About this project
12.07.13 - UPDATE - 6 HOURS LEFT!!
Campaign almost over!!! THANK YOU to all the backers!!
New rewards added: A limited edition copy of "Persona" and a 12x8" photo print (available at reward level of $75) & "Persona" and the first book "Seance" (available at reward level of $125).
Also, The Huffington Post & Rizzarr profile the Bloodhoney* project.
ORIGINS OF THE BLOODHONEY* PROJECT
I began taking photographs as a hobby ten years ago, during my studies at UCLA. Twice a year I would drive from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. and back, along Route 40, photographing landscapes. It was a way to disconnect from the daily grind, have a rare moment of solitude, and re-charge for the following six months. This process would later influence my approach to the Bloodhoney* project.
During my travels around the film festival circuit, I met old friends – some of whom I hadn’t seen in many years. Many were rooted in a 9-5 existence, living highly structured, stressful lives. They rarely, if ever, engaged in creative or artistic endeavors. Instead of going to a coffee shop, I proposed that they take a day off, pick a place that has meaning to them, and choose clothes in which they feel like themselves. That was the starting point. From there the idea was to improvise; spontaneity was to be at the heart of the process.
Initially, my friends asked me to give them instructions and sometimes wondered what they were doing there, feeling bored or frustrated. Slowly, their minds began to let go, and they started doing what they felt like: jumping, climbing, wielding props, and taking risks. It felt almost like a return to childhood, physicality took over and the camera was there to capture the energy of the moment, telling a story.
These "séances" sometimes went on for 10-15 hours. They included long hikes through mountains, head-on collisions with hail and snow, walks through swamps and lakes, and quite a few mosquito bites and bruises.
The experience of the day was most important, not the resulting images. You could never predict what would come of it, and the idea was to let go and let things come together by circumstance. This is very opposite of the notions of safety and caution that we are bombarded with by the current society. Although being in front of the camera while letting go may seem uncomfortable, after these "séances," just about every subject wanted to keep going or do it again. Each shoot was its own unique adventure. The rush of adrenaline and the feeling of being a child again, uninhibited no matter how silly or dangerous, proved to be liberating.
I called the project "Bloodhoney" in reference to the Balkans, the
region I am from. It is a combination of two Turkish words:
Bal, meaning “honey” and Kan, meaning “blood.” The name refers to the
bittersweet nature of life, the moments of beauty and the sublime spontaneously captured in the photographs.
Below you can watch my TED Talk about this project:
In the first book, entitled "Seance," (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/harun/bloodhoney-seance-a-book-of-photos-and-stories) I told stories of the process behind the photographs, highlighting different aspects of the shoots, and giving the reader a glimpse of the experience each subject went through during their "seance." In this book, I focus on those of my friends who chose to appear at the shoot embodying a character, often wearing a costume.
I became fascinated with these personas, the masks my friends brought to the shoots. Were those merely an attempt to hide behind a character? Indulgence in a fantasy? Or were those costumed characters closer to who my friends truly are than the masks they wear in their everyday life? These questions intrigued me, and the idea for the second book slowly begun to emerge.
"Persona" will be a 12x9'' 192-page full-color hardcover book when it’s completed, but this will only happen with your support!
from the Bloodhoney* project will be presented in 12×8″ & 13×9″ & 6×9″ as well as 20×9″ formats throughout the book, along with stories about the
séances and the people featured in them.
The book will be a Limited Edition release of 1000 copies, and each copy will be dated, numbered, and signed by the author.
Video: A glance at the first book in the series, "Séance," which is identical in size & page count to "Persona."
HOW THE RAISED FUNDS WILL BE SPENT
Although the minimal goal for the campaign is set for $20,000, the main aim of the project is to raise $35,000 (approx. 500 backers).
- $13,500 - Necessary to print all of the 1000 Limited Edition copies of the book, plus the freight shipping from the factory.
- $3,500 - Approximate shipping charges for the book to all of the backers. Each domestic package of a single book costs $4.75 to ship by USPS, packages of two books cost $6.50. Each international package costs between $25 and $50 depending on the destination and amount of copies ordered. The cardboard packages for the books & packing materials will cost around $600.
- $3,000 - Price for the photo prints, which will be printed on Epson Luster photo paper and archival inks, ensuring the highest quality of print.
- $1,000 - Shipping charges for prints. Each 24x16 print will be packed into a 16" mailing tube and will cost $3,50 to ship domestically, while each 36x24" print will be mailed in a 24" tube at the price of $6,25 domestically. The tubes with multiple photo prints will cost between $6,50 and $9,25 domestically. International tube packages vary from $10 to $17 depending on weight, size and destination.
- The editor will be paid $3,000 total, while the two designers will be paid a total of $3,000 each for two months worth of work on the book.
- Kickstarter takes a fee of 5% overall, while Amazon, inc takes between 3-5% processing fee, totaling around $3000 in fees.
Tax is approximately 3-5%, which is estimated at around $2,000.
$13,500 (books) + $3,500 (book shipping) + $3,000 (photo prints) + $1,000 (print shipping) + $3,000 (editor) + $6,000 (designers) + $3,000 (kickstarter/amazon fee) + 2,000 (taxes) = $35,000.
- $10 - Digital Copy of the Book & High Quality Computer Desktop Wallpaper Photo
- $25 - Digital Copy of the Book & signed 12x8'' (30x20cm) Photo Print
- $50 - One copy of the Limited Edition Book (signed and numbered by the author) & Digital Copy of the Book.
