"Some games in my life translate into stories that bring back great memories. Battlestations is one such game." -Tom Vasel
"Battlestations is the living manifestation of every spaceship I drew in my middle school notebook instead of listening to my teachers. Its modular design is tremendously influential among game designers, and it's great to see it roar back onto the scene." -Mike Selinker (Designer, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game)
We need space explorers!
Battlestations: You are simultaneously moving your minis around your starship boards (to activate battlestations or fight off boarding pirates)… while ALSO flying your ship mini around on the separate spacemap, dodging asteroids or launching missiles. Many missions can be played fully co-op or solo, but generally a moderator facilitates the game.
We need boots on the ground!
Dirtside: Each type of terrain has thematic and intuitive rules; hide in buildings or gain cover in trees! The enemies and other threats are all controlled by the game itself, but you can play with a moderator if you want to.
Gain experience and abilities between missions!
- Each mission has a defined goal, and the campaign has an ongoing narrative of mystery, action, and adventure.
- Each turn you each get to move + take an action - like piloting a ship or vehicle, or operating a weapon or medkit.
- Battlestations and Dirtside both use the same game system and are fully compatible, so characters and equipment migrate seamlessly. They are also both standalone.
More info about Battlestations can be found at the bottom of this page, or here.
Battlestations: DIRTSIDE is both a board game and a RPG. It can be played - without a game master - up to 8 players, or played solo. It can also be played as a tactical skirmish game (player vs. player). It is a science fiction adventure on the surface of alien worlds.
- Features dozens of aliens species, multiple factions vying for power, and cloning technology. You don't need Battlestations to play.
- Your character starts with a special ability, weapons, and an ability for your species. You can gain experience, rank up, purchase equipment between missions, and gain new abilities. The action is fully contained in each mission, but your character growth is unlimited.
- Simple rules, and a tutorial campaign to learn advanced rules one-at-a-time.
Battlestations: Dirtside Press Kit & Rulebook
"Tactical decisions every turn... I couldn't be more excited for this." -UndeadViking
"The opportunities are endless." -Unfiltered Gamer
"An incredibly robust system... Pew pew pew pew pew!" -One Stop Co-Op Shop
For more videos, scroll down to How to Play Videos.
- You can HALO out of a suborbital ship, hijack a jetbike, and overtake a heavy weapon firing from the roof of a tower. Or...
- Hitch a ride on the outside of a vehicle, and each time the driver makes a maneuver, you'll roll an athletics check to make sure you don’t fall off.
- Fire from your ship cannon, turning a building into a crater, or just crash the ship onto your target and hope your hull doesn't crack!
- Launch a satchel charge as a rocket launcher, or lob it as a mortar and re-target the drift based on your combat skill.
- Use a plasma projector to combo with your Shock Trooper ability to take out 4 grunts hiding behind trees, then see if the trees catch fire!
- Exists in the established Battlestations universe and is fully compatible with Battlestations: Second Edition and Battlestations: The Starships
- Hundreds of ability and equipment upgrades, with ongoing character advancement
- Multiple map boards - your crew can move around inside your starship, launching missiles and teleporter bombs at the surface, or parachute out and move around on the terrain boards on foot or in vehicles
- Ultra quick turn-actions so players get to take twice as many actions per mission as they would in similar games like Imperial Assault
- A true sense of camaraderie - nearly all missions are fully cooperative and require every player's unique skills and equipment
- Unique missions (puzzle solving, combat, natural disasters, etc), with all the threats controlled by the game itself!
- There's missions for 3 different game modes: Fully Co-Op, 1v1 Skirmish, or Moderated RPG.
The minis from Battlestations are fully compatible and the rules are in the Dirtside book. Those minis are available below, as add-ons, or available as part of the Super-Deluxe tier.
- Designed from the ground-up to be playable cooperatively (no Game Master), or solo.
- Some missions can be played as a tactical skirmish game (1v1).
- Also a fully-compatible extension of Battlestations, which means every mission can also be played as a moderated RPG (using a GM) if your group chooses.
Preview (Unfiltered Gamer)
Rob's Tabletop World Overview
Example of Solo Play
Group Play, Part 1 (parachuting, drift, line of sight)
UndeadViking - Dirtside Review and Analysis
UndeadViking - Battlestations Review and Analysis
Dice Tower Review of Battlestations Second Edition
Dirtside - Live Playthrough (via Facebook video)
Battlestations: Dirtside Teaching Videos
Click here to see an ever-expanding playlist of ALL the teaching videos for Dirtside. Or manually click each link below:
Introduction to Dirtside (2 min)
Personal Movement (4 min)
Personal Combat (4 min)
Sequence of Play (8 min)
Threats (8 min)
Mission Difficulty (1 min)
Scanning (4 min)
Vehicles (5 min)
Two obstacles to interstellar flight were solved in the 22nd Century: Hyperdrives to actually get us to other planets, and cloning technology to replace our bodies and brains from backups in the inevitable situation something goes wrong on the trip.
