About this project
SHAZAM*** We did it! Thank you so much.
Thank you for helping us reach $30,000 with 1 day to spare. Your passion and commitment to this story has bolstered our resolve.
We still have some time left on the clock and we'd like to see if we can cover more of our animation costs. We want to do the animation right. As an added bonus, if we reach $35,000 we will send our Robin Plemmons greeting cards to all our backers.
If we reach our $30,000 goal, we will give everyone donating at the $50 level and above a set of 5 greeting cards designed by artist Robin Plemmons featuring sayings from our twitter campaign. Just to say thank you!
Just announced... Everyone who donates $10 or more will be invited to an on-line, private screening of the film (once it's released) which will include a forum to discuss the movie.
Everyone donating at the $35 level and above will receive a 4x6 postcard of a photo reprint of your choosing: Yvonne Strahovski, Vik Sahay & Scott Krinsky or Tranquility. (See details below)
What’s the movie about?
Jesus, Don’t Let Me Die Before I’ve Had Sex will be a feature-length documentary examining the sexual teachings of the Evangelical Church and exploring the undercurrent of idealism that leaves many people feeling frustrated and confused. Told in an honest and fair fashion, the movie will paint a picture of what is taught explicitly and implicitly by showing how churchgoers react to those teachings through anecdotes of first kisses, chastity rallies and secret obsessions. Along side these stories will be interviews of pastors reflecting on their own teachings, as well historians and sociologists diagramming the evolution of sexual teaching in the Church. Intercut throughout will be poignant stop-motion animation bringing to life the pain, joy, triumph and sorrow of our interviewees.
Who Do We Want To Interview?
We are in talks with prominent evangelical leaders, gay rights activists, pro-abstinence advocates, Christians turned Atheists, leaders of major seminaries, influential Christians authors, former Christian musicians, Yale historians, University of Michigan sociologists, both promiscuous and celibate Christians, sex therapists... all sharing their views of what is going on in our society, the historical events and philosophical shifts that led us here, and how we can find a way forward.
What Will We Use The Money For?
Most of the experts that we want to film are not in Los Angeles. That means we either have to fly them out or we travel to them. There are number of post-production costs, including hard-drive storage for 75+ hours of HD footage, transcription services, music and historical licensing fees. Finally, all the costs to build and animate 30 minutes of stop-motion animation (see below fore more details.)
What are people saying about this project?
"…the subject matter seems to be handled with compassion and nuance in a time where most discussions of sex and morality are incredibly polarized and lack both candor and humanity.” (Meaghan, of Kickstarter)
"This is the movie I wish I had watched when I was in my early teens. It's the film I wish existed when I talked to my friends struggling with the issue in high school and college. And it's the film I hope will effect generations of Christians in future decades.” (Patrick, featured in the film)
"I have struggled with shame and insecurity in my sexuality, and my secret longings to seduce and to be wanted. That’s not what a good Christian girl is supposed to think about…” (Rachel, via The American Jesus blog)
“I initially thought I was going to wait until marriage… but after [having sex] in my early 20's I found myself having to come to terms with how I feel about myself, if this means I should continue to wait and whether I ‘ruined everything’ so to speak.” (Mr. M, via email)
“Abstaining was tough during my teens, but it became torture throughout my twenties. Now that I'm in my thirties and most of my ‘True Love Waits’ peers are celebrating ten or more years of sex and marriage… I'm left feeling like I was entirely ripped off.” (Kristine, via email)
"I spent hours and hours in prayer, crying, asking God to take that cup from me. I promised God all sorts of things if he’d help me stay pure. I’ve talked with lots of other guys, and frankly it’s difficult to find men who [haven’t] struggled with sex.” (XUY, via The American Jesus blog)
We believe in the maxim: "show, don’t tell." The best way for us to convey the emotion of many of the stories is to illustrate what is going on in the head of the interviewee. Plus, we think it will be fun.
Will you show that [a certain lifestyle] is wrong?
