About this project
We pride ourselves on handcrafting one of the most innovative frames in the industry, using the most sustainable resource on earth.
Hemp Eyewear is a 'world first', you will find nothing like our eyewear anywhere.
Our vision is promote hemp as a renewable resource through innovative design and unique products.
Our story began thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign back in 2014, raising 150% of our funding goal and over £37,000.
We’ve learned a lot over 2 years. Now we are focusing on premium quality eyewear. To do this, we are raising the funds for new machinery, allowing us to carry out 100% in house manufacture.
Hemp Eyewear is handmade from organic plant fibre, making our frames one of the most sustainable and innovative on the market. Our new range uses the same unique material as before, with a focus on premium quality:
- One of a Kind. Nature has no straight lines. Every frame has its own unique plant fibre pattern in the material, making your pair the only version in existence.
- Stronger & Lighter than Carbon Fibre. Our frames are stronger and lighter than carbon fibre, as well as being made from a natural and renewable material.
- Highest quality lenses. Carl Zeiss are industry leaders in lens technology and are used in every frame. Both both sunglasses and optical lenses are available.
- Precision Engineered: 5-Barrel Hinges. Our 5-barrel hinges are precision engineered in Germany from specialist high end metal.
- Personalised Engraving. Our eyewear is inherently one of a kind. To personalise your frame further, we can engrave your name or chosen text (up to 20 characters) into the inside of the arm.
- Special Edition - 100 Frames. Every engraved pair will be numbered from 01-100 (depending on your 'backer number') along with your name / choice of text.
- Handcrafted. Our handcrafted process is completed in our workshop using traditional artisanal techniques to ensure high quality finish and attention to detail.
- Temple Tips. Our temple tips are made from bio acetate which are 100% recyclable. Allowing for a precise fit that can be adjusted to suit you and in keeping with our sustainable concept.
- Titanium Nose Pads. Made from titanium and super lightweight, our nose pads can be adjusted to suit your exact fit.
- Vegan & Recyclable. Our products are both 100% vegan & recyclable. We use no animal derived materials in any of our processes.
We have 5 frame styles to choose from. They are specially designed so that either a sunglass lens OR a prescription lens can be fitted to your frame.
Our frames fit both men and women. For our premium range, we've included adjustable temple tips and nose pads for fine tweaking to your exact fit.
Choose your style...
High quality eyewear deserves only the best lenses. We use Carl Zeiss, specialists in lens technology, they have a reputation in the industry as producers of the finest lenses.
Our polarised sunglasses offer full 100% UV protection and tinted brown to complement our frames. Zeiss sunglass lenses are high end category 1, ensuring the best quality protection for your eyes.
Optical / Prescription Lenses.
Extraordinary visual quality, ZEISS optics are thin, lightweight and scratch resistant for perfect vision.
We can fit any prescription lens to our frames and offer the following:
-Transitional (sunglasses prescription)
Giving us your prescription. All you need to do is choose the 'Optical' reward. After the campaign ends, we will send you a survey and ask for your prescription, lens type and style of frame.
Over the past 2 years we have developed and perfected our manufacturing process. By combining a leading edge sustainable technology with traditional artisanal techniques, we have created the most innovative eyewear in the industry.
Hemp Eyewear is based in an old biscuit factory converted into a creative hub for designers, photographers and makers.
Located in Edinburgh, Scotland, our studio & workshop is where we design and handcraft every frame.
We use a leading edge sustainable technology to make solid material out of organic plant fibre. Hemp fibre is the most sustainable, eco friendly and diverse resource on earth, which is why it’s our material of choice.
Our solid hemp fibre is lighter and stronger than carbon fibre, plus eco friendly and renewable, making it an ideal solution to unsustainable plastic materials.
Every individual plant fibre forms its own pattern within the material, which makes every product ‘one of kind’ as no two will ever be the same.
Eyewear doesn't get much lighter than our frames.
Hemp is both eco friendly and renewable. But its diversity makes it the most beneficial natural resource we have.
Almost anything can be made from hemp without using fossil fuels. For example:
Rope, bio fuel, food, textiles, healthcare products, paper, car parts, building materials...
To show how diverse hemp is, we have created another 2 rewards for our backers, incorporating our solid hemp material in both…
Usually made from unsustainable plastic, our phone cases are eco friendly, unique and handmade from 100% hemp. Everything from the solid exterior, stitching and interior fabric pouch is made from hemp.
Back by popular demand. Our roll top bag is handmade from hemp fabric, hemp thread and incorporates our sustainable material as a feature buckle.
Please note: They are limited edition and only available on Kickstarter!
Hemp is one of the most eco friendly fabrics available and has greater benefits compared to other materials used in the fashion industry...
The fashion industry is one of the biggest polluters on the planet. The solution is to choose eco friendly materials and quality clothing which lasts instead of fast fashion items.
Everything down to our packaging is made from hemp. Ensuring we are environmentally sound, down to the last detail, and showcasing hemp in its different forms:
- Handmade hemp canvas box
- Hemp fabric pouch for glasses
- Handmade hemp paper comp slip
- Recycled keyring from our hemp material
The Ocean Cleanup are developing a system to extract plastic from the ocean using tidal currents. We believe in sustainable design & innovation, which align perfectly with their project.
5% of our profits (after Kickstarter fee) will support The Ocean Cleanup project.
We have already sourced our machinery and have our own manufacture set up in Edinburgh. We just need the help of backers and Kickstarter to help fund the machinery and then we are good to go!
By supporting Hemp Eyewear, you are supporting change towards a sustainable future.
Risks and challenges
We have gone through the whole crowd funding experience before and have have been running the business successfully over the past couple of years. We know how everything works and the pitfalls of first time project creators etc.
There are no foreseen risks as we already manufacture eyewear in our workshop. The only challenge is waiting for our machinery to be installed and get them up and running. We have a great team of technicians behind us and we're looking forward to our new set up!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)