One Deck Dungeon is the hit roguelike adventure from Asmadi Games that captures all the fun of a dungeon crawl in a single deck of cards! Shuffle the deck, then battle with monsters, claim your loot, and continue deeper until you defeat the boss. We're bringing this nail-biting tabletop adventure to your computer via Steam. We plan to also launch the game on iPad and Android tablets (see the Mobile section below).
- For more info on tablet support, see Update #6
- For more info on the Treasure Chest, see Update #12
- One Deck Dungeon Wallpapers in Update #5 and Update #13
We are adapting One Deck Dungeon into a game you can play on your Windows, macOS or Linux PC via Steam. Already a success on the tabletop, One Deck Dungeon was Kickstarted in 2016 and a full expansion called Forest of Shadows was Kickstarted earlier this year.
Our goal with any adaptation is to preserve what makes a game great, while bringing the fun into the digital realm. We have been working on the game for some time now, but we need your help! Our $20,000 goal is enough to complete development on the core game and launch it on Steam. But the more money we raise, the better we can make One Deck Dungeon! Stretch goals include additional heroes, dungeons, new features, and even the Forest of Shadows expansion.
We plan to also launch the game on iPad and Android tablets. You can help launch the game earlier by backing at the Mobile Dungeon level. See the Mobile section below for details!
One Deck Dungeon begins when you choose your party: a single hero or a pair of two heroes. Each hero is equipped with the ability to vanquish all of her foes in the dungeon. The base game comes with 5 varied choices:
- Mage - There's rarely a problem in the dungeon she can't solve with a spell.
- Warrior - Her favorite dungeon activity is squashing her opponents immediately.
- Rogue - Watch in awe as she dispatches monsters with style.
- Archer - Accurate, brilliant, catastrophically deadly.
- Paladin - She seeks out danger and shields her allies from deadly enemies.
Next you choose the dungeon and boss you will be facing. Each dungeon has 3 floors you need to battle through, with a unique set of dastardly effects which are added to every encounter. Finally (if you endure all the dungeon throws at you) you will reach the boss, who you then must defeat to win the game. The base game comes with 5 choices here as well:
- Dragon’s Cave - The thick-skinned wyvern who occupies this dungeon prefers her heroes on the crispy side.
- Yeti’s Cavern - If you can survive the freezing winds and biting cold, an abominable snowman awaits.
- Hydra’s Reef - Chop off one head, and another appears! This regenerating venomous monstrosity is a slippery foe.
- Lich’s Tomb - Hordes of undead foes, evil curses, and magical wards. What could possibly go wrong?
- Minotaur’s Maze - Abandon all hope, you who enter here!
The deck of 44 encounter cards contains all the other challenges you'll face in One Deck Dungeon:
- The doors you must open to progress
- The encounters, with monsters to defeat or perils to surpass
- The loot you earn as either items, skills, potions, or XP
- As well as the time you spend to do all of the above!
It's time to enter the dungeon and explore:
Everything you do costs time, discarding cards from the encounter deck and advancing the hourglass. When you enter a room, you are then faced with an encounter which can be either a combat or a peril.
Combat encounters pit you against the monsters and denizens of the dungeon. You roll dice based on your hero's attributes and cover the challenge boxes on the card.
Peril encounters are traps or other environmental obstacles you must overcome. You'll have to decide which of your attributes to use - for example, either climbing around a pit of spikes using your raw strength, or jumping over it with your cat-like agility.
Either way, you'll want to cover as many challenge boxes as possible. Any left uncovered will cause damage and time lost, but you'll still make it past (if you aren't reduced to zero health). And then it's time to claim the loot!
Each encounter card gives you 3 options for loot, and you can only choose one. XP levels up your heroes, and items increase your attributes. Or you can learn a new skill or potion to use for powerful combos!
Every time you run out of time in the hourglass (by emptying the deck), you come upon a set of stairs that will take you deeper into the dungeon. Once you have completed the 3rd floor, you take on the boss!
The boss battle works like a combat encounter, but with multiple rounds. Unlike a regular encounter, a boss has health just like a hero, and it will take a minimum of 2 rounds to defeat any Boss.
Like any good roguelike, One Deck Dungeon will be a new challenge every time. Just shuffle the deck, and set off on your next adventure!
Join us on our Twitch channel every Wednesday at 1 pm Eastern during the campaign to watch One Deck Dungeon come to digital before your very eyes!
- Wednesday November 8th, 1 pm ET - Coding the Rules Engine with Jean-Marc
- Wednesday November 15th, 1 pm ET - Creating the UI in Unity with John
- Wednesday November 22nd, 1 pm ET - Q+A with Chris from Asmadi and animation with Jennifer
- Wednesday November 29th, 1 pm ET - Making the engine talk to the UI with Jean-Marc and John
- Friday December 1st, 12:30 pm ET - Campaign end countdown stream!
