Action Research and awareness of pedagogical innovation is a growing aspect of teacher development and problem solving. Professional learning communities (PLCs) are increasingly used to investigate, plan and evaluate in school interventions. The primary reason for teachers engaging in research is to improve and/or refine our actions and ultimately the outcomes for our learners.
Teachers who engage in research inevitably find it to be rewarding and empowering. Rewarding as the process of evidence gathering and intervention planning relates directly to their practice and empowering as the consequences of the research are intimately linked to their own personal circumstances.
However, once research is completed, outcomes evaluated and reports written, these often transformative experiences are constrained within the institution / classroom that commissioned them.
JAER - the story so far...
- We've got our editor - Glen Gilchrist (teacher, subject leader and now local authority education adviser)
Glen will be responsible for the editing and journal preparation
- We're recruiting a team of educational colleagues to review submitted articles. The team will be in place by February 2015, ready to assemble to the first issue. DONE
- We've sourced print on demand journal publishing and have investigated lead times / postage rates. DONE
- In parallel to the Kickstarter campaign, a "call for papers" will be placed with colleagues and on social media ONGOING
- We're actively developing the web site (www.jaer.org.uk active) and will be consulting with teacher colleagues
- Using a combination of Word and Adobe InDesign we've developed a house style that's "good to go" once we have articles submitted ONGOING
What's coming up?
Once launched on Kickstarter, the focus will be on developing the website and securing articles / case studies for the launch issue.
What's the money for?
Risks and challenges
We've done our background research and are confident that we can:
* Layout the journal (combination of Word and InDesign)
* Review / edit submitted articles
* Produce camera ready PDFs for printing
* Print on demand and dispatch the journal
We are confident that we can obtain the quality and frequency of submissions to make this journal a thriving source of action research evidence for both methodology and outcomes.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)