"20 months ago we launched our Kickstarter from the garage here in LA. Since then we’ve had the incredible opportunity to bring a product from prototype to market. Thanks to our backers, many partners, investors and hardworking employees for everything they’ve done to make this possible! Today, we’re excited to finally say we’re shipping.
On Friday March 10th, our first 150 units were packed from our CM in Santa Ana, delivered to our warehouse in Los Angeles and shipped out to backers. This test shipment was successfully completed, we have 800 units through the testing phase, and they are shipping end of this week early next week. The remaining 2500 units have begun production in Santa Ana as of March 13th, with testing next week and shipment between 3 and 4 weeks from start date.
These first units are being shipped on v1.0.0 software and corresponding apps available in the Google Play and Apple App stores. As of Monday, we have a new software release, version 1.0.2, with some minor upgrades. We recommend you download the latest app from the app store and keep your firmware updated using the settings page in-app.
It is the first step in a new journey of iterating aggressively and pushing out new features to make the creative process as smooth as possible. We are also kicking off our educate platform, available at help.gnarbox.com, where you can find deep dives on different features, elements of and inspiration for the tools and features of GNARBOX; open up live chat with our team; detailed software release notes; guides to photo and video editing; and the opportunity to leave feedback on articles to help us understand bugs, issues and feature wishes in the future.
In the update below we’ve provided detailed information on ship schedule, our production status, and our feature roadmap.
Thank you for your patience and unwavering support, we look forward to hearing your feedback!”
Last week the first round of 150 units were shipped out. Many of these were to backers who are friends, family, and investors to help us validate the supply chain ultimately insuring we had our ducks in a row. Then we went straight into our backer list (~72 of you received notifications already).
This week, the second build (820) is in the final stage of production. Soon it will be shipping from our CM to our warehouse and out to backers. Expect to begin receiving shipping notifications starting Monday March 20th and rolling through Thursday March 23rd. These are all remaining super early bird, early bird and then general backers (US/CAN/EU first).
The final build (2500) for fulfilling Kickstarter backers, Crowdox orders and Shopify Pre-orders has been kicked off and is at the board level assembly. Next week it will be in testing, mechanical assembly the week after, and then begin shipping the week of April 3rd.
Your shipping notifications are being sent via Aftership from email@example.com. Aftership automatically sends e-mails for when your package is:
- Info Received - Carrier has received request from shipper and is about to pick up the shipment.
- In transit - Carrier has accepted or picked up shipment from shipper. The shipment is on the way.
- Out for Delivery - Carrier is about to deliver the shipment , or it is ready to pickup.
Delivered - The shipment was delivered successfully.
- Failed Attempt - Carrier attempted to deliver but failed, and usually leaves a notice and will try to deliver again.
- Exception - Custom hold, undelivered, returned shipment to sender or any shipping exceptions.
Our warehouse is in Los Angeles so allow 1-5 days for delivery (1 day for California and 5 days for East Coast) and 5-10 days for international shipments.
Aftership tracking example of a recent delivery.
GNARBOX is designed, assembled and warehoused entirely in Southern California. This gives us an incredible amount of control and insight into our production, manufacturing and quality control procedures without the burden of overseas travel. It also means shorter iteration cycles on problems and turn times to build from part inventory through to final product and shipping.
The last eight weeks were spent getting our process nailed down so failures were <1% at end of line. It took a number of iterations and rebuilds of the test procedure, but we got it where we want and the batch of 820 has successfully been built and tested with <1% failure completely managed by our CM and only final troubleshooting input from us (about 8hrs of our work). We’re happy with our progress and our ultimate CM selection (this was our 3rd contract manufacturer since Kickstarter). We’re fully rocking and rolling.
A bit of insight into the production flow and timelines so many of you can gauge when that 3rd shipment goes out.
