About this project
Calling all haunt fans!
We have 3 DAYS LEFT TO MAKE OUR GOAL, or Kickstarter's rule is that we get $0 and our backers get full refunds...
If you liked the trailer, please pre-order your copy of HAUNTERS today - every dollar will go to making the movie even better!
We have a lot of work ahead of us to finish the film and the final version will depend on making our Kickstarter goal... Director/Producer, Jon Schnitzer, hopes you share his vision to make HAUNTERS the best it can be:
HAUNTERS is a documentary for all you haunted house fans, who have to get your “scare-apy” this time of year!
A life-long fan of Halloween and all things horror, Jon Schnitzer (co-owner of The Brain Factory & HAUNTERS Director/Producer) was inspired to document the world of haunting as it becomes increasingly mainstream and spawns a whole new wave of extreme - sometimes controversial full-contact - entertainment. And, he was curious to explore what is driving the boom in demand for the wild spectrum of interactive horror experiences that have proliferated in recent years.
Over the last year, we gained exclusive access to some of the most popular, theatrical and infamous haunts in America - like Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights, Knott’s Scary Farm, Delusion, Blackout and McKamey Manor, to name just a few. We also have shot hundreds of hours of behind-the-scenes and personal footage of a fascinating cast of characters, including professional and home-haunters, their families, the monsters and the fans who love them.
If you're one of the >32 million Americans who will attend a haunted house this year, we know you will appreciate the passion and professionalism that have gone into making HAUNTERS The Movie!
Every dollar raised will help make HAUNTERS a better movie!
We’ve accomplished a lot with HAUNTERS so far, but we still have a lot of work ahead of us to finish the film… and we will have to make a lot of tough decisions where to cut corners if we don’t get some outside funding to help.
If we don't make our Kickstarter campaign goal, all the pledges will be refunded to our backers and we will get $0. Kickstarter's rule is all-or-nothing - scary!So, while we continue to devote our own resources and time to completing HAUNTERS by next fall, we hope you are inspired to kick in!
When you back HAUNTERS, you’ll be supporting must-have essentials to finish the film:
- EDITING – Jon has had every intention from the start, to edit HAUNTERS himself. Everyone knows the real storytelling of cinema happens in the editing room and telling the haunters’ stories is what inspired him to make HAUNTERS in the first place. However, we will need to hire an assistant editor(s) to help organize and cut the hundreds of hours of footage that was shot over the last year, as well as to help compile and overlay all the footage/photos the haunters gave us rights to include. Our goal is to finish HAUNTERS in time to submit to film festivals, so we can get the broadest exposure possible...
- AUDIO – We are extremely lucky to have the score and the music for HAUNTERS already covered, and by some amazing talents. However, we will need to hire a Sound Engineer to level-out the footage audio, to match the caliber of our soundtrack. All the different locations we wanted to include in HAUNTERS ended up generating a lot of variability in the sound quality. And, as you can imagine, the sound tracks from recording inside the haunts will take some significant tweaking due to all the screaming...
- ARCHIVAL FOOTAGE/IMAGES – We need rights to include some copyrighted footage/images that will help tell the story of how haunted houses have evolved over the years and highlight media coverage of the controversies some haunters have had to face, from protests to shut-downs...
- VOICE OVER (VO) NARRATION – The storylines of HAUNTERS will be told by the haunters themselves, their families and fans. However, every documentary needs a great professional VO talent. We have VO options in mind, but the final choice will come down to who/what we can afford...
- INTERVIEWS – We’re shooting HAUNTERS now (as you read this!) and will continue shooting into early 2015. It’s impossible to include every haunt, but we want to interview a few more cutting-edge haunters and experts to help shed light on why we love to scare and be scared, the therapeutic value of screaming your head off and the primal need for that rush of ‘survival’ adrenaline. The final choices will come down to who/what we can afford in terms of travel and local equipment/crews...
HAUNTERS will premiere next Oct 2015, one way or another - the final version of the movie is up to you! Plus, when you back HAUNTERS, you’ll get to choose from some great rewards (scroll down for pics).
We’ve accomplished a lot already, to make HAUNTERS a reality and we plan to premiere HAUNTERS in October 2015.
Over the last year, we invested a tremendous amount of our own resources and money on pre-production, production and some post-production - on the good faith that there’s an audience (*you*) who will share our passion for this movie.
We know it’s risky to try to raise funding on Kickstarter, but we don’t just see this as a way to help to cover the final costs to complete HAUNTERS. Making a documentary is crazy hard work and we are energized by others who share our passion!
Not only do we have hundreds of hours of footage of amazing scares, behind-the-scenes drama and in-depth personal interviews with some of the most popular and infamous haunters in the world, we are ecstatic to have an all-star soundtrack already locked-down.
Since soundscape is so important to the horror genre, we wanted HAUNTERS to deliver the caliber of cinematic audio experience we know fans will love:
- Jonathan Snipes (Composer for ROOM 237) will compose an original score
- Alexander Burke (Magnolia Memoir & Save Ferris) is our Music Supervisor
- We have rights to use 2 songs by DEAD MAN’S BONES (written/performed by Ryan Gosling & Zach Shields)
A documentary soundtrack normally costs ~$100K+, so we are incredibly lucky to have this dream team already committed to HAUNTERS The Movie.
