This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Wed, December 5 2018 12:30 AM UTC +00:00.
Aeon's End is a cooperative deck-building game where you struggle to defend the city of Gravehold from The Nameless and their hordes using unique abilities, powerful spells, and, most importantly of all, your wits. We are excited to be working with designer Kevin Riley from Action Phase Games, as well as Indie Boards and Cards to bring Aeon’s End to Steam, with your help!
Aeon’s End is right at home at Handelabra Games. The combination of deep strategy and cooperative gameplay will feel familiar to fans of our other games like Sentinels of the Multiverse and One Deck Dungeon. Like other deck-building games, you begin a game of Aeon’s End with a basic deck and gradually improve it with new cards as you play. Aeon's End distinguishes itself by adding several innovative mechanics. Randomized turn order simulates the chaos of battle, and deck management rules invite careful planning of every discarded card.
We are adapting Aeon’s End into a digital tabletop game you can play on your Windows, macOS or Linux PC via Steam. As with our previous projects, we are working in Unity.
The digital version of Aeon’s End will cost $19.99 (USD), but backers can get the game for just $15. The 1.0 retail launch on Steam will include all Aeon's End base game content and features:
- 8 playable mages, each with a unique starting card
- 4 nemeses to defeat, each with their own mechanics
- 27 unique player cards (gems, spells, & relics)
- 22 general nemesis cards
- 53 nemesis-specific cards
- Local co-op play with 1-4 mages
- Interactive tutorial so you can learn the game while you play
- Brand-new music composed by Jean-Marc Giffin
- Steam Achievements
- Steam Cloud Saves
- All unlocked promo cards and mages from stretch goals
The Kickstarter Edition delivered to backers at the $20 level or greater will also include the following:
- Free digital download of the Original Soundtrack ($5 value)
- Kickstarter Exclusive Digital Player Card Sleeves and Playmat - Alternate in-game background and card backs that show your support. More info here.
Already familiar with Aeon's End? Visit this link to try the 5-minute demo now! Or read on for a preview of gameplay.
Aeon's End is a deck-building game. That means you start with a basic deck and gradually add cards to that deck as you gain new relics, gems, and spells to play.
During the main phase, players typically begin by playing gems to gain aether.
Aether is the currency of Aeon's End that allows you to gain cards from the supply.
Add gems, spells, and relics to your hand to build your deck.
Your goal is to defeat the nemesis while protecting the city of Gravehold. You damage the nemesis by using your spells. Spells must first be prepped to opened or focused breaches. Then, you can cast these spells on subsequent turns to deal damage.
One innovation in Aeon's End is variable turn order. After each round, the order of turns is shuffled, keeping you on your toes and echoing the chaos of battle.
Another innovation of Aeon's End is in deck management. Since you never shuffle your cards, you can carefully manage your deck by planning the order in which you discard your cards.
On the nemesis turns, watch out! The Nameless have many ways to turn the tide of battle, including dealing damage to your mages, attacking Gravehold itself, discarding your cards and more.
If your mages become exhausted by reaching 0 life, or if Gravehold is destroyed, you have lost.
To win, you must either reduce the nemesis to 0 life, or survive the entire nemesis deck and eliminate any remaining minions or powers in play.
Thanks to a new service called SIMMER, we can offer you a short demo of Aeon's End in your browser right now! This is a 5-10 minute experience aimed at giving you a feel for how the game will look and play in a general way. This is a pre-alpha build of the game and covers the first few rounds of a 2-mage game vs the Rageborne nemesis.
You can try the demo embedded below, but we recommend you click here to play the demo on SIMMER. Click the full-screen button below the lower right-hand corner of the game for the best experience. The demo works best on an up-to-date desktop browser that supports WebGL such as Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. Enable hardware acceleration in the options for best results.
SIMMER is a great tool for developers to host builds of their Unity games for others to try out and play. Visit SIMMER.io for more info.
You can also check out a playthrough of the tabletop game here.
Development Streaming Schedule:
Want to see how the game gets made? We’ll be doing live development streams every Wednesday at 1 PM Eastern on our Twitch channel during the campaign to give you a peek behind the curtain. If you can't watch live, don't worry - we always post our stream to our YouTube channel afterwards. See below for the schedule of topics we will be covering each week:
- Wednesday November 7th: Spell-crafting - See how we implement a spell in the engine, hook it up in the UI, and create a damage effect animation! (Watch it here.)
- Wednesday November 14th: Making a Mage - Watch us bring a mage to life by implementing their ability and starter card in the engine and UI.
- Wednesday November 21st: Stay Tuned
- Wednesday November 28th: Stay Tuned
Aeon’s End will be delivered to backers as a Steam Key, redeemable on the Steam Service for 1 copy of the game. All Kickstarter backers will receive their Steam Key when the game first becomes available in Steam Early Access. All rewards will be delivered via BackerKit, a great service that streamlines the process of post-campaign surveys and fulfillment.
We are planning to ship Aeon’s End to Steam in the first half of 2019.