We are not interested in pushing dogma or theological interpretations. We just want to have an open and honest conversation about some of those difficult to discuss topics. In the process, we hope to frame what is going on in the church and our society. However, we won’t mock the church; nor will we shy away from telling some unflattering stories.
His credits include Chuck (NBC), The OC (Fox), Human Target (Fox), and various music videos/short films.
He has an extensive background managing productions (including Emmy-award winning TV shows) for networks such as Bravo, Lifetime, E!, and the History Channel.
Brittany is a sociologist from the University of Chicago, whose area of expertise is how young evangelicals form their sexual identity.
Brent has worked on some great shows and commercials: Yo Gabba Gabba! and Robot Chicken—just to name a few.
Tell me about these incentives.
Each pledge level comes with a different, shall we say “bonus.” Here are some of the cool ones we just added:
- $5, a hearty thank you for partnering with us on this journey. We will make a toast in your honor the day this campaign ends—and send you a video link of said toast.
- $35, a 4x6 postcard with photo reprint of your choosing: Yvonne Strahovski, Vik Sahay & Scott Krinsky or Tranquility. We'll include a personal, hand-written note from us, the filmmakers + all the $25 level gifts.
- $100, we just confirmed that our limited edition poster will be designed by Greg King, whose artwork was featured in the Twilight movies + all the $50 level gifts.
- $110 An 8x10 standard print of Matt's behind-the-scenes photo of Scott Krinsky and Vik Sahay, signed by both Vik and Scott (not framed) + all the $100 level gifts.
$110 An 8x10 standard print of Matt's behind-the-scenes photo of Yvonne Strahovski, signed Yvonne (not framed) + all the $100 level gifts.
•$275, a high-quality, framed 16x20 print of “Tranquility,” Matt Barber’s original photograph, signed with a personal note + all the $250 level gifts.
•$400, a high-quality, framed 16x20 print of Matt Barber’s behind-the-scenes photo of Scott Krinsky and Vik Sahay (aka Jeffster from the beloved TV show Chuck), signed by both Vik and Scott + all the $250 level gifts.
- $400, a high-quality, framed 16x20 print of Matt Barber’s behind-the-scenes photo of Yvonne Strahovski (who played Sarah on the TV show Chuck), signed by Yvonne + all the $250 level gifts.
- $500, come hob-nob with the filmmakers, cast and crew at the private premier in Los Angles (travel and accommodations not included) + 2 special edition DVDs + all the $250 level gifts.
- $1000, we'll treat you and a friend to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in Los Angeles prior to the private premier (travel and accommodations not included) + 5 special edition DVDs.
- $5000, a one-of-a-kind, high-quality, framed 16x20 print from Matt Barber’s photo collection + all the $1000 level gifts + 5 additional DVD’s.
- $10,000, you get everything from the $5000 package + 10 additional DVDs + we will hand deliver the package to you, anywhere in the US. We will then have a rousing discussion on Sex, Christianity, and Society over dinner (ravel and accommodations included.)
- If there is something you would love for us to offer, send us an email at email@example.com and we'll see if we can include it.
Can I donate anonymously?
Yes. Only your username will show up on our website. When you register, simply choose something that doesn't identify you.
How are we doing this?
The film will be comprised of three interconnected segments:
- Interviews with ordinary people telling stories of their church experiences, and how these experiences impacted their sex lives (or lack thereof.)
- Interviews with pastors and theologians talking about what they believe and why, and how they communicate these ideas.
- Interviews with historians and sociologists outlining the paradigm shifts in the church, framing its modern teachings.
How do we contact you?
I want to share my story with you.
Great! We’d love to hear more about your life and how you might fit into the documentary. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Matt Barber, Chris Pack, and Brittany Machado.
That is still to be determined. But, we are hoping to finish in early to mid 2013.
YES! Once you donate to our campaign, you may want to change your incentive reward to a different one, or increase your pledge amount. Go to our campaign page and the green “Back This Project” button will have been replaced with a blue “Manage Your Donation” button (you may need to sign in). Click it and you can enter a new amount, or choose a new incentive.
Support this project
- (30 days)