Every dollar raised above our initial goal will go to making HAUNTERS even better:
- $30K STOP ANIMATION: Many haunters shared heartwarming stories of how they got into haunting and we'd love to depict some of their origin stories in the most heartwarming way possible - stop animation! We are lucky to have Pete Levin (Robot Chicken, etc) and Musa Brooker (Celebrity Death Match, etc) ready to jump on board. Pete says: “Haunts are handmade and are created out of passion that first began at childhood. which is why I’m excited to bring my stop animation skills to Haunters and bring a bit of whimsy, childhood innocence and my own handmade art to this incredibly visceral documentary."
- $20K MOTION GRAPHICS: Many haunters' have wild dreams of the future of haunting and we want to use motion graphics to create their vision on screen, rather than just have them talk about it. And, it would be great to have some killer titles of course... We have several options for graphics, it will come down to what we can afford.
- $17K PROFESSIONAL COLORIST: All the different locations we wanted to include in HAUNTERS ended up generating a lot a variability in the video quality, so we'd ideally like to hire Juan Cabrera to take care of the coloring and make sure that HAUNTERS has a rich cinematic feel. Juan’s credits include Transformers: Age of Extinction, Beneath, Amazing Spiderman, Prometheus, Star Trek Into Darkness, etc.
- $? CELEBRITY NARRATOR: We have a short list of celebs we’d want to go after, if we could afford them. And, if we get to this level of fundraising on Kickstarter, we’ll have a LOT more options for sure because they’ll know they’re part of something that already has an audience of dedicated fans.
All funds raised will be used to make HAUNTERS the best film it can be!
Stop motion sequence by Pete Levin & Musa Brooker - so cool!
HAUNTERS THE MOVIE - PARTIAL CREDITS (L-to-R, top-to-bottom)
John Murdy (Universal Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood, Creative Director) // Lora Ivanova (Co-Owner, ScareLA) // Melissa Carbone (Ten Thirty One Productions Great Horror Campout & LA Haunted Hayride, Co-Founder/Creator) // Russ McKamey (McKamey Manor Creator & Co-Owner) // Justin Meyer (Ten Thirty One Productions) // Jason Blum (Blumhouse Productions, Director/Producer The Purge & Paranormal Activity & etc ) // Josh Randall (BLACKOUT, Co-Creator & Co-Owner) // Brooke Walters (Knott's Scary Farm, Supervsor of Design) // Larry Bones (Bone Yard Effects) // Jill Killington (aka Jill Kill, Horror Writer/Reviewer/Expert) // Bruce Stanton (Reign of Terror) // Shar Mayer (Professional Monster & Entertainer) // Donald Julson (Nightmare on Loganberry, Creator) // Ted Dougherty (Haunt Historian) // Johanna Atilano (Theme Park Adventure, Co-Owner & ScareLA, Co-Producer) // Eric Lowther (Haunted Overload) // Jon Braver (DELUSION, Creator) // Iris Markofsky (aka Shard, Sinister Pointe) // Preston & Dianne Meyer (Rotten Apple 907) // Chris Atkins (aka Twitchy, Sinister Pointe) // Carol Schultz (McKamey Manor, Co-Owner) // Dasha Kittredge (DELUSION, Actress) // Slash (Haunt Fan & Musician) // Chris Williams (Universal HHN Hollywood, Art Director) // Patrick Tatopoulos (Special FX Master & Creature Creator) // McKensie Westmore (SyFy's Face Off) // Brady MacDonald (LA Times, Theme Park Reviewer) // Rick West (Theme Park Adventure, Co-Owner & ScareLA, Co-Producer) // Brian Kinsman (DIY Haunts, Creator/Owner) // Clay Stevens (Home Haunter) // Kristjan Thor (BLACKOUT, Co-Creator) // Melissa & Jason Thompson (Rotten Apple 907 & Co-Owners The Haunt Store)... and MORE!
Since forming in 2008, www.TheBrainFactory.com has been involved in a variety of 3D projects.
HAUNTERS is a passion project, for everyone involved!
TWO amazing artists created original images for the HAUNTERS Kickstarter fundraiser:
HAUNT-HEAD by Dave Kloc - Dave is probably best-known for his Meltdown Comedy posters, which he produces for each Wednesday's show. He was inspired by the haunters, to create HAUNT HEAD for this campaign. HAUNT HEAD is available on your choice of 100% fine cotton pre-shrunk shirts - choose from 3 styles: tank, v-neck or crew (details below).
OUIJA EYE by Morgan Moore - Morgan completely reinvented the traditional Ouija board just for this campaign. OUIJA EYE is available on your choice of 100% cotton shirts - choose from 3 styles: tank, v-neck or crew (details below). OUIJA EYE is also available as hand-crafted walnut wood mini-board and comes with a beautiful hand-crafted solid walnut planchette that can be worn as a necklace.
OUR PROMISE: The shirt quality will do the HAUNTERS art justice! We're working with a high-quality local print shop and printing on only 100% pre-shrunk fine cotton, to make sure all the details come through and you'll be happy to wear your HAUNTERS shirt for years to come.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Risks and challenges
HAUNTERS will get made in time to premiere in Oct 2015. We’re almost to the finish line, and starting to transition from production to post-production.
Our vision for HAUNTERS is bigger than we can realize with our own resources. And, we know HAUNTERS can be even better and reach an even broader audience (by having it ready in time for 2015 festival submissions) if we can enhance our own resources to bring on the post-production team we need.
With the >30-million Americans who will attend a haunted house this year (up 27% over the last decade)*, we know there's an audience waiting for this documentary - we just need a little help with completion funds and to get out the good word!
Thank YOU again, for YOUR support!!
*SOURCE: National Retail Federation 2014Learn about accountability on Kickstarter