A Dice Odyssey
Spice up your sci-fi RPG adventures with the mysterious HAL d20.01 and three gorgeous, easy to read, space-themed polyhedral dice sets.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Fri, December 14 2018 10:00 PM UTC +00:00.
The voyage is not over yet: some more rewards will be made available later today and tomorrow for the Grand Finale!
Stretch Goals unlocked:
- all rewards above €5 now include both a complimentary HAL d20.01 and a d6 (which might be a Sky's Edge d6 or a Purple Nebula fudge d6).
- the backers at €5 will receive a complimentary Sky's Edge d6 and a Purple fudge d6.
- all backers above €1 will be able to order additional Outer Space full sets in the pledge manager with a 25% discount, additional Purple Nebula full sets with a 15% discount, and additional Sky's Edge full sets with a 10% discount.
The iconic movie 2001: A Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubrick was the first to portray space in a realistic manner, only bordering into science fiction to suggest a fascinating hypothesis on the evolution of life in the universe: complex machines in the shape of Black Monoliths were dispersed in the cosmos by higher intelligences in order to advance civilizations, in our case inspiring ancient primates to use tools, and modern men to explore space.
This campaign is about the evolution of dice.
At first we had basic cubes with pips, then polyhedrals with numbers, and just recently a vast array of colors and effects, mostly using the same basic font. Since numbers are the voice of dice, today it looks like just a few actors are reciting all your adventures, despite being dressed in fancy clothes. Kubrick knew well how important it is to pick the right voice.
This is what the Black Monolith in the video brought us: a single d20 with a very special purpose, and a set design featuring a high readability space-themed font (inspired by the NASA old logo) in three versions:
- Outer Space white painted, solid color (blue+black)
- Purple Nebula silver painted, dark translucent (purple+black)
- Sky's Edge white painted, opaque translucent (5 layers: light blue to black)
The HAL d20.01 is a big 22mm d20 that appears completely emotionless by design - with no numbers, except for a 20 and a 01 (the dot) - in homage to the movie. It cannot be attacked, only defeated and deactivated. In actual games it can be used for "last chance" saving rolls.
- Sky's Edge sets are slightly translucent to show the silver glitter within, resembling a view of Earth from space.
- According to your feedback, Purple Nebula sets have less black and thus are slightly more translucent than the previous Purple Nebula d6, also with silver glitter. The manufacturing process is semi-manual, so each set is unique and might have some slightly more transparent or more opaque dice in it. This makes them even more effective in portraying actual nebulae in space.
- Outer Space sets are solid color and might appear to be dark blue, but in the sunlight or on dark backgrounds they reveal silver glitter stars and a rich sky texture. This higher contrast version of the design works well in low light, and complements the other two in portraying the vastness of space.
- The HAL d20.01 is fully transparent with zero bubbles, and is red painted gold to remind the HAL computer interface from the movie.
Limited Rewards > Faster Fullfilment
Making dice molds is a delicate and expensive process, but thanks to the support of all previous Gio Lasar Design backers and customers it was possible to finance their production, and even to manufacture a first run of all three sets, that you can get right now.
This explains why this campaign is short, the goal is low, and all rewards are limited: there are enough sets for less than 1000 backers (the previous campaigns had 600).
If they sell out and there is enough request, more will be manufactured eventually according to pre-orders in the pledge manager, but that will take a few months since these are resin dice made with a slow, semi-manual process. If demand is low, they might not be reprinted and this run would remain a limited edition.
Any profit will be again invested in more original designs for 2019.
The New Dice
Please note that these dice are not easy to photograph as they look different depending on lighting conditions. You might want to take a look at the video down the page to appreciate them better, or search Instagram for #aDiceOdyssey.
In addition this campaign will see the last appearance of the few remaining Northern Sky / Southern Sky Constellation d6 couple from the 2017 campaign. You can get them through the Collector's Bundles.
Add-ons and Stretch Goals
Additional sets should be claimed in the pledge manager after the campaign, in order to avoid overbooking, and because their price might be discounted during the campaign by reaching Stretch Goals.
The discounts will help to balance any further shipping fees based on weight: shipping costs paid through Kickstarter are in fact set to the bare minimum to ship the rewards internationally. Additional items will gradually increase the weight, and shipping fees will raise accordingly (this has been done to avoid charging higher fees up front).
€ 3500 GOAL
€ 7000 25% discount on Outer Space full set add-ons
€ 10500 FREE d20.01 (€5 value) for rewards that include a full set
€ 14000 15% discount on Purple Nebula full set add-ons
€ 17500 FREE d6 (Purple Nebula or Sky's Edge, see chart below)
€ 21000 10% discount on Sky's Edge full set add-ons
Still to be unlocked:
€ 24500 ... Grand Finale: you will be gifted €1 of pledge manager credit for each full set included in your reward. Collector's reward will count as 5 full sets.
Only the rewards above €1 will get you discounts and bonus dice:
- The bonus dice have been pre-assigned in order to speed up fulfillment and to complement each reward, so no changes will be allowed.
- Discounts will only apply to the extra sets purchased as add-ons.
- The most convenient way to get all sets is to select the Trilogy reward while available.
Bonus items in Deluxe Collector's Bundles
These items from third parties are included in the campaign as their aesthetics was directly inspired from the Constellation Dice project, and are available in the Deluxe Collector's Bundles only (10 of each).
- The bags are handmade and subject to a waiting list, so they will not be available in the pledge manager - but you can still contact The Book Of Craft for more.
- The dice trays by All Rolled Up UK are printed in small batches and a few more will indeed be available in the pledge manager. They are 205mm square (8") and made from quality printed neoprene - similar to a trading card game playmat or a mouse mat. Plastic snaps on the corners allow you to pinch the edges to create a tray to soften the clatter of dice and contain your rolls.
- The pictures above are for illustration purposes only (no dice included).
Family, Friends, Dice Maniacs Club administrators and members, and all the previous backers and customers who made this possible.
Risks and challenges
Looking forward to a short fulfillment time, and a minimum amount of issues, all the profits from the previous campaign and its online store were invested in a custom mold and in the manufacturing of a limited starter run of sets. If this campaign is super successful, another batch will be manufactured and be ready around May 2019, otherwise these might remain a limited edition.
This is your chance to get what you like right now while saving on shipping costs, and to support the production and distribution of new original designs. As a backer, you will be able to order even more of the readily available sets through the pledge manager, before the online store for any remaining sets is open to the general public.
Your credit card will be charged at the end of the campaign, and then again in late December / early January if you order add-ons.
The fulfillment will begin in January, after the pledge manager is closed.
All rewards will be sent UNTRACKED unless specified or agreed in advance.
- All gone!