We're back on Kickstarter with another product designed to make the creative process easier!
Since shipping GNARBOX 1.0, we’ve engaged with our community and interviewed countless photographers and videographers to better understand their workflows.
Today, we’re extremely excited to share the new, more professional GNARBOX experience.
What is it?
GNARBOX 2.0 SSD is a rugged backup device for content creators who prefer to travel without a laptop. Unlike other portable hard drives, we have assembled an ecosystem of mobile applications that serve the professional workflow from the field to the studio.
With single-step backup, dedicated workspaces for photographers and videographers, and integrated access to professional editing software, GNARBOX will save you time and make you a more reliable creator.
GNARBOX 2.0 SSD comes equipped with a multifunctional on-box display and buttons that allow you to start file transfers with a single touch.
- One-Touch Backup: Quickly perform backups without your phone or tablet in one touch using the on-board OLED screen and buttons.
- Preset Folder Trees: Access your preset folder trees for organized backups.
- Checksum Verification: Receive a checksum verification on transfers to give you confirmation on every byte.
- 75MB/s to 450MB/s Transfers: Backup with speeds up to 75MB/s using the SD Card slot or 450MB/s via USB-C.
GNARBOX's four new mobile applications offer dedicated workspaces to complete essential workflow steps in the field. Integrations with industry-leading editors bridge you to the studio, reducing time spent working at your computer:
- Safekeep: The most complete field backup experience, with tailored file/folder organization and sleek tools to manage file transfers across your devices.
- Selects: Provides super-fast RAW image preview and easy-to-use tools to mark your selects, manage metadata, and save time preparing your shots for edit.
- Sequence: Has the tools you need to review footage, start rough cuts in the field, and seamlessly transition your video project to the studio.
- Showcase: Lets you view your photos and videos in high resolution on any HDMI-enabled screen.
- Backup to Drives: Seamlessly move files across cards, your GNARBOX, hard drives and RAIDs in an easy-to-use interface.
- Organize Files and Folders: Organize and rename your files and folders for streamlined navigation.
- Dropbox Sync: Automatically sync folders to the Dropbox cloud when you reach WiFi.
- Fast RAW Preview: Quickly preview RAW images while still in the field to make sure you got the shot.
- Lightweight Color Correction: Simple tools to review with color.
- 5-Star Rating: Cull images with a 5-star rating to designate for Lightroom organization.
- Review & Render Footage: Review high resolution footage and render into editing formats such as ProRes.
- Timeline & Bins: Trim clips, organize shots into bins, and piece together a rough-cut.
- XML Project Export: Export any sequence created in the field to Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.
- HDMI Connect: View your photos or videos on any monitor or television using the microHDMI port.
- Navigate Files: Easily navigate the files stored on your GNARBOX using thumbnail collections.
- Big Screen Playback: Playback high resolution clips in real-time.
- IP67-Certified: Protected from dust and capable of withstanding water immersion between 15 cm and 1 meter for 30 minutes.
- High Performance: Packed with the power of a laptop – including an Intel processor, NVMe SSD, 802.11ac WiFi, SD card slot, and two USB-C ports.
- Flexible Power Management: Replaceable batteries make it easy to plan for your shoot or trip.
- (01:34) Demo 1: Hardware User Experience
- (06:35) Demo 2: File Transfer Test
- (13:03) Demo 3: H.264 Preview Transcode Test
- (18:41) Demo 4: ProRes Render Test
- (22:51) Demo 5: RAW image Culling Test
Back us today! Every reward includes an extra battery ($50 value).
GNARBOX 2.0 SSD has been in development for over 12 months. We're currently entering the Alpha assembly phase and have a clear path to launching the 2.0 software ecosystem in December of 2018. Updates will be posted before campaign closes to deep dive on hardware and software roadmaps.
GNARBOX would not be here today if it weren't for the 3,000 Kickstarter backers who supported us in 2015. We've since grown to a community of 10,000+ and have found GNARBOX in the camera bags of some of the world's best creators.
GNARBOX is a creative technology company based in Los Angeles and backed by an active community of photographers and videographers. Now 20 strong at HQ, we're building solutions to make the creative process easier for anyone with a camera!
We look forward to you joining our community of creators!
We've partnered with some incredible teams since our last Kickstarter and wouldn't be here without them. Check them out:
- ParPro: The manufacturer who we are actively developing boards with.
- Baylibre: The embedded software group supporting us in the development of our Linux OS.
- SpannerPD: The product design team behind GNARBOX 2.0.
- STEL Design: The industrial design team behind GNARBOX 2.0.
- Aavid: The mechanical engineering team that led our thermal design.
RF2B: The team responsible for designing and optimizing our WiFi antennas.
- Hardware Club: An incredible network and organization of Hardware startups around the world who have helped connect us with some of our best employees, partners and suppliers.
- Rush Order Fulfillment: Our new fulfillment center and logistics partner based in Gilroy, CA with a ton of Kickstarter fulfillment experience!
- Wondercamp: The team behind this beautiful video!
At GNARBOX, we believe in listening to and sharing with our customers. We also believe that no product experience is complete without direct, hands-on support.
GNARBOX.com features a live chat service powered by Intercom to provide dedicated support straight from our office in California. We love hearing your feedback so come chat!
All pledges come with a 1-year manufacturers warranty for defects when purchased on Kickstarter or an authorized reseller.
We need your help to spread the word about GNARBOX 2.0; the success of this campaign will determine the future of the rugged backup device market. Every post, share, and pledge counts!
This project is promoted by Jellop, the ad tech power behind the best Kickstarters with 475+ successful Kickstarter projects with over $225MM raised between them.
Risks and challenges
If you were a part of the Kickstarter for GNARBOX 1.0, you know that we encountered significant delays in the design and manufacturing process. The longest delay was a result of our change in the box’s CPU. Over the last 9 months, we’ve vetted possible CPU’s and architectures, ultimately selecting one that meets all of our requirements. We have a clear path to market after working with Intel over the past 3 years, and expect no delays. There is always the potential for unexpected delays to occur since we have a complex product to build and a similarly complex supply chain to manage for a 100+ unique part Bill of Materials (BOM).
Mechanical Overmold Complexity
GNARBOX 2.0 SSD is a complex enclosure with a triple-shot tool of Metal, PCB-ABS and TPE Overmold designed to keep it rugged, compact and protect users from heat. With that complex design and the tooling process process comes the risk of variability. We are moving into hard tooling and molding in July after vetting numerous suppliers. At this point, we will be able to provide a more detailed report on the mass production status of the mechanical assembly.
Shipping & Logistics
Shipping products domestically and internationally for the first time with GNARBOX 1.0 taught us a lot about how to manage a Third Party Logistics (3PL) provider. We’ve been working with a new 3PL for 8 months on GNARBOX 1.0. They have more experience in consumer electronics, better customer service, and a track record of shipping to Kickstarter Backers.
Testing & Certification
Failures to meet rigid certification specs on the test bench can cause significant delays if they require Layout or Schematic changes. We are hedging against this risk by engaging the certification houses early and doing rigorous rounds of pre-certification testing to catch problems earlier in the process.
- (60 days)