Our story so far
Hairy Jayne has been alive and steadily growing for about 6 years now. Right at the beginning, we successfully crowdfunded in order to get help with some of our start up costs. Ever since those small beginnings we have tried our best to listen to our lovely customers in order to become as ethical as possible.
• We started out as a natural handmade hair care business, using essential oils to fragrance the products.
• Now we are 100% vegan and cruelty-free (registered with the Vegan Society)
• Last summer we launched our plastic-saving refills, after customer queries about how they could return their plastic bottles.
January last year was when our customers started to ask if they could return their plastic bottles to us. You might have also seen footage of what birds and fish are now ingesting from our world’s pollution? Sadly, only about 10% of plastic is actually being recycled. And about 8 million tonnes of plastic is dumped into the sea every year.
So of course, we want to make a change to what we’re doing. We currently use plastic bottles for our packaging which are, technically, recyclable. And are now refillable. But we also want to offer products with minimal, plastic free packaging.
To design and make handmade solid bars, made with virtually the same ingredients as our current and popular Nourishing Shampoo and Cream Conditioner. We want to make an even more ethical shampoo and conditioner than we already do. Jayne is currently using her hairdressing background to formulate really good solid shampoo and conditioner bars that work. They are going out for testing with about 30 of our amazing customers who have agreed to be (human) guinea pigs for us. We’ll update the campaign as we get feedback from our testers about how they’re getting on with the samples we’ve sent out.
We want to make sure the bars:
Make hair feel clean, soft and healthy.
Lather well and are easy to use.
Are as natural and biodegradable as possible and cruelty-free
And smell amazing!
As with all of our existing shampoos and conditioners, there’ll be three fragrance variations for the shampoo bars – Floral, Citrus and Musk.
The bars we've made in the experimenting stage so far have been around 50g with dimensions of 5 cm x 5cm x 2.5 cm. They are good for about 30-40 washes, so will last a long time (around 2-3 months if you wash your hair 3 times a week on average).
The funds raised will help to pay for the official testing and paperwork required by a cosmetic chemist. Cosmetic Product Safety Assessments are required by law before we can start selling the bars. The funds will also cover fees charged by the Vegan Society to get them registered and the raw ingredients and materials needed to get the packaging finished and first batch off the ground. Everything we produce is handmade with love and packaged by hand from our small studio.
Our campaign isn’t just about the funding though, it is just as important to us to know that you love the idea too. It is a fixed funding campaign, which means that if we don’t reach the target, it won’t go ahead. So if you love the idea, please pre-order from us now!
If the target is reached, our longer term goal is to get them stocked in as many shops as we can so that more and more of us can reduce plastic in our homes and bathrooms.
the shampoo lathering up (above) and making the conditioner into a cream (below)
Feedback so far from our testers:
Amy (fine curly hair):
- smells amazing!!!
- quite soft - good because it moulded to the shape of my hand whilst rubbing it over my hair/ possible issue: could it fall apart a bit quickly?
- i tried applying it by lathering in my hands, but preferred rubbing it onto my head/ hair directly. It lathered sooo amazingly well when i put the bar down and scrubbed with my fingers! I usually shampoo twice, but only did once as it was so effective first time in removing my week plus grease build up. felt luscious on washing out.
- smelt lush!
- firmer than the shampoo and didn't seem to 'do' anything when putting it on. Felt a bit non-plussed at this point, but applied it via bar on hair, gliding it down the hair lengths and rubbing the ends with my fingers and also applied by rubbing between hands and using fingers for the ends.
- OMG!!!! As soon as i immersed my head in the bath water it. was. incredible!!! I knew instantly that it was a wonderful conditioner - I could feel it coating my hair (which is knotty/ curly/ dry at ends). I love it!
- I decided not to use any styling products and see whether the conditioner alone would be enough and it did not disappoint! My hair has dried super soft in ringlets - really tight curls! My hair was substantially shorter where they are so springy! The hair has retained lots of moisture and looks fantastic! On the school run this morning people asked me whether i had had it styled. It looks great and I love that I didn't have to add additional product to stop it being frizzy. i love it!!!
Gina (short cropped hair):
Shampoo: smells amazing. You need much less than you think - I broke off a pea-sized amount but half of that would have done the job. I squidged a bit into my palm and rubbed that on which was a great method - it lathered up really well and washed out beautifully. I use a lot of styling products and they were all gone.
Conditioner: I have short hair and a tiny bit makes it soft and glossy. Use a bit more, and your hair will have instant texture without styling products. Really love it!
Cath (curly hair):
The shampoo is brilliant and my curls looked great even on the 2nd day, which doesn’t always happen. I found the conditioner harder to gauge and I think I used too much the first time but 2nd time was much better so I will see how it goes and let you know.
Rachael (bleached hair):
Every hair wash feels like a special occasion! I have thick, bleach blonde hair and sensitive skin and I found this shampoo pampered to my every hair care need. It has a fresh relaxing smell and the texture of the bar was easily transformed after a little teasing, to create satisfying bubbles in my palm. I’m definitely going to use this product from now on! My hair is now softer and has a lovely healthy shine and because of the natural oils I only have to wash my hair a couple of times a week now. My hair is now a lot happier thanks to this shampoo bar and so am I!
Thank you to all of our amazing testers for helping us xx
Risks and challenges
If the feedback we get from our testers is not good enough, it could potentially delay the timings while we reformulate the product to get it right.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)