About this project
Our Kickstarter campaign may be over, but our Quest continues!
Visit our website at DragonFinSoup.com to become a Slacker Backer to get all of the same cool Prizes and Rewards that we offer here!
A bit of what the press is saying about Dragon Fin Soup...
"Having left AAA development, the space created by Albion and Monif with Grimm Bros is one of pure passion.” - Polygon
"Yes, this isn't for you Disney fans who think fairy tales are all cutesy and sweet. This hearkens back to old-school dark fable madness. And it looks wonderful." - Operation Rainfall
“...there's an old-school zelda vibe crossed with tactical combat and crafting. That appeals.” - Rock Paper Shotgun
"It's a colourful, eye-catching and visually charming game with a story mode (like a normal RPG) and survival mode (permadeath).” - EuroGamer
"Dragon Fin Soup uses sex, violence, and a sense of humor to create an RPG that even non-questers will enjoy.” - Busy Gamer Nation
Watch our Kickstarter video in 1080p HERE!
Grimm Bros is proud to present Dragon Fin Soup. A Tactical Action RPG with roguelike elements set in a charming, twisted, dark, fairy tale inspired world featuring a 2D top down camera and fluid turn-based movement that allows you to set the pace.
The World of Dragon Fin Soup is set on the back of a giant dragon-turtle god called Asura who swims the multiverse of space-time. The player can choose to unravel the tale of your chosen character in Story Mode or embark on a journey to discover the wilds of Asura in Survival Mode.
Story Mode is designed to focus on storytelling, character progression and exploration. The game begins in a small country village where you slowly learn about the mysteries of the world of Asura. You will encountering a custom blend of procedural content, scripted events, crafted story quests and procedurally generated missions. The World Map of Asura and Save/Load options will be available to you.
Survival Mode is designed for the thrills and terrors that come with exploring the wilds of Asura, fighting challenging monsters, and surviving to achieve the highest score in single life. The game begins in a forest at level 1 with limited supplies. You will encounter waves of procedurally generated dungeons filled with traps, monsters, and mini-games that grow in increasing difficult over time. Tread carefully Save/Load options are available but death is permanent.
A key defining aspect to Dragon Fin Soup is our fluid turn-based gameplay. Typically turn based games are slow and discontinuous. However in Dragon Fin Soup our movement, combat and controls have been streamlined to empower you to set your own pace. At any time you can choose to speed-up to rapidly progress and fight swift battles or slow-down to calculate your next move and assess each encounter.
Dragon Fin Soup will appeal to core gamers looking for deep rich tactical experience and RPG fans who love dark twisted tales.
Inspired by classic fairy tales the world of Dragon Fin soup does not try to retell existing stories but is rather set in a brave new world of twisted adventures, magic and mysteries. Our first playable character in Dragon Fin Soup is Red Robin, a reimagined version of the classic Red Riding Hood character. Robin is a cheerful yet raging alcoholic that makes a living as a sword for hire and bounty hunter in a remote country village.
A year ago Robin lost her memory but her dark bloody past has come back to haunt her with a vengeance. Slowly as Robin rediscovers herself she begins to remember the horrible events of her violent past, the death of her family, betrayal, and exile. But there is much more to Robin's existence… As the story unfolds and with every twist in the plot the player is pulled deeper into a world of murder, conspiracies and magic.
- Beautiful HD World - The world of Dragon Fin Soup is charming, colorful, detailed and designed to look fantastic at multiple HD resolutions and screen sizes.
- Collectible Pet Familiars - You can have up to 2 pets familiars active at the same time. You will be able to collect a variety of pets each with their own stats and level that will grow while fighting at your side.
- Crafted Story Quests - Our story quests are carefully written and scripted to advance the unfolding tale of your character within the world of Asura. No spoilers!
- Deep Tactical Combat - Combat features multiple tactical elements such as directional damage, various ranged attacks, melee, magic, DOT and AOA. The damage model features blunt, piercing and slashing damage types as well as elemental damage, projectile damage and defense. You can perform Backstabs, sneak around and so on. Over 15 equipment slots and dual-wielding feature offer interesting choices of gear combinations.
