Jumping into an alien HIVE alone is certain death. That’s why we want this MULTI-PLAYER GAME shared with each and every one of your friends. As a special thanks to those who have taken the JUMP with us on KICKSTARTER, we are promoting you to commanders of your very own jump squad. You will be part of the team that made this game happen, and that means you can give this game for FREE to your friends upon its release.
Starting at the $30 ELITE TIER, you will earn your own unique recruiter link to the game allowing you to share it with your friends for FREE once the game is released. This update will automatically apply to all current $30 backers and above!
At the NEW $55 ELITE TIER you will earn an ADDITIONAL share-able recruiter link to the closed BETA once it is released. You will be able to bring your friends in on the beta-testing action!
This is EXCLUSIVE to KICKSTARTER and our loyal backers and has never been done before. You aren’t just funding a game, with your pledge you are opening the door to your own network of friends who will have this awesome game because of your willingness to make the jump.
NOW, ON WITH THE GAME DETAILS!!!
In the 24th century, mankind has spread across the stars colonizing planets and gathering valuable resources. During a routine mining operation, a colony discovers a dangerous race of alien creatures. Instinctively violent and bug-like, these aliens tear the colonists to pieces. The Human Systems Alliance (H.S.A.) has declared war on the bugs and has formed a special military unit to fight the bugs. Launched in jump-pods from orbit, this unit’s mission is to deliver a nuclear device to the heart of the alien hive, deep beneath the planet’s surface. This process is called the J.U.M.P. (Justified Use of Military Power).
The war with the BUGS is on, are you brave enough to make the JUMP?
Inspired by games like METROID, movies like STARSHIP TROOPERS, and literature like ENDER’S GAME, HIVE JUMP is a multiplayer co-op sci-fi shooter that gives players the experience of jumping into a gloriously rendered alien hive, fighting their way to the bottom, and nuking the hive queen for the good of mankind!
Packed with firepower of all sorts, players assume the role of a military unit called a JUMPER. Controlled with traditional WASD/Mouse combination or gamepad, players must descend deep below the planet’s surface, fighting through extensive hive tunnel networks, and slaying bugs by the thousands. Your team’s ultimate goal is to transport a vital TRANSPONDER BACKPACK into the “queen room” of each hive, so the H.S.A. ship in orbit can beam a specialized nuke directly into the heart of the hive.
- SOLID 2D GAMEPLAY! Experience the carnage of each JUMP in hand crafted 2D pixel art! Shoot, blast and fry awesomely animated bugs of all shapes and sizes; all presented in a visual style very near and dear to our hearts.
- CO-OP MULTIPLAYER! HIVE JUMP will support Online CO-OP multiplayer allowing multiple players to connect online and make the jump together. Select your weapons, target the hive and settle in for an adrenaline packed multi-player experience. Nothing makes a JUMP more satisfying than making it out alive with your closest friends at your side.
- UPGRADABLE WEAPONRY! Devastate the bug menace with an arsenal of high-powered sci-fi weaponry. Pulverize bugs with your pulse rifle, fry them with a flamethrower, and discover the variety of experimental bombs and weapons available to the J.U.M.P corps.
- ENDLESS LEVEL VARIETY! Traverse and explore procedurally generated alien hives. No two hives will be the same as you fight through waves of bugs, explore the various chambers in the hive, and gather resources for the war effort against the bugs.
- SPACE AGED RESOURCES! Synthesize the alien goo you collect into useful tools to make bigger and more dangerous JUMPs. Supersize your flamethrower, stock your pockets with extra bombs or deck out your JUMPER with more powerful boots allowing you to obliterate tougher alien hives.
- SPRITE LAMP! When we saw the Sprite Lamp Kickstarter, we were determined to make sure this amazing technology made it into Hive Jump. After a few days of experimentation and learning using the alpha version of the technology, we are astounded by what it’s capable of. Click here to view footage of Sprite Lamp being used in a scene.
- Weaponry - Every jumper is given a standard issue H.S.A. Pulse Rifle, but there is an arsenal full of weapons, conventional and experimental, just waiting to see action against the alien menace.
- Explosives - Make bugs go BOOM with the latest and greatest explosives that the H.S.A. lab techs and engineers have devised. There’s a bomb for every sticky situation.
- Jump Boots - Alien hives are not easily traversable for humans, which is why every JUMPER is issued a pair of jump boots. These are perfect for boosting yourself over enemies to rain down death from above, or explore that hive chamber just out of reach.
