Two years ago, the super team at Living Worlds Games came to us here at Greater Than Games with an idea to use their TacDice system as the basis of a tactical, dice-based game featuring the Sentinels of the Multiverse! We’ve been working with them since then, and are now thrilled to jointly present this collaborative work.
The story which drives Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom takes place several years after the primary storyline of Sentinels of the Multiverse card game, so don’t be surprised by the changes to the heroes and villains you already know!
Sentinel Tactics puts you in control of one of the many super-powered characters from Sentinel Comics. Whether playing in tournament-style skirmishes or playing through the storyline of The Flame of Freedom in the included scenario comic book, each player controls one of our familiar heroes or villains, each with their own powers and abilities!
Combat takes place on a hex-grid map, and attack and defense is based on the rolling of six-sided dice. Whereas the Sentinels of the Multiverse card game is a fully cooperative game, Sentinel Tactics is a team based game, pitting groups of heroes and villains against each other. Groups of players will cooperate against either a villain player or players, or against another team of players! Sentinel Tactics is a competitive game, but cooperation and teamwork are still vital to the gameplay!
(The pieces you see above are prototypes, but give you a good feel for what the eventual game will look like.)
UPDATE! Here are two videos of actual demo gameplay taken at our headquarters on Tabletop Day. Warning: these are SUPER LONG! The first is a collection of bits of a couple different skirmishes:
And this one is Christopher as Baron Blade, showing the heroes how efficient he can be in his first scenario:
The first story we tell in the Sentinel Tactics line of games is The Flame of Freedom, which takes the players through the Freedom Five’s interactions with their long-lost ally, Ra! Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom will include the heroes Legacy, Bunker, Tachyon, The Wraith, Absolute Zero, and Ra, as well as the villains Baron Blade, Omnitron-V, and Citizen Dawn.
Out of the box, the game is balanced for teams comprising any heroes and/or villains in head-to-head skirmish combat. Additionally, Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom includes a scenario book which tells the comic book stories and lets you play out the heroes’ battles with the dastardly villains! In these scenarios, the villain player has access to additional scenario powers, rules, and minions that allow them to take on an entire team of heroes!
We know there has been a lot of interest in miniatures for Sentinels of the Multiverse, and with the introduction of Sentinel Tactics, we are now making them! However, we want to keep the cost of Sentinel Tactics as affordable as possible and also give fans of the Sentinels of the Multiverse card game the ability to get miniatures of their favorite characters without buying the whole game.
To these ends, Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom will come with tokens to represent each of the heroes and villains, and will retail for only $39.95! Simultaneously, we will be releasing a miniatures pack containing miniatures for each of the heroes and villains in Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom, which will retail for $29.95. Both of these items can be picked up as part of this Kickstarter campaign!
All of the Sentinels Miniatures are PVC miniatures on a hexagonal clear plastic base (1.25” side-to-side). The miniatures are on a 32mm scale, and the Omnitron miniature is significantly larger and stands on a 3-hex base.
Here's what comes in the boxes!
Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom
- Large Character Panels for each character in the game
- A deck of Power Cards for each character
- Scenario-specific power cards for Villains
- 8 Hexagonal Map Tiles
- Tokens for characters and game effects
- 18 6-sided dice (6 red, 6 white, 6 blue)
- A full-color rulebook
- A full-color, comic book style scenario book
Sentinels Miniatures: The Flame of Freedom
- Miniatures for each of the Freedom Five:
Legacy, Bunker, Tachyon, The Wraith, and Absolute Zero!
- A miniature for the hero, Ra!
- Miniatures for each of the Villain Characters:
Baron Blade, Omnitron-V, and Citizen Dawn!
Here are some graphics which show what each Backer Level gets you!
Check out our Pledge Calculator for help figuring out just how much to pledge to get the rewards you want!
Successfully funding Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom is just the beginning! For the rest of the campaign, we will use Stretch Goals to enhance and upgrade the game and give you even more awesome stuff! Each Stretch Goal will have a specific dollar amount required to unlock the goal. Once a Stretch Goal has been unlocked, we will post an update with more details.