What is Steam Early Access?
Early Access allows people to play games during their development and give feedback to the developers. We plan to bring Aeon’s End to Steam Early Access several months before the game releases to retail.
All backers who choose a reward level that includes a copy of the game will be able to participate in Early Access if they choose.
* What does it mean to become a member of the beta team?
Becoming a beta team member means you will get access to the private beta of the game via Steam ahead of any retail or Early Access launch. You will play the game to help us discover bugs, report them, and help us make sure the game is as good as it can possibly be.
* What does it mean to be a member of the alpha team?
Becoming an alpha team member means you will get access to our alpha testing interface. This is a text-based, rules-only implementation of the game, used to test mechanics. You will play the game to help us discover bugs, report them, and help us make sure the game is as good as it can possibly be. The alpha testing interface will become available to backers shortly after the Kickstarter closes.
Members of the alpha and beta teams will be instrumental in helping shape how the new, digital-exclusive promos and mages will play! All content is tested first by the alpha team, then by the beta team before being released to the public.
We’ve secured 2/3 of the development budget for the base game already, but we need your help to get version 1.0 completed and shipped in the first half of 2019.
But fully funding isn’t the end of the story. The other reason we are using Kickstarter for this project is content. The base game provides countless hours of replayability with its 8 mages and 4 nemeses, but there’s plenty more where that came from!
Aeon’s End has lots of existing promo and bonus cards that we hope to bring to the digital game. We’re also working directly with designer Kevin Riley and our other partners to craft brand-new exclusive content for the digital game. Kevin is taking full advantage of the digital medium to make new content that would be tricky (or impossible) in physical form.
And finally, expansions. The world of Aeon’s End has grown tremendously through expansions like The Depths, The Nameless, The Void, and The Outer Dark as well as the full-sized expansion War Eternal. Through stretch goals, we hope to secure enough funding to bring all that content to the digital game as quickly as possible.
As we mentioned above, we will be using BackerKit as our pledge manager for this campaign, which will help us manage add ons. You can add $15 to receive and additional Steam Key for the game, or $20 for an additional Steam Key for the Kickstarter Edition.
Unfortunately, the higher levels cannot be added on, as they are limited. If you know someone who would like to become a member of the Alpha or Beta teams, you should have them back the campaign themselves.
- Promo-Packs include 1 Player card and 1 Nemesis card. Some cards are existing promos, while some will be brand new!
- Into the Breach: In her search for the domain of the Nameless, Mist has opened a breach to a strange world known as Mynerva, but someone has returned in her place!
- Xae from One Deck Dungeon joins Aeon's End as a new, digital-exclusive, playable mage, designed for digital Aeon’s End by Kevin Riley. (More info in this update.)
- Although she longs to return to Gravehold, for now, Mist joins the heroes of One Deck Dungeon as they battle in Mynerva! Mist for One Deck Dungeon is being designed by Chris Cieslik of Asmadi Games and will be a FREE addition to the game!
- First Expansion: The Nameless will be added to the development schedule! This expansion adds 2 nemeses and 1 breach mage to the game, as well as new gems, relics, spells, and minions. You will be able to add to your pledge to receive this expansion.
- OblivAeon's End: After tapping into the power of the Void, NightMist found herself pulled in and trapped for what felt like eons. So, when she felt a weakness in the fabric of the Void, she lept for it, tearing her way into a new reality and leaving what she knew behind. Now, the Void-powered creature who was once Faye Diamond has materialized in a new place called “Gravehold”. (More info in this update.)
- NightMist from Sentinels of the Multiverse joins Aeon's End as a new digital exclusive playable Mage, designed for digital Aeon’s End by Kevin Riley.
- Second Expansion: The Depths expansion will be added to the development schedule. This expansion adds 1 nemesis and 3 breach mages to the game, as well as new spells, relics, gems, and minions. You will be able to add to your pledge to receive this expansion.
Check back for more stretch goals as the campaign continues!
Show your Aeon's End spirit with custom avatars! Check them out here.
Help us spread the word on social media to unlock Bonus Packs! Each bonus pack will contain:
- 1 new digital player card sleeve
- 1 new digital nemesis card sleeve
- 1 new digital playmat
These items are alternate card backs and backgrounds that let you customize your Aeon's End experience.
Shares, retweets, likes, new follows and subscribes, we'll be tracking them all through the campaign! (The totals below represent the starting point at campaign launch.)
- Twitter (Followers: 1838)
- Facebook (Followers: 1728)
- Youtube (Subscribers: 1173)
- Twitch (Followers: 1005)
- Discord (Members: 236)
- Our new Instagram! (Followers: 15)
Current Social Engagement: 708
(as of Tuesday, November 13th at noon)
Risks and challenges
Handelabra Games has shipped multiple games on a variety of platforms and as such, we are confident in our ability to deliver Aeon’s End on time and in budget. That said, with software development, there is always the possibility of bugs taking more time than we think.
To mitigate this, we have built extra time into the schedule to make sure we can deliver the game as promised.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!