- Upgrades - Want to add some spread to that shotgun? Are your jump boots running out of fuel mid-flight? How about we upgrade your gear so you can bring the fight to the bugs in full form.
- Transponder Pack - Jumpers may be expendable, but this backpack isn't. You need to deliver this package all the way to the bottom of the hive - to the queen room. How else are we going to beam a nuke down 4 km under the planet’s crust from orbit? Oh yeah, this backpack is also how we teleport in reinforcements, so don’t let the bugs walk off with it.
- Gather Resources - It turns out these bugs are good for something. They secrete a very valuable mineral substance that we can exploit for energy. It’ll be up to you to decide how long you spend gathering resources in the alien hive, but the added risk could be vital to the war effort.
Studio Director & Executive Producer of Hive Jump, Matt's in charge of making this thing "GO". Matt's worked on over 50 games starting as early as the GameBoy Advance - nearly all of them are licensed titles. So he's most excited to have Hive Jump be his magnum opus - a symphony of firepower and bug guts. Follow Matt @raitheoshow.
Matt D is both a game designer and scrum master. He masterminds game ideas (muahhahaha) while helping engineers and artists make awesome things. Matt is the current Magic the Gathering champ in the office. His torment deck is ridiculously OP. Follow Matt @mattdonatelli.
From the rough and tumble streets of Chicago, John contributes a deep passion for clean code and an awesome knack for making tools like our level builder.
Graphite Lab's first intern turned programmer, Zack works night and day to make cool things happen in code.
Pixels are Ben's friends which he wrangles with skill and precision! Ben is also responsible for other artistic treasures like the Hive Jump logo.
Matt "Stevens" Stevens has worked on over 18 games including titles on Wii and DS. Our resident animator and fine artist, Matt is the only one on the team with the patience to use watercolors.
David ensures our games are bug-free masterpieces day in and day out. When he's not testing he's contributing a significant amount of art work to the game as well as being our resident Deadpool expert.
Up to this point, Graphite Lab has been a Work-For-Hire business. While we’ve been successful with that business model for over 5 years, it does take a lot of time to stock the coffers well enough to embark on an adventure like this one (without some help, that is). What we love most about Kickstarter is that offers us the best chance to secure the remaining funding we need to produce the game, while providing us a way to build a community around the game’s development.
We’ll be using the funds to meet the following goals:
• Funds will go directly toward growing the core team as we complete the game. This would not be possible without Kickstarter!
• Additional programming support for more features and more extensive polish – specifically so we can support more complex modes of network play.
• Even more content, art, and elaborate animations and effects. We want to include even more game types, enemies, environments, and weapons!
• We plan to secure some top notch music talent. We’ve worked with many amazing musicians through our contract projects and we would love to turn them loose on this project to make an amazing score.
- Facebook: Like and share!
- Twitter: Follow and tweet!
- YouTube: Subscribe and watch!
- Tumblr: Follow for the arts!
- Newsletter: Sign up and get sweet updates from the team!
- Steam: Greenlight this game! The more votes we receive, the more likely it is to be available on Steam at launch. We really need your support with a "YES" vote!
Risks and challenges
Our experience is largely in work-for-hire development. This means we’re usually defaulting to a set of specs given to us by a client. Making our first truly original title will be an exercise in discipline as we push ourselves to force every little bit of awesome in this game that we can. Fortunately, our professional experience in the video game industry (over 25 years of combined experience and credits in over 60 shipped titles) has taught us a thing or two about getting work done. We’ve planned, scheduled, and committed to making this game awesome and delivered on time!
Communicating and working directly with our audience will be new to us – usually there is a publisher or two in the way. With Hive Jump, we’ve already gone to great lengths to create a website, forum, newsletter, as well as connecting to all the sweet social networking sites you know and love - in order to keep in touch with our fans and supporters! We’ll make regular updates on these platforms, and of course keep our Kickstarter backers informed as well. We’re looking forward to hearing from fans of the game!
Finally, we know that some of you may have checked out our portfolio and thought to yourself “these guys make a LOT of kids games – what the hell do they know about making a sci-fi action shooter?!” We answer that by sending you to the Hive Jump website - learn about our team, our backgrounds in game development, and our inspirations. We may have a portfolio packed with ponies and play.."clay", but this has only made us more motivated to turn this game into something truly amazing!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)