- (NEW REWARD) $75 - One copy of the Limited Edition Book (signed and numbered by the author) & Digital Copy of the Book & signed 12x8'' (30x20cm) Photo Print
- $100 - One copy of the Limited Edition Book (signed and numbered by the author) & Digital Copy of the Book & signed 24x18'' (61x46cm) Photo Print
- (NEW REWARD) $125 - One copy of each book: a copy of the Limited Edition Book "Persona," (signed and numbered by the author) & Copy of the first book of the series, "Seance," & your name in the Thank You section of the book.
- $150 - Two books: Limited Edition Book (signed and numbered by the author) & Copy of the first book of the series, Bloodhoney* Seance (or a second copy of Bloodhoney* Persona) Digital Copy of the Book & Two signed 24x18'' (61x46cm) Photo Prints & Your name in the Thank You section of the book (This award can be adjusted to One copy of the Limited Edition book and three 24x16 prints, per wishes of the backer)
- $200 - Two books: Limited Edition Book (signed and numbered by the author) & Copy of the first book of the series, Bloodhoney* Seance (or a second copy of Bloodhoney* Persona) Digital Copy of the Book & two signed 36x24'' (91x61cm) Photo Print & Your name in the Thank You section of the book (This award can be adjusted to One copy of the Limited Edition Book and Three signed 36x24'' Photo Prints, per wishes of the backer)
- $300 - Three copies of the Limited Edition Book (signed and numbered by the author) & Digital Copy of the Book & two signed 40x30'' (102x76cm) Photo Prints & Your name in the Thank You section of the book.
- $400 - A two week Bloodhoney* online photography workshop which will feature seven photo lessons, seven exercises and seven critiques of your work! In addition, Limited Edition Book (signed and numbered by the author) & Copy of the first book of the series, Bloodhoney* Seance (or a second copy of Bloodhoney* Persona) & Digital Copy of the Book & two signed 40x30'' (102x76cm) Photo Prints featuring a Bloodhoney image of your choice & your name in the Thank You section of the book.
- $1000 - You get to experience and become a part of the Bloodhoney* project with a commissioned shoot! Also, participate in a two week Bloodhoney* online photography workshop which will feature seven photo lessons, seven exercises and seven critiques of your work! Three copies of the Limited Edition Book (signed and numbered by the author) & Digital Copy of the Book & signed 60x40'' (152x102cm) Limited Edition Photo Print ($2000 value) & Your name in the Thank You section of the book!
* All photo prints will be images of your choice (please choose from the selection of photographs featured on this page or visit http://www.vogue.it/photovogue/Profilo/eba5e455-d9f2-43b6-9bd1-75106238654f/User)
International shipping is available!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
I spent my childhood in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, a city that was under siege for nearly four years. Upon the conclusion of the Bosnian War in 1996, I moved to the United States and began working as a freelance designer.
I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), where I studied screenwriting and theater directing. In 2007, I received a Master of Fine Arts degree in Film Directing from the American Film Institute.
My thesis film, In the Name of the Son, premiered at Telluride Film Festival and won over thirty international awards, including Shanghai, Savannah, and Cleveland film festivals. It was the first live action short film to receive an exclusive screening for the members of United States Congress on Capitol Hill. In 2009, In the Name of the Son qualified for an Academy Award in Live Action Short Film category, and became one of only forty films to be considered for the award.
Bloodhoney* photographs have been exhibited internationally and featured by publications including Vogue Italia and the Los Angeles Times, and have been a subject of a TED talk which can be viewed at http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/Living-in-the-Moment-Harun-Mehm!
Editor: Michael Juliani
Michael is a poet, writer, and journalist from Pasadena, California. He edited the first book in the Bloodhoney series, Séance, and wrote about the project for the Los Angeles Times. A graduate of the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism at USC, he worked as a senior editor and columnist for NeonTommy.com. His work has appeared in online and print outlets like the L.A. Times, the Huffington Post, Blindfold Magazine, Truthdig, and Unshod Quills.
Designers: Amer Mrzljak & Bojan Hadzihalilovic of FABRIKA, inc.
Fabrika's beginnings go back to 1985, when TRIO design team was founded, but the name FABRIKA did not emerge until 1989, when a group of designers decided to expand their studio into an agency, specializing in design, marketing and advertising. Since 2000, Fabrika has been rated as one of the three biggest full service agencies in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Publisher: The Convington Group, Inc.
Official Website: http://www.bloodhoney.com
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/blood.honey.by.harun.mehmedinovic
NEW: The Huffington Post "Photographer Harun Mehmedinovic Seeks the Sublime With Bloodhoney* Book Project"
Los Angeles Times "War's lessons unfold in Harun Mehmedinovic's Bloodhoney* project"
SELECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FEATURED IN THE BOOK
Risks and challenges
The main challenge will be working with a designer to create the correct feel for the book. It's important for the design to work organically with the images while also incorporating the sections of text and maintaining a visual flow throughout. My prior experience in graphic design will help me visualize the book and communicate those ideas to the designer.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
On Saturday Dec 7, 10:00pm PST, and only if the project reaches $20,000 minimum goal!
Yes, photo prints & copies of the first book, "Seance," (available for rewards priced $150 and higher) can be shipped the second week of December.
No, each book has a unique set of images. When the first book was finished, a few series which were slated to appear there instead were moved to this book, hence a few images from the Seance Kickstarter campaign page appear again on the Persona page.
Support this project
- (59 days)