About this project
NEW: BONUS REWARD!
Back Guts and Glory at $25 or up and get a Steam Key for Alpha Access to the innovative new game Hello, Neighbor! Check out the trailer below:
I'm so excited for this game and happy to do a cross-promotion with them! Check it out and help me spread the word about this awesome opportunity to help two great projects at once!
Wanna try out Guts & Glory NOW? Free download link below!
NOTE: The full game will have blood/gore/child settings to adjust to your preferences.
Guts and Glory is a game about ordinary people competing in extraordinary challenges of life and death! People from all walks of life compete in the world's deadliest vehicular obstacle courses for their shot at riches and glory in the craziest gameshow on earth--the Guts and Glory Games!
THE GOAL IS SIMPLE: Race to the finish as quickly as you can while everything tries to kill you! Can you do it?
Some people say it's like a 3D Happy Wheels. Others say it reminds them of Turbo Dismount, BeamNG, or even Super Meat Boy! But what it ultimately becomes will be up to you!
A Level Editor will be a core feature of the game and I work hard to use gamer feedback during development. I'm always involved in discussions with fans and strive to build something that will become a long-term favorite in your gaming collection!
Of course, you don't have to take my word for it. You can download a shiny new version of the early alpha build for FREE, over at IndieDB.com, and join in the community conversations via the links below. This new update unlocks Earl and his ATV, plus 7 more challenges and DESTRUCTION!
Currently for Windows/Mac/Linux
PS4 & Xbox One versions confirmed!
If you like what you see so far, please drop back by and show your support with the Backer Reward options. Thank you for your support!
Heck, there are even FREE ways to support the project by spreading the word on social media and requesting plays from your favorite YouTubers and Twitchers. See "COMMUNITY GOALS" section for a list of FREE ways to help support this project and get extra features added to the game!
Guts and Glory is just wacky physics fun! Levels will range from easy-going random goofiness to super-skilled, rage-inducing difficulties. There's something for everyone to enjoy!
A Level Editor will be a core part of the game!
Players will select from a wide variety of vehicles, including realistic bicycles, poorly built cars, and rocket-powered homemade contraptions (and a WHOLE LOT MORE). They’ll race to the finish line through 3D worlds with full 360 degrees of freedom, dodging all sorts of hazards, including sawblade windmills, giant wrecking balls, medieval cannons and crazy turrets. The list continues to grow….
Each vehicle is completely physics-driven, with 100% ragdoll riders, realtime dismemberment, and dynamic vehicle damage.
This means that every turn, every crash, and every death is unique—and often results in hilarious scenarios! Severed limbs spray blood all over nearby characters and the environment as you struggle to hang on and reach the finish line. Vehicles get dented, smashed and lose parts. Wheels can be popped or just knocked off completely. Determined players on tough tracks will find themselves hobbling across the finish line bloodied, missing limbs, stuck full of arrows, on a smashed vehicle only one hit away from being incapacitated!
Of course, just trying to crash and die in spectacular ways is a lot of fun all by itself!
Guts and Glory has been my baby for well over a year now. I've put my blood, sweat and tears into building this part-time. In-between working a demanding full-time job, half-time enrollment at college, and being a family man, I've managed to squeeze in enough development time to bring you the features you can find in the demo/videos, which include:
- Three Playable Vehicles and their associated Characters, the "Heroes" of the Guts and Glory Games
- Physics-based vehicles with real-time damage and deformation. Wheels pop, nearly every part can be dented, bent, or smashed off.
- Physics-based character damage with real-time dismemberment and blood everywhere. (Adjustment settings will be added later.)
- A growing list of Hazards, including: Cannons, Crossbows, Landmines, Bombs, Bombs, Spikes and more!
- Special Items, such as Speed Boosters and Mega Fans... well, these can be Hazards sometimes too... everything can become a hazard in this game in some way.
- Two sandbox Maps with dynamic frictions, so dusty dirt roads have less traction than paved roads, for example.
- Lots of free levels to play and try out the game!
- Destruction! Added several breakable items, such as fences, barrels, vases, tables, glass windows and more!
The core mechanics of this game lay the foundation for a huge amount of potential. While I have more ideas than I will probably ever be able to implement, here are the ones that I know will be added for sure:
- LEVEL EDITOR! with Steam Workshop integration. This will be a core part of the game and also available to Beta Testers and Steam Early Access purchasers. This is my top priority to complete before the game launches on Early Access.
- More Heroes: New characters and vehicles, including flying/hovering types.