You and your friends are a crew of heroes in the far future, landing your starship on mysterious planets, with adventures such as raiding, rescuing, fighting, and escaping. In each mission, you’ll have an objective to cooperatively accomplish, with threats like motor gangs, natural disasters, or planetary bombardment. You can combine your actions to do fun things like ram a jetcar into a building (to turn the building into a crater), or try to put out a fire before it reaches your ship.
Your character starts with a special ability, weapons, and an ability for your species. You gain experience over time, rank up, and can purchase equipment between missions, plus gain new abilities. If you own Battlestations, your characters are already fully compatible with Dirtside, and you can transition seamlessly between Battlestations (missions in space) and Dirtside (missions on planets). What will YOU discover, Dirtside?
You’ve experienced adventures in space, drifting between planets… now you can explore them.
Dirtside is fully compatible with its companion game Battlestations: Second Edition. Characters can migrate freely between the two games, although distance and movement rules are different between the two games.
Do I need Battlestations?
No, DIRTSIDE is ready to go out of the box. You can play fully cooperatively against the game, or one player can act as the game master for a classic Battlestations RPG experience. Battlestations and Dirtside are cross-compatible, so you can play your characters and minis from one game in the other game!
You don’t need to know all the rules before starting a mission for either game, just the basics and the rules for your character and your equipment. You can look up anything else you need later.
Battlestations Second Edition is based on the same game system as Dirtside. Battlestations is a tabletop starship simulator – a multi-map board game that simultaneously features ship-action in space AND the events on board the ships involved in the conflicts. It is also a roleplaying game in which your characters grow throughout campaigns, picking up experience points, upgrades, and new abilities.
- You are simultaneously moving your minis around your starship boards (to activate battle stations or fight off boarding pirates)… AND flying your ship mini around on the separate space map, dodging asteroids and launching missiles.
- Ultra simple rules so anyone can join the game - simply move and take an action, or else take an action and then move.
- Ultra quick turn actions so players get to take twice as many actions per mission as similar games like Imperial Assault
- True sense of camaraderie as nearly all missions are fully cooperative
- Unique missions (puzzle solving, combat, navigation hazards, etc), including missions by guest designers
We've been building this incredible game nearly 20 years.
Now we're taking it to the next level - DIRTSIDE, a brand new standalone game that is fully cooperative, so you don't need a game master. Plus it can be played completely solo, or played 1 vs 1, as a miniatures skirmish game.
Packages will ship to most countries from within those countries.
Shipping will be totally weight-based, which means we can know very closely in advance how much the shipping will cost. See the chart below to estimate shipping.
Shipping will be under $20 USD for most backers
We are fulfilling from hubs in the UK (EU and Rest of the World), USA, CANADA, CHINA or HONG KONG (Asia), and AUSTRALIA/NZ.
- United Kingdom (UK and Rest of the World backers)
- USA (US backers)
- Canada (Canadian backers)
- Germany (EU backers)
- China (Asia Pacific backers)
- Australia (Australia and New Zealand backers)
WANT FREE SHIPPING?
Convince a local game store to buy a retail tier!
If you convince your local retail store to back for $200 (4 copies), then you can pre-order the game from them and get free local pickup from them. Brick-and-mortar retailers can order cartons of 4 copies - they pay only $15 shipping in the USA or the EU.
Landing Party (basic game) weighs just under 4.5 kg (10 lbs). Costs may go up or down slightly depending on stretch goals.
- USA: $14-$18
- CANADA: $19
- EUROPE EU: $15-$23 (United Kingdom, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden)
- Norway, Finland, Latvia: $29
- REST OF EUROPE: $25-$35
- LATIN AMERICA: $45 to most countries.
- ASIA: $26 to China and Hong Kong.
- REST OF ASIA: $30
- AUSTRALIA and NZ: $20-$26
- AFRICA: $60+ (message us)
- Rest of World: $30-$60 (message us)
Shipping is the worst part of this whole process. We are sorry. On Battlestations we undercharged shipping by tens of thousands of dollars and the dire financials slowed our ability to create new games. Dirtside is a heavy game and it costs money to ship, but it will be worth it.
June 27th - Main pledges charged. BackerKit will be open for 3-5 months to purchase Add-Ons. Shipping and Add-Ons will be charged 1-2 months prior to shipping.
I am ready to deliver a game for you to love for decades. Thanks for reading, and message us if you have any questions!
Risks and challenges
I have fulfilled many Kickstarters in the last ten years. Despite many minor problems in manufacturing and shipping, my process has improved each time. Battlestations had over 2000 backers and all were fulfilled successfully. I do not anticipate many delays other than the time to manufacture the minis and finish laying out the rulebook.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)