Most of our stretch goals take the form of free bonus characters. These heroes and villains will not be included in the core game, but will be sent out for free to backers along with their other backer rewards. Once we unlock those Stretch Rewards, we'll create additional Backer Levels which get you additional miniatures for the bonus characters, but the characters themselves will be free! The more we over-fund, the more awesome bonuses everyone will get!
Here is a chart hinting at what exciting things are yet to come!
- $50k - UNLOCKED! - We're fully funded! Every backer at any of our Backer Levels will get three Sentinel Tactics art prints and an additional promo Power Card for each character in the game, including any unlocked bonus characters! Each future Stretch Goal which adds another character will add another card to the Promo Power Card Pack!
- $65k - UNLOCKED! - Beacon!
- $80k - UNLOCKED! - The Operative!
- $95k - UNLOCKED! - The Visionary!
- $110k - UNLOCKED! - Sentinel Tactics: Uprising!
- $125k - UNLOCKED! - Ambuscade!
- $140k - UNLOCKED! - Environment Elements in Uprising!
- $155k - UNLOCKED! - Proletariat!
- $170k - UNLOCKED! - Citizens of the Sun Miniatures!
- $185k - UNLOCKED! - Unity!
- $200k - Add-On Pack unlocked!
We have a pack of additional content that will be shipped 6-7 months after the core game ships. Here's the contents of that Add-On Pack:
You can add $40 to get this pack, or $100 to get it with all of the miniatures painted. If you want just the miniatures or just the poster maps, you can add just $30 for the Just Minis version of the Add-On Pack sans poster maps (or $90 for the Painted version), or $20 for the Just Maps version of the Add-On Pack. If you're outside the US, you need to add an additional either $5 for Canada, or $40 for everywhere else.
You can also add extra copies of the Sentinel Tactics products we're making as part of this campaign, as detailed in Update #17.
Painted Flame of Freedom and Uprising Miniatures
For those of you who want painted miniatures, but are willing to wait a few months for your game and don't want to buy in at the $250 pledge level, we have an add-on option for you. For an additional $60, we will replace any set of unpainted miniatures in your backer rewards with painted miniatures. There are two very important details about this add-on:
- This will delay shipping for your entire set of backer rewards, including the core Sentinel Tactics game, for several months.
- This add-on only works if your backer level already includes unpainted miniatures. That means that this add-on WILL NOT WORK for those of you at the $50 HEROIC COMBAT level!
In order to upgrade your miniatures to full color, click on the Manage My Pledge button on the main page of the Kickstarter campaign, and add $60 per miniatures pack that you would like to colorize. That is all that you have to do for now. After the campaign ends, we will be sending out a backer survey asking about add-ons.
International Shipping for Add-Ons
Rewards for this Kickstarter campaign will be shipped in three waves:
- Primary Wave: The first wave of shipments, in which the vast majority of backer rewards, including the game itself, will ship.
- Painted Wave: The second wave of shipments, approximately 4-8 weeks after the Primary Wave, during which painted miniatures will ship. Anyone who has upgraded their unpainted miniatures to painted using the +$60 add-on will have all of their rewards shipped at this time.
- Add-On Pack Wave: The third and final wave of shipments, approximately 6-7 months after the Primary Wave, during which the Add-On Pack discussed above will be shipped.
For international backers, you must add the appropriate international shipping surcharge to your order for each wave that you will receive. For example, if you receive the bulk of your rewards in the Primary Wave, and also purchase the add-on pack, you must pay the international surcharge twice (for a total of $10 for Canada or $80 for other international destinations).
Here's what ships in various waves:
International shipping has been a perpetual expensive headache for us, as previous Kickstarter backers may recall. However, this time around, we have managed to improve things somewhat, at least for Canadians. If you live in Canada, your International Shipping Surcharge is now only $5!! The Canadian shipments will all be sent from us to a sorting facility in Canada, and then shipped out individually from there to all the backers, so you won't have to pay any importing fees or custom charges or anything like that. The additional $5 will cover everything!