- More Hazards: Fire? Lava? Death rays? Laser cats? Exploding vampire babies? There are so many possibilities.
- More Special Items: Zero Gravity Boosters? Magnetic Fields? Time Control Zones? Psychedelic trips?
- AI Characters: I will definitely add simple artificial intelligence characters to the game, such as pedestrians that wander about and run away screaming. I would like to add some more complex characters as well, like chainsaw-wielding maniacs that chase you.
- 100 "Official" Challenges, spread across 10 different themed Maps.
- Even more controller support + control mapping and customizations.
- Further Steam integration
- In-Game Video/GIF sharing! #GutsAndGlory #GnG
- "Family Friendly Mode"
- Extreme Blood and Gore settings
Once all that is complete, if the project continues to get enough support, then I would like to expand it with more Game Modes and content! These are not confirmed plans, but just ideas to showcase further future potential for this project. Some ideas for this include:
- Safety Bus/Taxi: You are Chuck. You are a bus/taxi driver… except your bus/taxi is just an old pickup truck, painted yellow, with wooden bench seats bolted into the bed. (Hey, local budgets are really tight!) Your job is to pick up and deliver passengers to their destinations as quickly as possible—with minimum casualties or collateral damage.
- Adventure Time: This game mode would play similar to a 3D platformer adventure game—but in vehicles and totally physics driven. Would include weapons, power-ups, and epic boss fights.
- Deathmatch Arena: Challenge Friends in a battle to the death. Think Super Mario Kart arenas—but with bloody deaths and dismemberments! Multiplayer is very difficult though, so this is probably the most challenging concept to execute.
In summary, I chose to put Guts and Glory on Kickstarter for one major reason:
To make it Bigger, Better, Faster!
(or is that 3 reasons?)
Meeting this goal on Kickstarter will allow me to:
- Take a leap of faith and work on the game full-time until Steam Early Access release. This means I can get a helluva lot more done before release day, and build a better game for y'all to enjoy.
- Purchase better equipment. I'm currently doing everything on an old iMac and testing on Windows via Parallels. Linux builds are a shot in the dark. It's a slow and clunky process. New equipment will provide a dramatic efficiency and quality boost.
- Get better software. No more GIMPing my way through this.... Build more optimized assets.
- Purchase more pre-made assets to improve the game. Building a game today is like building a highly custom car. You can buy some parts off the shelf, customize them, or build them from completely from scratch. With the proper knowledge, skills and practice, you can build something awesome! Purchasing things like 3D model assets will greatly speed up the workflow and bring more content to the game.
- Hire a sound guy! You may have noticed a lack of good audio fx in the demo. I'd like to fix that with some top-notch sounds from audiophiles who live for that stuff. I have a couple guys in mind, but it requires plunking down some cold hard cash.
- Add more music! I want players to be able to create any type of experience in the Level Editor, from wacky nonsense to more serious "action movie" type levels in a Little Big Planet-esque level-building system. Quality music goes a long way in achieving this.
- Continue development on the game for longer, expand it, and make more great games for years to come!
I absolutely love making games. I was born to do this baby! However, it's a ton of hard work and very, very time-consuming to produce quality stuff that is worth your time and money. I don't want to half-ass this. I want to make something epic that you can enjoy over and over again... something that will be a long-time favorite in your gaming collection. (Oh yeah... and I'll need to pay the bills to keep the lights on.)
Meeting, or exceeding, this goal on Kickstarter will allow me to do exactly these things. It will raise enough money that I can securely work on it full-time until Early Access launch, and provide some funds to purchase immediate improvements. If it goes above and beyond the minimum goal, then I can just make the game that much bigger and better, and work on games longer.
Together we can build something epic!
Below is a list of FREE ways you can help Guts and Glory become bigger, better, faster!
If you guys can help me hit these goals, then I will add these features. (I might make this look a little prettier later with some graphics and stuff.)
- 10,000 Kickstarter Trailer Views (Total) = Extreme Blood/Gore Option. Help me spread the word about the Kickstarter by sharing this YouTube Trailer all over the web. If it gets 10,000 views, I'll add this feature so you can paint the town red! YOU GUYS SMASHED THIS GOAL ALREADY! IT WILL BE ADDED TO THE GAME! :D
- 3,000 Twitter Followers (Total) = Free Roam Death Camera. If you die, control can be converted over to a free roaming "ghost" camera so you can fly around the map and observe the damage in detail.
- 1,000 Facebook Page Likes (Total) = Rocket League-style Jet Booster Power-Ups. Hit one of these power-ups on a track and your boost will be replaced by a powerful jet booster that can push you off the ground or help you get to hard-to-reach places.