- Dynamically Generated World - The world of Asura is dynamically generated with a large numbers of prefabricated landmarks, scripted events and random gameplay elements. Our dungeons features a wide range of compelling locations and layouts for you to explore such as Spider Forests, Ice Caves, Abandoned Mines, Scorching Deserts, Mushroom Forests, Haunted Mansions, Castles, Ancient Ruins and much much more.
- Extensive Crafting - Loot everywhere! While cutting down foes and trees, digging and exploring you will find gazillions of items that can be used to craft new gear, food, magic potions and what not!
- Fluid Turn based Gameplay - Streamlined controls, movement and combat allow for you to set your own pace of progression. Choose to speed-up to quickly move and strike or slow-down to carefully plan your next move.
- High Accessibility - We designed fun and intuitive controls for your play style choice. Keyboard, Mouse, Keyboard + Mouse, Joypad, and Touch controls are all supported.
- Interactive Environment - In the world you can destroy, move or manipulate a wide range of props, trees, rocks, blocks, and chests. Beware of trees falling over if you cut them down!
- Mini Games & Puzzles - Tired of killing? Kick back and relax! Go fishing or pick up a shovel and dig some holes into the ground, who knows what you may find? There is much to do in DFS aside of spilling blood! Rune tracking, gathering, puzzles, side quests, fishing! Dungeons are loaded with scripted events, ambushes, traps and movable blocks!
- NPCs for Hire - Having trouble with a mission or need company? Hire some muscle! Badass Sword specialists, Metal Head Rangers or a dude who will carry your purse are at your service!
- Procedurally Generated Missions - We offer a variety of fun and engaging mission themes such as escort, gathering, retrieval, raid, delivery, seek-and-destroy, and crafting.
- Twisted Characters - In Dragon Fin Soup there are no lame stereotypical heroes. Instead we feature fairy tale inspired characters each with their own deep flaws, witty humor, abilities, and motivations. Our first tale begins with Red Robin, whose dark bloody past has come back to haunt her with a vengeance.
- Unpredictable Weather & Day/Night Cycles - Each time you visit or revisit a location a new kind of weather will be picked randomly. Day and night cycles gradually progress the more game turns pass. Beware of dangerous monsters rumored to hunt during specific times!
Once upon a time, twas a great Dragon Turtle god Asura swimming the vast cosmos of the multiverse. Upon its back was born a world of magic and wonderment.
Of the Asura realm ancient songs do tell of a great endless war lasting centuries between Man and Wesen, know as the Age of Fire.
The endless war threatened to extinguish all life on the Dragon Turtle god, until a heroic Human Princess sacrificed her life to protect her lover, a Wesen. Her love moved the hearts of all across the Asura kingdoms. The Princess’s heir, a bastard child, born of both Human-Wesen blood, eventually became the Emperor of all the kingdoms and his bloodline has ruled since this time.
A thousand years passed until one day a burning rogue planet crossed paths with the Dragon Turtle god, filling the skies with blood red colors and raining down crystal shards. Tis now the beginning of a new era, foretold by the prophets that will give rise to new heroes and tales of lore.
[Disclaimer: Grimm Bros is only responsible for reward delivery. Additional taxes and fees, if any are the sole responsibility of the backer.]
Music Box Style from BetterMusicBoxes.com
We see Kickstarter as a great platform to connect with gamers and are here asking for your backing to help us finish the game and make Dragon Fin Soup a phenomenal experience!
Grimm Bros is a new indie RPG game company of veteran developers. We are very small and 100% indie. Our entire team is spread around the world with members located in Philadelphia, Bangkok, Chicago, San Francisco, and London. We all work together online making games from our home offices, pubs, cafes… basically anywhere with a power outlet and wifi.
As an indie studio it’s important to be in control of the development without not having to bend and compromise from outside influences. We are indie because we really want to make the kind of games we would personally enjoy playing and not doing work for hire or work on projects where the focus is on the business model.
Our development has been funded so far with the help of our amazing friends and family in addition to our own personal money, time, and efforts.
Dragon Fin Soup is our debut title that we’ve been pouring all of our time, efforts, and hearts into over the past year in order to craft a fantastic game experience to share with you. Every day we proudly sacrifice our souls to the elder gods of gaming to bring you yummy RPG goodes!
Randis Albion - Leading the production Team and is in charge of the Game Design and Art Direction, doing all the Graphics, Concepts, SFX and something something.