The first retail release of One Deck Dungeon will be $10 (USD) and will include all the content from the base tabletop game. The rules and card effects will be carefully adapted and thoroughly tested by expert players, including the designer, Chris Cieslik.
- Includes 5 heroes, 5 dungeons, and 44 encounter cards
- Solo play with 1 or 2 heroes
- Local co-op play with 2 heroes
- Campaign mode allows you to build up a hero’s power over multiple plays
- Choose your hero & dungeon, or face a randomized challenge
- Learn the game while you play with an interactive tutorial
- Original music for each dungeon by Beatscribe (some tracks adapted from the tabletop soundtrack, others brand new)
- Compatible with Windows, macOS and Linux (system requirements)
- Steam Achievements
- Steam Cloud Saves
Item And Delivery Details:
One Deck Dungeon for Steam - This item will be delivered as a Steam Product Key to be redeemed via the Steam Store.
The Treasure Chest - This item will be delivered as a Steam Product Key to be redeemed via the Steam Store.
Steam Early Access - Details on playing the game early will be delivered via BackerKit to Backers at levels that include Steam Early Access.
One Deck Dungeon Digital Lore Book - This item is a Digital Book designed by Asmadi Games with information about all the monsters in One Deck Dungeon. It will be delivered via BackerKit.
Join the Beta Team - Backers who join the beta team will be contacted via the email provided to Kickstarter once the campaign closes with more details.
One Deck Dungeon will be available on iPad and Android tablets 1 month after 1.0 launches on Steam.
While we cannot offer keys directly for mobile versions of One Deck Dungeon (See the FAQ), we really want mobile players to be able to participate in the campaign. The Mobile Dungeon backer level is $1 and officially registers your desire to see One Deck Dungeon come to mobile. Your name will be listed in a special section of the credits dedicated to the mobile backers.
But there's a better reason to back at that level! For every registered mobile backer, we will release One Deck Dungeon for tablets 1 hour earlier. There are 720 hours in a month, so if 720 people back it at this level, tablet support will launch day and date with One Deck Dungeon for Steam.
For more info, check out Update #6 and watch this space to see how many Mobile Backers we have!
We will be using BackerKit to manage pledges once the campaign closes. This allows you to add money to your pledge to get additional items. See below for the add-ons available for this campaign.
Our initial goal for this project is $20,000 which will cover the rest of the development budget for a 1.0 Steam launch. However, the more money we can raise, the better we can make it! There is additional content, more features and even a full expansion pack that we would also like to bring to the game. That’s where you come in! Help spread the word because the more people we take with us into the dungeon, the more we can do!
Some of the stretch goals add features that enhance every copy of One Deck Dungeon. But others are a little different. Anyone backing at the Dungeon Collector level or above will also receive the Treasure Chest.
What is the Treasure Chest? It’s a place to store your loot of course! It starts with a copy of the digital soundtrack: a $5 value. As we strive to push past our initial goal, we hope to achieve stretch goals that add more loot to the Treasure Chest.
Every time we achieve a Loot Stretch Goal, it will go into your Treasure Chest, making the chest more valuable over time. The current contents of the Treasure Chest are below:
- Soundtrack for One Deck Dungeon Digital featuring original music by Beatscribe - $5 value
- Phoenix's Den - $1 Value (when released)
- Fanatic - $1 Value (when released)
- Caliana Asmadi - $1 Value (when released)
- The Witch - $1 Value (when released)
- Smoldering Tunnels - $1 Value (when released)
- Total value = $10
The items in the Treasure Chest will be sold separately after launch - none of them are Kickstarter exclusive.
Forest of Shadows
There is one other Special Stretch Goal: the Forest of Shadows Expansion. Forest of Shadows is huge and actually doubles the amount of content in the game, while adding some new mechanics! If we raise enough money to fund the development of Forest of Shadows, we will offer the ability to add a copy of the expansion to your pledge for $10.
Watch this space for more info about Stretch Goals and Loot as funding progresses!
Social Sharing Goals
There's lots of new content coming if we can keep funding past our goal. Those are some lofty numbers so we’re going to need your help to make it happen. In support of that, today we are also announcing we will have some social sharing goals. The first goal is:
- 500 shares/retweets - A free batch of One Deck Dungeon wallpapers will be released. Achieved! Check out Update #5 for your free wallpapers.
- 750 shares/retweets - We revealed the Witch Hero stretch goal.
- 1000 shares/retweets - We revealed the Hellhound Boss, master of the Smoldering Tunnels stretch goal.
How can you help spread the word?
Here's some Avatars to show your One Deck Dungeon love. Feel free to use them here on Kickstarter or other social media.
Share the link on Facebook directly: Click Here
Social Sharing Tally: over 1000 shares!
Risks and challenges
Handelabra Games has shipped multiple games on a variety of platforms and as such, we are confident in our ability to deliver One Deck Dungeon on time. That said, with software development, there is always the possibility of bugs taking more time than we think.
To mitigate this, we have built extra time into the schedule to make sure we can deliver the game we promise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)