Unfortunately, we have not managed to achieve any reliable cost savings yet for other international customers, so everyone who lives outside the US or Canada still has to add $40 to their order to cover shipping.
On the plus side, we recently had long chats with our FedEx account rep, and have found a way to ensure that EU and Australian backers pay no additional taxes or import duties! This doesn't reduce the shipping, but it does mean that you won't get hit by additional fees - we'll be covering those for you.
In summary, add these shipping surcharges to your order:
- US Backers: $0 (free shipping!)
- Canadian Backers: $5 (pay no taxes or duties!)
- All Other Backers: $40 (EU and Australian backers pay no taxes or duties!)
NOTE: We do not use third-party software such as a ship manager, so you must add any international surcharges to your pledge before the campaign ends!
Even though we recognize that the international shipping fees are ridiculous, they will by no means cover all of our international shipping + customs charges. However, we hope that they will at least allow us to not lose money on international rewards. We would rather charge a high shipping fee than get rid of international delivery all together - we love our international backers!
Sentinel Tactics has already been making its way through the media!
Check out the BoardGameGeek page for Sentinel Tactics here.
Sentinel Tactics is listed on Kicktraq.
Spiff, one of our awesome backers who also makes a lot of Sentinels of the Multiverse stuff, has made all sorts of great avatars and such for Sentinel Tactics - check them out!
This is a great announcement article about our release from Christina Green at Initiative: Tabletop.
CJ Miozzi at The Escapist did a great write-up on the success of the first couple days of this campaign.
Matt Quiett interviewed Christopher about this Kickstarter on The Nerd's Domain podcast.
Jonathan Liu wrote about us and many other Kickstarters over at GeekDad.
Greg Marshall over at the Bored Gamers did a write-up about this campaign with a great title.
The Multiverse Nerds gear up for the Sentinel Tactics Kickstarter.
The Nerd Nighters did an episode of Back It! with designers Kevin Nunn and Luther Hendricks.
The Real Basement Dwellers talked to Christopher about Sentinel Tactics on their podcast.
We sent our prototype of Sentinel Tactics to Undead Viking, and he did a comprehensive review of it.
Have you written an article, done a podcast, recorded an interview, or made a video about Sentinel Tactics? Send me an e-mail at Christopher@GreaterThanGames.com and I'll add it to our Media section!
Risks and challenges
One of the biggest challenges we face with this Kickstarter campaign stems from the fact that the rewards from the last Greater Than Games Kickstarter campaign for Galactic Strike Force were delayed by a number of months, and have not yet shipped to backers. There is a risk that potential backers will not trust us to get our rewards for this project out on time, or will feel reluctant backing a new project when we have not yet shipped the rewards from our previous project. We intend to address these concerns in the following ways:
1) While Galactic Strike Force was delayed in order to perfect the gameplay, it is now entirely complete and has been at the printer for over a month. Barring massive natural disasters or other calamities, it will ship to backers in May.
2) We have run several Kickstarter campaigns at this point, and have learned a lot. One of the biggest lessons we have learned is that it pays have a game very close to complete (both in terms of mechanics and pre-production, such as art and story) before launching the Kickstarter; this allows us to much more easily predict the production timeline and avoid the sorts of delays we experienced with Galactic Strike Force.
3) It is important that we launch the Sentinel Tactics Kickstarter now, rather than waiting until Galactic Strike Force ships, so that we can feel confident promising it to backers by Christmas.
In summary, we are happy to announce that Sentinel Tactics is much further along in its production schedule than any of our previous games were during the launch of their Kickstarters, and we are confident that Sentinel Tactics will ship on time.
Additionally, we stand resolved that if we are ever less than 100% pleased with a game, we will not hesitate to delay its production until such a confidence level is reached, for the sake of our fans, our backers, and all gamers everywhere. Making great games is the most important thing we do.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)