About this project
What is WiThumb?
WiThumb is an Arduino compatible USB powered WiFi IoT development board with 6 DOF IMU, precision temperature sensor and optional plastic case.
With WiThumb, adding WiFi, temperature sensor, Gyroscope and Accelerometer to your IoT project is a breeze. In addition, optional plastic case not only protects the circuits but also adds professional look to it. Why bother messy wiring or ugly project boxes while you can get this elegantly dressed up WiThumb.
In addition, WiThumb could be powered by standard USB type-A ports found in many power adapters, computers, TV, routers, cars, solar chargers and etc. It makes WiThumb an ideal device to deploy your applications anywhere.
Languages and Applications
In addition, being Arduino compatible, many sensor and WiFi libraries are readily available. For example, it is very easy to build a WiFi thermometer, to post the data to IoT cloud (e.g. on data.sparkfun.com) and to plot graphs using Analog.io).
Also, it takes no time to build a local IoT cloud with Raspberry Pi and WiThumb because of the MQTT protocol.
(Disclaimer. Mentioning of these companies doesn't imply their direct involvements nor endorsement. This is for reference only)
- Compact (1.9 inch x 0.85 inch PCB)
- USB Powered. Plug in anywhere.
- Large community (Arduino, ESP8266 WiFi)
- Easy to program
- Easy to carry
- Low cost
- Low power (deep sleep mode)
- Plastic case protects the electronics
- 32-bit MCU with 802.11b/g/n WiFi (ESP8266)
- Integrated TCP/IP protocol stack
- 4MB Flash memory
- Precision temperature sensor (+/- 0.25C typical accuracy)
- 6-axis Gyroscope + Accelerometer
- IO pins: One 10-bit ADC, I2C and SPI (GPIO pins G12-15)
- Breadboard friendly (0.1" pitch header holes)
- Optional plastic case
Possibilities are endless. To name a few:
- Internet connected thermometer
- IMU (Inertial measurement unit) for drones and robots
- As a smart device in home automation
- WiFi Access Point
- Home/Office Security (using IMU)
- Industrial temperature sensing (e.g. in data center, storage)
- IoT gateway
- WiFi sniffer
- Monitor TV usage (e.g. WiThumb is powered when TV is on)
- Monitor driver's driving habits
- With additional circuits through I2C, GPIOs and ADC, WiThumb could be the controller of many projects (WiFi controlled switches, LED control, WiFi compass, WiFi enabled soil moisture sensor, etc.)
WiThumb is compatible with Arduino and could be programmed through USB from Arduino (TM) IDE. There is a large community and many sample code and libraries available online.
In our last KickStarter project, we shipped the pledges (robots) one month ahead of schedule. Unless there is any unexpected event, we have high confidence in the following schedule.
Related topics: WiFi, USB, IoT, ESP8266, Sparkfun, Adafruit, DIY, Makers,thermometer, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, IMU, Drone, Physics, PCB, coding, AI Thinker, Espressif, Oaks, NodeMCU, Robots, MQTT, Oshpark
Risks and challenges
WiThumb has evolved from initial concept to the existing prototype. The design is believed to be final. However, we'd like to go through pre-production stage to test more parts.
The primary risk of this project is potential delay due to manufacturing and shipping partners or issues found during pre-production testing.
The components used in WiThumb are readily available in the market. If the demand of WiThumb exceeds the supply, it may cause delay to the schedule. However, this risk deems to be very low.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (33 days)