- +5,000 Newsletter Subscribers = Zero/Low Gravity Stuff. Help me get more Newsletter Subscribers over at HakJak.com and I can add this fun feature! Things like speed boosters that give you temporary zero gravity, or zero gravity bubbles, or maybe even entire low gravity level options? Race on the moon and watch limbs fly in low gravity? ABOUT HALFWAY THERE! KEEP SPREADING THE WORD AND G&G WILL GET ZERO/LOW GRAVITY GOODNESS.
Hello, I'm HakJak! Nice to meet you!
Follow me on Twitter if you want the most up-to-date news, or just the fastest, easiest way to get in touch:
I also have profiles up on Facebook and YouTube, and post updates/videos there from time to time. Liking/Subscribing those pages is an easy way to stay up-to-date:
If you just want to be notified of the biggest news, sign-up for my Newsletter at HakJak.com. I just setup a paid newsletter service so no more Gmails getting lost in spam folders--time for something more professional :D
I have a blog there as well, that I post to occasionally if you want more behind-the-scenes type stuff.
Steam, Reddit, and perhaps Discord will be the primary channels to discuss the game.
I'll be using those extensively to post news and content, get feedback, polls, criticisms, ideas, etc. Whichever one gets the most traffic will get the most love...
- Steam Group: this will be replaced by an official Steam Community Hub fairly soon, now that the game has been Greenlit. For now, we can use the Game Group I setup during the Greenlight campaign.
- reddit.com/r/gutsandglory: Reddit (+Imgur) is where all this madness began, so it seems like a natural place to host a forum for discussion. I just acquired this sub from the old mod, so it's completely bare ATM. Feel free to load it up with links and I'll do the same! Beta Testers can feel free to share stuff over here too, so it will become a good spot to see the latest greatest goodness to come in the game.
- Discord server: testing this option out, since several people have requested it. Fast and easy chat for gamers. I like it so far cuz it's so quick.
This one really shows off the Yang Family and their Mezooki 600 Series convertible. Just some reckless cruisin' with the family. You can find more of my videos here.
I'm also extremely thankful for all the great YouTubers and Twitch streamers that have supported Guts and Glory! Thank you all, big and small!
"I'm genuinely enjoying playing this game... it's really fun." - PewDiePie
"This might be my new favorite game!" - Jacksepticeye
"I saw this game was out for a while and was like [meh I dunno]... BUT WHEN YOU PLAYIN' IT!! WHOA!" - CoryxKenshin
"I discovered your game on Reddit and I've been playing so much of it! It's just such a big blast!" - Duck Rubadub
"I just backed this on Kickstarter!" - MeatyLock
I love making games. I was born to do this baby!
I want to continue developing and expanding upon Guts and Glory for a long time, as well as build exciting new titles. (So many ideas, bubbling in my head!) With your support, we can make this happen, and I can continue to bring you crazy new experiences for years to come!
Let's build something awesome together!
Risks and challenges
The risks and challenges for this project are minimal.
Together, we've already done done these great things to ensure success:
- It's already Greenlit on Steam.
- There's already a playable early alpha build. (And now a NEW one!)
- It's been widely play-tested.
- There are no physical rewards to clog up the process; so no VAT, shipping problems or delays. Just focused work on what really matters--building a kick ass game!
That said, the only possible risks I could think of are as follows:
Risk 1: Not meeting the planned beta/release dates.
Remedy: I built this game so far while working a demanding full-time management position at a Fortune 500 company, completing my college degree at half-time enrollment, and raising a family. So I have some time-management experience. ;) I feel confident in these timelines.
Risk 2: Not being able to integrate properly with Steam Workshop, etc. or execute specific planned features.
Remedy: Hire freelance help if I get stuck. There are tons of people out there who have already done this.
Risk 3: Not being able to include all features in Linux builds.
Because the Linux ecosystem is smaller, there are fewer resources to tap into. This could cause some features to be lacking from a Linux build, such as in-game GIF/Video sharing due to lack of open-source encoders.
Remedy: Unfortunately there is little I can do about some Linux shortcomings. However, this should only effect very minor features, like the example above. The best I can do is forewarn of this possible risk and try to make it up to you guys in other ways. Other issues might be able to be solved via freelance assistance.
Other than these, this project has very minimal risks since we've already overcome the major ones during early development and the Steam Greenlight campaign!
Looking forward to your support and bringing you amazing games for years to come!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)