About this project
Barney has run away from home. He's got a job but he's got nowhere to live so ends up crashing there after his shift. Funny thing is - he works in a haunted house attraction. Unfunny thing is - it's ACTUALLY haunted.
Along with his best friend and now boss Norma and his faithful talking dog Pugsley, the gang battle dangerous demons, sinister psychiatrists and glamorous ghosts while attempting to lead normal lives.
The series has been praised for its balance of comedy, horror and drama as well as its diverse cast of LGBTQ+ characters.
Bleeding Cool listed it in its Top 5 LGBT Comics of 2015 for "shining light on issues that few other books dare to tread upon ... all done in an open, honest and accessible to any age way that really makes this series a joy" as well as listing it among their top UK Indie Comics of 2015.
DeadEndia has been hugely successful as a webcomic but has also been popular as a physical comic series. However, whether I'm selling it through my online store, one of several London comic shops that stock it or at conventions, I always get the same question. When can I buy the trade paperback?
As is, printing the single issues out of my pocket is a struggle. I just about cover the costs but even if I didn't, I love having the comic in my hands. Actually printing a bigger order of the full book would, however, bankrupt me. So I'm turning to the fans to make it happen!
Me! Hamish Steele! This is actually my third kickstarter! In 2014, I successfully kickstarted my first graphic novel Pantheon, with a backing of 110%! The money was to fund the actual drawing of the comic whereas this time the pages are all already done. This means the turnaround will be much quicker.
Last year, I tried to kickstart a Gamera zine but it was unsuccessful. While a big part of that was me not promoting it enough, I do think the relatively small fandom of Gamera was a hinderance. I still printed the book though and delivered it to everyone who had backed!
I love comics. I love printing them and having them on my shelf and I just want everyone who loves DeadEndia to have access to it in their preferred way.
This kickstarter also lets me finally produce some great merch for the series! I do not yet have images for these rewards but I will try and describe them in detail.
- The Book (obviously)
- Stickers This will take the form of a sticker sheet featuring Courtney, Pauline, Gord and Pugsley.
- Wonderland Pack A fold-out map of the Winslow's Wonderland Theme Park and comes with a day entry ticket. The map is double-sided and features lots of info about every corner of the park!
- Prints Eight A5 prints of all the covers of the individual issues but they're entirely textless.
- Pugsley Pin A metal pin badge of Pugsley's face, about the size of a coin.
- Logflume Photo: A printed out image of you as if you were at Winslow's Wonderland for the day and bought the Logflume photo. I will ask for reference photos and draw you and up to 3 other friends, family, etc.
- DeadEndia Cameo I will draw you in Season 2 of DeadEndia. I'll be sure to let you know when the cameo is drawn and I'll be in touch to discuss your character's design.
- Original Ink Drawing An original, hand-drawn illustration by me of any DeadEndia character in any pose and costume just for you!
- Mini Gord Figure Is a small hand-made sculpture by Lydia Butz of the character Gord in his typical slug form.
- Full Commission A full colour commission by me of anything you want!
AND FINALLY should we surpass the £6500 (which breaks down into £3000 for the printing, £1500 for the merchandise, £1500 for the shipping and £500 paying the guest artists for their bonus comics) here are some stretch goals.
- £6500 - 500 softcover books.
- £8000 - 800 softcover books.
- £10,000 - 800 hardcover books.
- £15,000 - 800 hardcover books and Season 2 will get single issue releases as well and 4 pages a week!
- £20,000+ - 1000 hardcover books and the money will be put towards a second DeadEndia animated short!
Without giving too much away, an Issue of Season 2 has the potential to be animated. I would love to be able to do this but would definitely need some funding and anything above £15,00 will go directly into that fund.
Risks and challenges
Having done one successful and one failed Kickstarter campaign, I feel like I am very prepared for all the risks and challenges that will face me. The main thing to remember is that the majority of the costs will come from shipping, which will also be the most time consuming. This time around, I'll be dedicating a full week to packing and shipping orders to hurry the process along.
The comic portion of this book is complete, so all that remains is editing for print and completing bonus materials, which should take no longer than a month.
There are more potential risks involved in creating the merchandise as I haven't made certain types of merch before, but I am using a reliable company and will keep backers informed of all my choices.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)