Been around the block with almost 18 years industry exp, has 7 cats, is the official Final Fantasy Superfan, video game collector and loves reading Sci-Fi novels and anime/manga.
Pongkasem Natprasert (Sem) - Being an avid gamer since early childhood Sem always knew what he wanted to become a game developer.
With decades of production experience he still is madly in love with games, especially tactics and strategy RPG titles such as the Ogre Saga and FF Tactics. Sem is doing a lot of work on the Dungeon Generation and all kinds of game features.
Kritaya Kridakorn Na Ayuthaya (Nick) - His first encounter with video games as a kid was a love on first sight.
Nick loves playing all kinds of games, preferably tactics RPGs, he also loves cats and spends the rest of his free time with Reading, talking long walks, watching Drama and sleeping. Nick is working on the UI, the AI and controls of the game.
Mark Wimmer - Mark has been coding and designing games since about 1990 or so, beginning on an Apple IIe computer.
Many of his favorite games are from the SNES era, including titles such as Space Megaforce (Super Aleste in Japan), ActRaiser (one of the best game soundtracks of all time), Zelda 3-A Link To The Past, Street Fighter 2, Contra III, TMNT IV, Bomberman, Mario Kart... the list could go on and on. Mark is in charge of the graphics, engine, and mission scripting.
Aaron Weingarten - Aaron has been bouncing around the industry for a couple of years doing games from mobile to console before joining Grimm Bros.
His favorite game is Batman Arkham City for its perfect blend of comics and games. Aaron is supporting development every way possible whether its coding, level design, or QA.
Ashley Monif (Ash) - Ash fights for Grimm Bros doing extreme bare knuckle Biz Dev, Ops, PR and Production among many other things.
Ash grew up playing games already before he even learned to walk and had his hands in the Game Industry for over 15 years working for companies like EA, Atari, Subatomic and Human Head in leading positions. He has a cute little dog named Mr. Roo and savors slowly taking his time to play-through the latest Zelda game as a reward for hard work.
Introducing Jade Leamcharaskul, the talented music composer of Dragon Fin Soup! Jade has worked very closely with the team in order to create the right composition, tone and sound that will bring the world of Dragon Fin Soup to life.
Here are a few sample tracks created for Dragon Fin Soup...
The Journey Ahead
Imperial Castle - Royal Blood
Home is where the Hearth is
Grimm Bros is proud to offer these lovely Sankyo MUSIC BOXES as part of our Reward Tiers that will be playing original melody soundtracks from Dragon Fin Soup!
The large 50 notes Sankyo luxurious Music Box series "Orpheus" was named after a minstrel master "Orpheus" of Greek mythology .
The Sankyo "Orpheus" music box have very deep sound true to its name. Sankyo reproduced the "nailing" techonology which means "driving nails into the cylinder of music box". The nailing technology has been polished among skilled craftmen of Europe of the 19th century.
By moving sideway the cylinder, it can play multiple tracks of 2 songs, 3 songs, and also can play one long song!
Risks and challenges
Dragon Fin Soup is self-funded with the help of our amazing friends and family. The base funding goal and the stretch goals will give us additional development time to add additional features, polish and porting to make Dragon Fin Soup a fantastic game experience!
Roguelikes are a challenging experience that gamers typically love or hate. Not everyone is a huge fan of the harsh punishments, permanent death and the highscore-survival aspects.
Grimm Bros is an indie RPG studio that loves Roguelikes but also loves Action Adventures and JRPGs. So we asked ourselves how would it feel to combine a classic console JRPG with Roguelike mechanics, procedural content and tactical turn-based combat?
12 month later our answer to that question is Dragon Fin Soup! A fast paced and yet tactical 2D RPG hybrid experience that features everything that we love about classic console JRPGs and PC roguelikes! Fluid controls, brilliant graphics, scaling difficulty and a great story.
Randis and Ash are industry veterans with over 15 years of experience each developing and producing a wide variety of games. We know how to make games and we have a solid track record of delivering on what we promise. We aren’t just another indie who won’t deliver.
Dragon Fin Soup is currently at Alpha and once we finishing adding the rest of the story quests, magic, and game balancing we will begin extended focus testing and a Closed Beta to insure the game is as fun and enjoyable as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)