About this project
WHAT IS GestureR?
GestureR is an Arduino-compatible gesture sensing module that brings you to your DIY devices, with one of the latest technologies in smartphones!
GestureR will be the first gesture sensing shield you can find in the market. It is also very tiny, inexpensive and user-friendly!
WHAT CAN GestureR ACTUALLY DO?
Inside GestureR, there is a tiny sensor.
This sensor enables GestureR to do the following:
GestureR can distinguish your gesture in 4 directions in 3 different speeds.
GestureR can sense the distance of an object up to 10cm from the sensor.
Ambient Light Sensing:
GestureR can measure the level of ambient light.
GestureR can communicate with any Arduino Host or other microcontrollers through I2C interface. We also know that reading through datasheets is always painful when using a new shield or sensor. So we do it for you! We have already made some sample codes for most of the useful functions in Arduino format. You can just connect GestureR to your device and use it right away with simple commands.
VARIANTS OF GestureR
GestureR will come in three different models for different applications. Choose the one which suits you most!
- Size around 54 x 53 mm
- Pin Assignment is compatible with Arduino UNO, so that you can combine it easily with your Arduino devices already built.
- 1 Bright RGB LED and 12 Purple LEDs for you to use and demonstrate easily.
- 1 2-channel DIP Switch to use for mode changing or anything you want.
- 2 Bus Switches that can cut off the connections of LEDs on the GestureR when you use the I/O pin to do something else.
- Size around 21 x 11mm
- Pins pitch in DIP format.
- Compatible with breadboards.
- 1 Bright RGB LED for you to use.
- Size around 11 x 11mm
- Ultimately small size and thin.
- Best for making your own tiny DIY devices
The tiny sensor on GestureR contains an IR emitter and four IR photodiodes for gesture and proximity sensing and an ambient light detector for ambient light sensing. They are located as shown the picture below.
Infrared ray is used for gesture and proximity sensing, so the sensor will work even if it’s complete darkness. Also using IR allows the sensor to detect not only palms or conductive objects like capacitive touch sensing does, it can also detect non-conductive objects as well.
We provided sample codes in Arduino format so that you can quickly use the sensor in most typical situations. But the sensor outputs raw data and settings can be done by users for more extreme situations.
HARDWARE OPEN SOURCE
All Hardware Design will be open source.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH GestureR?
There are unlimited ways to use GestureR.
- GestureR + Relay Shields = Touchless Power Switch?
- GestureR + IR Controller Shields = Smart Remote?
- GestureR + LED Panel Shields = Smart Lamp?
And even more! Now you can expand your imagination and achieve more with GestureR!
- Advantages of gaining prototype samples from supplier so that we can work on it in advance and manufacture GestureR as soon as possible
- Unlike traditional gesture sensors, that require a few external IR LEDs, GestureR does everything in ONE tiny package.
- No annoying datasheet reading is needed.
- No calibration is required.
- With so many advantages, it’s CHEAP.
What have we done before funding?
And we have done prototypes for all three models and their photos can be found above. They are all workable now.
- Tiny USB Torch can be plugged into any USB port.
- It consumes less than 500mA, which can normally be supported by USB port without external power supply.
- Luminous Flux: 150lm
- Size: 33 x 12mm
- It can work well with most key rings.
- It contains three LEDs which are in cold white color.
REWARDS FOR BACKERS
As a token of gratitude to the great suggestion from our backers, we will introduce the GestureR SHIELD ULTRA once we reach $15,000. It will be a free optional upgrade for each backer with a pledge that contains GestureR SHIELD. Eligible backers can choose freely either the original GestureR SHIELD or its upgraded version, GestureR SHIELD ULTRA.
GestureR SHIELD ULTRA ($15,000 Goal) - UNLOCKED!
- SPDT mechanical switch and the bus switches on GestureR SHIELD are upgraded and replaced by PCA9685, an I2C PWM LED Driver.
- Free up the I/O on Arduino host originally connected to the LEDs.
- Allow you to make use of the LEDs on GestureR SHIELD ULTRA as well as the I/O on Arduino host at the same time.
- Other features will remain the same as the original GestureR SHIELD.
GestureR LIT ($30,000 Goal)
At a goal of $30,000, we will offer GestureR LIT, a tiny USB Torch as gift, to each backer with a pledge $16 or more.
WHAT IS OUR PLAN?
We have done PCB design for all three models - Shield, Bread and Tiny.
We have made workable prototypes for all three models.
All functions have been tested and work in order.
We are now fine tuning the program routine for gesture sensing.
We are keeping good contact with supplier and aim to shorten the lead time of the rewards.
We will quickly order all the parts needed for all rewards. (Should be done in 2nd week of May)
We will contact our co-operative factory and quickly arrange manufacturing. (Should be done in 4th week of May)
After getting manufacturing done, we will instantly start to ship the rewards. (Should start ship in 1st week of June)
WHO ARE WE?
Jonathan Yip, WingPui
- Has worked in the R&D field for over 5 years.
- Possesses expertise in Software and Firmware Programming.
- Is equipped with experience in Sensor Applications.
- Has worked in R&D field for over 8 years.
- Possesses expertise in Hardware Design and Production Management.
- Has established friendly networks with factories in China.
- Possesses the ability to ensure production to be completed on schedule while keeping the quality up to standard.
Risks and challenges
Before building the prototypes, we have done several modifications on the PCB designs to make it final. They are now workable. We will keep testing the prototypes and make sure there are no errors before manufacturing.
For the program routine for gesture sensing, we will keep fine tuning before shipping out. This is a great challenge for us as we aim to make sure the sensing process is accurate and smooth.
There is always risk in manufacturing. We will maintain good contact with our long-term co-operating factories and make sure the manufacturing process is smooth.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Thank you for your support!
Please check the Update #5, "Add-on for Rewards", in "Updates" section for details.
Yes. GestureR communicates with the host through I2C interface. It can support any Arduino models and other hosts that support I2C interface.
Is gesture recognition done inside GestureR or need this to be done in software on a connected board?
Gesture recognition is done on a connected board while GestureR providing raw sensing data. This may give you the largest flexibility on modifying the gesture recognition routine to suit your application. However, we will provide examples on Arduino code basis so that you can you can use and learn the sensor quickly.
We are professional shield developer although we are not sensor IC developer. And we had the channel to get this brand new sensor from our supplier so that we can work on the hardware and software design in advance. The sensor in GestureR is not yet available at online electronic store yet.
We aim at bringing you the most advanced shield which cannot be find at the market yet.
The long oval hole can be used to fix Uno and GestureR SHIELD together by screws. You may find corresponding screw holes on Uno when plugging GestureR shield onto Uno.
Support this project
- (35 days)