The GMOD Client: A mod management platform that "Just Works" for all your favorite games. Simple, Intuitive and Robust.
The GMOD Client: A mod management platform that "Just Works" for all your favorite games. Simple, Intuitive and Robust.
We don't make games and we don't make mods.
We make the technology that enables you to use mods with your games Faster, Safer and Easier than ever before!
Gmod is a platform designed to help you enable and disable mods without the headaches. No more unzipping, directory diving, copy-paste-overwrite, or game reinstalls. We've been pounding the code for more than two years constructing a system that will support all mod types for all games - and we're almost complete!
Several months ago we launched a closed beta with support for:
The beta was successful and we're ready add support for more games! With your help we can add support for the next batch including:
and with your help, many more...
What it means to "Support" a game
The website is designed to make finding mods, adding them to your library, and discovering new content easy and straight forward. We also plan to extend these exploration functions to the client in a later release.
- The Library Function: Automatically syncs mods you've added with your client, requiring no download or install.
- Mod News, for You: You can follow reviews of games, mods, mod developers, or the comments of your friends easily.
- Improved Browsing Controls: You can find mods easier. Filter by game, category, rating, download count, your own personal rating or try out featured content.
- A Tangible Workstation: Instead of mods being a link on a forum, our approach is to bring them to the forefront with a easily navigable display.
- Resources to Make Your Own: We've included tools to help those interested in making mods find the resources they need to try their hand at the craft.
The client is designed as a holistic solution to modding. After two years of development, we've created a client that allows you to handle mods from any source, regardless of how you acquired your game. Mods you've added to your library on the website automatically sync and load to your client. Mods from others sites are also easy to use; just drop them in and we'll take care of the rest!
It's your tool to mod your game as you want.
- A Single Touch: Enable and disable mods with one click. Avoid having to track down where you move files with this easy solution.
- Use Mods from Anywhere: Drag and drop any amount of mods, from any source, into the client. The loading is done automatically.
- Easily Control Your Mods: The files are backed up automatically so when you disable mods they are replaced with the original, unmodded files. No more re-installing your game to change the mods you're using. Quickly and easily get the perfect mix of what you're interested in.
This is our passion. As backers it's your voice that molds where we go. We understand that mod development is a labor of love for developers. They work hard to give everyone a better (or new) experience.
It's time that someone gives back.
- Support for Modders: A percentage of all subscription proceeds (once it goes live) will be directly distributed back to mod developers. We know that developers do what they do for the love of creation, sharing with the community isn't about the $$$, but great innovation should be supported. We're asking for your help to develop the Gmod platform and, as a result, everyone at Olympus Games believes that that support should be given in turn.
- Gshft: Helping people find innovative content includes a personal approach. Our team is dedicated to finding the best content people have uploaded and highlighting that with our Gshft review.
- Mod Showcase: Sometimes a mod review only scratches the surface. Our team also works to showcase a mod, or mods, during our livestream. There you can ask questions, suggest new mods to try out, or even ask for the secrets of life. We're doctors...you can trust us.
Because mods make great games better. They provide an avenue for aspiring game developers to hone their craft. They represent the creative input of programmers, artists, and the downright ingenious. In fact, many games we enjoy today have their origin as mods of games we loved before.
Yet there exists very specific reasons why so much great content isn't fully realized.
- Mods are frequently hard to find, buried in forums or listed as a link on busy pages.
- They are frequently hard to install, requiring a great deal of time spent on reading through readme instructions and navigating file directories
- They are difficult to share. Have you ever tried walking someone through a mod install?
Supporting a platform that intelligently addresses these issues expands the potential audience and unshackles creative mod developers. Allowing users to get access quickly and easily means that even more innovation can be experienced by a greater number of people. It means mod developers to get more of the recognition they deserve and that the products they create won't be missed.
Which is why we've taken this project to kickstarter. Supporting Gmod keeps us independent and focused on supporting the modding community; developers and users alike.
If you've never modded before, or haven't seen just how far they can go, we've compiled the following videos to showcase a few of the exciting things that are being done.
Here at Olympus Games, we’re gamers, modders, and developers. We don’t create games; instead, we work to make games better. We collaborate with game studios (many of whom directly advise the platform), mod developers, and the community to make mods easy to find, play, and share.
Four bachelors in game development and simulation, 3,000 man hours, and lifetimes of gameplay experience has brought to life the Gmod client. Our development team has spent years working on the algorithms needed to intuitively handle the robust processes and automation that our client offers.
The art team has diverse backgrounds spanning from the Seattle Art Institute to the Art Institute of Chicago. Having worked on everything from own graphic novels to video production, they bring a unique variety of perceptions and styles together. When asked to display their skillset, they drew a perfect circle…with an etch a sketch.
COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT TEAM
Our community managers get modders because they are modders. They have been developing and using mods for nearly a decade, so when they say they get mods they mean it. When not supporting the Gmod community or live-streaming on our Twitch channel they are thinking up new combinations of mods to try.
Lee Powers, CTO
Lee was a founder of Adept software, and has worked on projects for companies such as MTV, CNN, Disney, and Nickelodeon. In addition to creating advanced web architecture and rich data systems, Lee spawned an intelligent web based life-form he calls “Hal.”
Grant Riddell, Operations Manager
Before joining the team at Olympus Games, Grant spent the last twelve years as an Operations Manager for everything from real estate to software development. His true passion is MMO’s, where he’s spent over nine years running online game communities. He also plays a mean kazoo.
Skylar Kreisher, CEO
Prior to Olympus Games, Skylar was VP of Game Services for Solid State Networks, where he introduced the “Direct” content delivery and patching middleware to market. Direct has since been used to deliver and update games for Microsoft, EA, Bigpoint, Riot Games, BioWare and is being featured in Bethesda’s new MMO, ElderScrolls Online. He got his start in the game industry as a lowly compatibility tester on the Xbox in 2002. Skylar is a science nerd and spends his free time memorizing π.
- The Breath of Life: The features up to now are in beta testing, however we need your help to expand on those and bring them live.
- Minecraft Support: Allows us to finish the last touches and bring all the Gmod features to Minecraft.
- More Games Supported: Allows us to dive into the next batch of games we'd like to support.
- New Gmod Feature, Playlists: Allows us to bring the playlist function live. Create, enable, and share mod playlists with a single button. Ever get the question, 'What mods are you using?' Want to help your friends setup their Minecraft mods to run with your server? Want to make sure everyone in your guild is using the most up-to-date mods? This is for you!
To Be Announced.
There are about as many ways of displaying tier rewards as there are tier rewards, and in this section we'll provide them all. In short, they're awesome...the rewards that is...and if you're ever unsure of what rewards go where please ask us! We're more than willing to articulate these in every form possible...including smoke signals. Do ask, I've got my blanket and fire ready.
What's What in Reward Land
- Shout Out
- Beta Access:
- Backer Icon:
- Premium Subscription for a Year:
- Premium Subscription for Life:
- Founder Icon and Title:
- Play against Team:
- Interview at PAX:
- Rare Swag Bag:
- USB Drive:
- Listed in Credits:
- Pick a mod for Gshft:
- Legendary Swag Bag:
- Artist Avatar:
- Join team on showcase:
- Launch Party Invitation:
- Launch Party VIP:
- PAX Party:
Risks and challenges
Every project faces challenges, from staffing to technical difficulties, and overcoming them is part of the process. We have dedicated ourselves to taking a hard look at what problems we face and (even more importantly) how we will address them. As such, we've found that the risks can be broken down into two hurdles; technical and funding challenges.
Hurdle One: The potential for increasing technical challenges.
The landscape of video games is changing and a greater number of publishers are seeing the benefits of providing support for community created content. With an every growing population, there comes the growing pains of many games addressing this frontier in different ways. This means that the approach we use for game 'X' won't work for game 'Y'.
This situation has manifested itself in the form of a variety of clients, that address a single approach for a single game, or a middle ware, such as steam, that requires the game be tied to it's distribution. All of these are attempts to address the technical challenges in the modding world by providing a less focused upon second option to their primary service, be it game sales or forum hosting.
Gmod is different because our client is our primary focus. We have spent two years, and thousands of man hours, to create a technical solution that allows for a robust, versatile modular system that can address every new game in a way that is specific to it's needs, while still maintaining the same excellence that our users deserve.
In fact, the features listed in the section "up to now" are functional on the beta. We work actively with publishers and mod developers to make sure that our platform meets the standard we've set for ourselves; which means it works when you use it. (Odd concept, I know) That includes relying heavily on the wisdom of our advisory team, all of whom have countless titles under their collective belts. We've a very clear road-map on how to get all of these features into Gmod, but it needs your help...because of hurdle two.
Hurdle Two: Funding.
We have very carefully appraised every feature and what it will take to make this platform a reality. It's amazingly important that we, as a company, remain free to provide support for every game we can. This means that we must remain independent from the big studios while maintaining the awesome friendships and relationships we have with them.
So in this spirit, we have evaluated the potential costs of the initial goal and the tremendous stretch goals we have planned. We've placed them at the lowest price point while still keeping a small reserve buffer between them so that each can be fully accomplished. We have taken great care to run our road-map through a variety of scenarios with our team, our advisers, and our friends at other studios to make sure that what you're backing gets to you. And, it is with your help, that these things will become a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)