PROJECT FUNDED! THANK YOU!
Help us buy a laser! Creations out of chaos... Reclaiming and up-cycling would-be waste materials into quality, eco-friendly products
Alex, here! I am excited about the up-cycling movement and appreciate the opportunity to share my story and small business, Griffen Hollow Studio, with you. Thank you for visiting my Kickstarter campaign. I hope you will consider making a pledge to support it and share it with your friends. We can’t do this without you!
Our mission at Griffen Hollow Studio is providing quality professional craftsmanship. Whether it is manufacturing our own eco-friendly products or completing custom orders for clients we strive to produce exactly what the customer wants.
I recently started Griffen Hollow Studio out of a passion to be professionally creative while being socially responsible. I have been fortunate to have consistently increasing clientele who never cease to inspire and drive my work. Through collaboration with colleagues, like makers at the Columbus Idea Foundry, and while partnering with clients on innovative projects, I have expanded my technical abilities and creative skill set from woodworking to a variety of mediums.
Up-cycling: The idea for this business was conceived in conversations surrounding the impact of waste management in a variety of environments and industries that produce waste and simply get rid of it. It happens from daily projects, fashion manufacturing, in home improvement activities, just to name a few. Many projects and products begin with new materials and end with scraps, which are essentially quality materials that go unused.
If I can reclaim perfectly good materials from what others call waste, I will at every chance I get. Why not? This is a step further than recycling. It is, 'up-cycling,’ making it better than it was before. At Griffen Hollow Studio, it’s called creating out of other’s chaos.
Kickstarter-Exclusive Line, Woody’s Wooden and Acrylic Accessories: Tinkering around with the materials I had, I was able to develop a unique, eco-friendly line of products for this Kickstarter debut of my line, Woody's Wooden and Acrylic Accessories. This line utilizes previously unused materials to create art or functional products.
- Exclusive Rewards for Backers: To create your pledge rewards, I will be reclaiming old barns, projects, furniture and more to bring you the finest wooden accessories. As for the acrylics, I will be breaking down unused shelves, filtering through scrap from acrylic distributors, and buying drop cuts from local businesses to make you high quality, functional, unique products.
$20,000 GOAL: This amount would provide Griffen Hollow Studio the funds to significantly upgrade our most-used equipment and perform necessary shop maintenance. Purchasing a laser cutter is a top priority to make the business, which would make production more time and cost-effective. These upgrades would additionally provide an endless amount of possibilities for creation to our clients and additional revenue streams for the business.
Live it, but also educate and advocate: Griffen Hollow Studio is more than just creating, being eco-friendly, and selling. Educating about ways that you can be eco-friendly at home and advocating for responsible manufacturing is one of Griffen Hollow Studio’s top priorities. This is achieved via social media engagement and during everyday work with clients. It is important to us to be a role model and create responsibly.
Griffen Hollow Studio’s eco-friendly work was featured in a news segment for a local new station in Columbus, Ohio being recognized for the up-cycling lifestyle and practices the business promotes. Check it out!
It is a pleasure to talk about helping our environment and sustainable practices! Thank you for checking this out and please consider making a pledge of any amount that you can afford from $1 and up.
I hope to be creating for you soon!
- Alex Traxler
For the rewards here are some descriptions and photos!
Wood/Metal Money clip:
- Reclaimed wood from old barns, tables, doors and more
- Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Maple, Ash, Sassafras and 90+ year old redwood (formerly the bleachers from Ohio Stadium home of the Buckeyes)
- Easily adjustable to fit smaller amounts if your fat stacks stretch out the metal
- Customize the money clip with your business logo, initials or something else spiffy.
Wooden Mouse Pad:
- Through some testing I decided to make these with lighter color wood for the use as a mouse pad
- Most of these will be made with reclaimed white oak, maple, walnut, cherry
- Roughly 8"x8"
- Rubber feet on the bottoms prevent sliding on the a desk or couch
- Made with reclaimed wood or acrylic
- Color on one side / Clear on the other (to see ID etc.)
- Use as a credit card and ID holder or for business card or all of them
- I have had mine in my back pocket for 4-5 months without it breaking. I would recommend not sitting on it in the back pocket but then again, mine is making me proud!
- Customize with a picture, initials, business logo or whatever suits your fancy.
- There maybe air bubbles between layers. Though I work to get a clearer final product, they are part of the unique nature of using up-cycled materials.
- ***Cherry, walnut, maple and 90+ year old redwood (formerly the bleachers from Ohio Stadium home of the Buckeyes)
Acrylic State Coasters:
Your choice of any states borders on a set of four reclaimed acrylic coasters. 3 1/2" x 1/8" or 1/4" depending on the acrylic reclaimed. (If you want it in a solid color I will provide a list of the colors available at the end of the project.)
Pins and Key-chains:
This is a great pledge for any small business, promotional company, band and anyone else looking to spread the word. They are unique gifts, retail products or whatever you want to use them for. This is a one time special for the Kickstarter. This price includes the setup, design and labor fees!
Pins: Your choice of shape, logo and choice of light or dark wood.
Key-chains: Your choice of shape, logo and choice of wood or acrylic.
Tee Shirt and Poster:;
- Printed on super soft ring spun tees
- Hand printed by Traxler Tees
- Adult sizes only
- Hand printed
- Printed on handmade paper
- Limited number come with frame. These frames will be made from reclaimed walnut.
I love finding inspiration all around me and take pride sourcing materials and labor from folks locally. So for this Kickstarter project I reached out to Graham Erwin of Traxler Tees to make an awesome silk screen print. This griffin will adorn the GHS Kickstarter Tees and a limited number will be made into posters!
Custom reclaimed furniture:
I will help you design or design you a piece of small/medium furniture (end tables or small table and matching shelves for example).
Or, I will work with your business to create a piece for your space.
Risks and challenges
Our risks and challenges are minimal. I think the hardest part will come in matching the backers color preferences. But, we have multiple sources for materials and have been saving up scraps for awhile.
Our products are pretty clear cut. Prototype designs were made by hand and the products are cut on the laser and hand assembled in Ohio. We hope reduce the wait by assembling the products in house.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)