On Patreon, supporters can cancel at any time, which makes it more unpredictable. I think I would worry constantly about the upcoming month and feel the need to always be promoting myself. One targeted campaign feels more manageable.
- I needed an all-or-nothing goal to see if this funding model is even possible. The alternative is charging money for my games, and I can't just decide to do that at a moment's notice (eg. if my Patreon support dries up). I need to plan for it and design the games around it.