NEW: GNARBOX Educate & Support
GNARBOX has implemented a support tool called Intercom that provides live chat with team members on our website and a detailed platform for publishing tutorials, articles and guides on help.gnarbox.com. Head there now and start to check it out. We will be continuing to put together comprehensive deep dives on each of the topics you see up there today and more as we start fielding more frequently asked questions and troubleshoot problems. It is in its infancy but we’re excited to have hired a new team member two weeks ago to help us handle the expected influx of support needs and more deeply communicate with the community. We are looking forward to having Kat support and grow our community of users. You can
- Search for topics, keywords, troubleshoots and FAQs
- Review guidelines for the product
- Live chat with team members (all on west coast so provide an e-mail if you'd like a reply during after hours)
- Learn more about your cameras and GNARBOXs
- Discover the inspiration behind GNARBOX features
- Dive into each software release notes
Software Release 1.0.0 & 1.0.2
- Android app is now available
- USB Mass Storage mode now allows users to plug their GNARBOX into a computer as a hard drive
- Safely eject drives and check for outstanding tasks with the new eject button on the devices menu
- Improved switching between USB 3.0 host and device mode
- Easily post to your Instagram Story with new crop option for photos
- Video system upgrade allows complete playback and editing of files with raw audio
- Optimized cache management to allow fast performance when GNARBOX storage is full without losing files
- Smart naming of exports for easy version tracking
- Use the icon to access tutorial videos for each screen
- Photo edit controls now closely follow Lightroom scales
- Improved RAW photo preview speeds and editing experience
- Made storage availability tracking more robust on Camera Roll exports
- Added check for firmware update notifications and buttons in settings menu
- Find songs easily when choosing music for a highlight reel with a new search feature
- Graceful handling of multiple different files with the same name
- Repaired various issues with frame grab performance and navigation
- Lessened touch sensitivity of list views so accidental presses are less likely while scrolling
- Fixed a problem that caused Sony portrait photos to warp or shrink
- Patched intermittent lock-ups caused by transcoder crashes
- Corrected an alignment issue that caused task spinner to be displaced on Connected Devices screen
- Modified top navbar to avoid tap lockouts that periodically occurred on startup of app
- Easier tracking of software updates with new popup notifications
- Users can navigate the app more fluidly with improved touch responsiveness
- Learn about your GNARBOX and contact support easily with new help options in the settings page
- Improved tutorial overlay popups on video trim and highlight reel screens
- Resolved problems with Settings page that caused intermittent issues switching between Mass Storage and Normal Mode
- Fixed placement of Frame Grab button on 4:3 videos
- Addressed issue that caused demo highlight reel to export without sound
Our roadmap is designed to accommodate the requests of our backers in consideration of our thoughts about the direction of the product. Our software team is based in Agile methodologies, so we try to quickly iterate and improve our user experience consistently. Releases 1.0.2 and 1.0.0 reflect our efforts to address all core functionality required by the user experience, while Releases 1.0.6-1.1.0 will extend features to more advanced levels.
Release 1.0.6 Targets
- iPhone Integration – plug in your iPhone to USB3.0 to backup media and incorporate Photos, Videos, and iTunes tracks directly into projects
- Video cropping – directly crop videos into your desired aspect ratio for Instagram and Instagram stories.
- Highlight Reel Aspect Ratio Controls – Export highlight reels in 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios to accommodate the needs of your project
- Android Video Player Upgrade –Addresses bugs that cause timecode to differ between the player and full resolution copy.
- Metadata Tagging – View and update the metadata on photo & video files
- Media Server Task Manager Upgrade – Addresses intermittent freezing of tasks, particularly copy tasks - Transcoder Low Framerate Support – Incorporates 24fps videos into the highlight reel
Release 1.0.8 & 1.1.0 Targets
- Video Color Correction – All photo tools extended to video
- Slow Motion/Fast Motion –Alter framerate of videos individually and in highlight reel
- RAW Photo editor upgrade - Tuning RAW extraction, file support, and color correction tools
- Highlight reel clip adjust –Precision trim clips to music track on highlight reel -
- Hard Drive Read Support – edit workflow extended to large hard drives which are currently write-only
- Dropbox/Google Drive Sync - Backup files from your GNARBOX directly to Dropbox or Google Drive
What's in Kickstarter shipped units?
Kickstarter features making it into v1.0.0:
- 4GB/min backup speeds – SD card and USB device support at backup speeds of greater than 4 GB/min
- 4K video support – playback and editing for significant majority of h.264 videos
- RAW Photo Editing – the ability to extract data from your RAW photos, color correct and export as a full resolution JPG.
- Highlight Reel – Stitching and music syncing for video projects
- Organization & Favorites – Automatic organization by date & time into collections/folders, ability to tag favorites
- Export Options – Camera roll support for iPhones and Android devices, export to hard drives over USB3.0, Export to computers
- Hard Drive Support –Export enabled for all NTFS (Windows) and HFS+ (Mac) drives
Kickstarter features NOT in v1.0.0:
- Advanced Video Controls – Cropping, color correction, slow motion
Advanced Photo Control –LUTs, Filters, Pre-set Filters, batch editing, Lightroom sync
Cloud Syncing – Connect box to WiFi for backup to Dropbox/Drive
Social Media Direct Upload – GNARBOX will not directly upload to social accounts, but can still be accessed via your Camera Roll.
- Timelapse – No automated support for timelapses
Metadata Tagging – View and update metadata on photo/video files
Hard Drive Support – Exports to FAT32 and exFAT drives are not yet fully functional
- IP67 Rating -while we did make it super rugged and are using modern assembly technology to get a water tight seal, we never paid for a test laboratory to provide us an IP67 rating. Therefore, we do not recommend submerging it in water- merely deeming it 'Water Resistant'.
As promised now that we’ve begun shipping we’ll be going live to do a product review and live Q&A. Join us on March 21st @ 10AM PST for a Facebook Live from the GNARBOX office. We’ll be covering:
- Latest on Shipping & Production
- Product features that made it into version 1.0.0 release and the inspiration behind them
- Product features that didn’t make it into and why
- Product features that are coming on the roadmap
- Full Demo
Download the Apple App here: https://itunes.apple.com/sc/app/gnarbox/id1170313127?mt=8
Download the Android App here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gnarbox.gnarbox
To everyone who stuck by us and helped bring this product to life - THANK YOU!