Stormhaven Techs is an inclusive, all-ages comic about a pair of technicians working in the magic department of a fantasy high-school.
Welcome to Stormhaven Adventuring Academy and Specialist 6th Form Centre - one of the top 10% of adventuring schools in the kingdom! Tabitha LeCloth is the newest member of staff, recently starting in the Magical Sciences department as a technician - her previous career as an adventurer having come to an abrupt end. Here she meets Fingus McKnackle, gnome and colleague, and they tackle the day to day challenges of keeping a magical school running - as well as having to face up to Tabitha's adventuring past.
Stormhaven Techs: Tales from the Prep-Room is a full-colour, A4, 100+ page graphic novel collecting the first three Stormhaven Techs books - originally self-published as individual A5 comics - as well as brand new short comics by me and some fabulous guest creators. The comics are all being re-mastered to look their best in this new format and the first story, Technical Difficulties, has been fully coloured for the first time - bringing it in line with the rest of the series.
Inspired by such things as Dungeons & Dragons, Discworld, British kids comics like the Dandy and Beano, and the lack of technical support staff in fantasy novels such as Harry Potter; Stormhaven Techs: Tales from the Prep-Room is an enjoyable, action-packed romp for everybody!
- In TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES we are introduced to Tabitha as she starts her new job at Stormhaven Adventuring Academy and we find out just what sort of trouble you can get into if you're not careful clearing up after a Potions class.
- LESSONS & DRAGONS sees our heroic technicians braving such dangers as: The Caretakers Room, The Stationary[sic] Cupboard and MRS. STORER! As well as introducing us to some characters from Tabitha's adventuring past.
- In SPORTS DAY OF THE DEAD the fate of the whole school lies in the hands of Tabitha and Fingus (with a little help from some kids and a certain ghost) when a lich and his undead minions show up FOR REVENGE!
"BUT WAIT!" I hear you cry, "Why would we want to spend our hard earned gold pieces on this fantastic collection of stories when we either own the original comics or know that we can read them for free over at stormhaven.gogorobotendo.com ?"
Well, dear potential kickstarter backer, I understand your concerns but fear not! Here are just some reasons why this collection is totally worth the paltry sum being charged:
- A4-sized! No longer will you have to squint to make out all of the pointless details hidden in the background of the panels - the book will be 70% larger than in the past!
- Full-colour! Due to time and money constraints I was never able to give the first book, Technical Difficulties the lovingly coloured artwork it deserved - but NO MORE! I have painstakingly gone back over my old files and given it a lovely new lease of life and this book will be the only place it can be seen in its newly coloured glory!
- Brand-new stories! Currently there are two all-new Stormhaven Techs tales being worked on by me for this book, as well as a new script by partner in crime Jon Lock which I will be providing the artwork for and a complete tale written and drawn by the incredibly talented Ben Brown.
- Guest Artists! Excitingly I have managed to gather together some of my favourite artists to provide some amazing full-page pin up artwork for the back of the book. More details will be revealed as the campaign progresses so stay tuned!
Why, you're right, I have yet to introduce myself. How very unmannerly of me. I do apologise.
My name is Ben Haith-Bedford. I've been drawing my whole life, I was a Science Technician for about 14 years and I started self-publishing comics back in late 2015. As well as Stormhaven Techs books I have made EYUP: A Yorkshire Phrasebook for the Intergalactic Visitor, collaborated on a double sided horror comic with Ben Brown called Jump Scare Presents and draw the all-ages webcomic Zoolog written by Jon Lock.
You can find me on social media @gogorobotendo
Risks and challenges
Stormhaven Techs: Tales from the Prep-Room is raring to go. All of the pages from books 1-3 have been collated and re-formatted and the new content is underway and on schedule.
The biggest risks the project faces are:
1. Unforeseen delays or problems with printing - this will be minimised by the fact that I am working closely with a trusted printer who I have used in the past.
2. Missed deadlines by guest artists - Again, I am working with artists I know and trust and so feel confident that this will not be an issue.
3. Inexperience - This is my first Kickstarter project and so I am expecting the unexpected in terms of challenges, however it will be my 6th printed book and I have done copious amounts of research in advance. I also have friends and mentors on hand who have been through this process numerous times and are willing to help out with any advice I may need. I have every confidence that this project will be managed and completed on time.
- (27 days)