Learn more about Storm the Castle! the board game at GiantGoblinGames.com.
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR MAKING STORM THE CASTLE A RESOUNDING SUCCESS!!!!! Check out our project updates and facebook page for more info on STC post Kickstarter.
THE FINAL HOURS ARE UPON US!
**FINAL HOUR UPDATE: Unlocked 50 more Screaming for Vengeance Pledges - hurry and pledge before they're gone!
*We're so close to hitting some final stretch rewards. Check out our marketplace below for some great add-ons, like extra dice, card sleeves, dice bags, and more!
**Be a part of Storm the Castle! at our Goblin Scribe and Giant Goblin pledge levels and still score all of the great stuff at the Screaming for Vengeance pledge level!
***BONUS: As a special thank you, everyone who pledges for STC and our next KS game receives an exclusive promo card for that game (see project updates).
1. Before you pledge: We've got a nice graphic summary of pledge levels below. Check out the "Screaming for Vengeance!" pledge for the ultimate package and savings - only 800 available and they're almost filled!
2. NOW EVERY CARD HAS FULL ART! WOOOO HOO!!
3. Check our Project Updates for more updates, card previews, videos + more!
4. .Update: Preview rules,videos, reviews & more on BoardGameGeek.
We were just featured on Geek and Sundry's show, On the Table.
Everyone who pledges at $55+ qualifies for stretch rewards we unlock. Please share Storm the Castle! with others on Facebook, Board Game Geek, etc., to unlock more rewards.
100k - We'll reveal the 2nd Mercenary Unit for the Dark Forces - the Samurai Cook!!! (In Progress)
90K - Promo Fantasy Defender Event Card (In Progress). With "A Change in the Air", players will face one of the most potentially devastating event cards ever created. Nothing is for certain when this card is revealed - invaders beware!!! (note final card will have full art).
85k - 4 New units! (REACHED!) Everyone receives 4 new Dark Force units (1 from each Dark Force army) to strengthen their inglorious cause! As a bonus, a plastic tray component organizer has been added. This will be large enough to hold sleeved cards!
SPECIAL 70k Stretch Goal: TOTAL ART! (REACHED) Each card in STC will have unique art and upgraded card stock! Check out our BGG page for how cool that would look.
65k - Exclusive Boss Burst Die (REACHED!) - When you're the Boss in STC your the head honcho. Roll with pride and let everyone know who's in charge! Color will be either silver or black. The other side will show the "hit" icon.
60k - Special 7th Reward (REACHED!) - Everyone receives 3 new Dark Force promo cards and strategy guide!
55k - 6th Reward (UNLOCKED) - The Dark Force's are expected to fight until the bitter end (or until their daily stipend of gold runs out). Unlock the power to give your enemy a final gift from the beyond.Unlock the "Screaming for Vengeance" boss promo card (check out the card image &commentary on our BGG page).
5th Reward (Unlocked) - Thanks to everyone who voted. Everyone gets an exclusive and new promo Arcanist power card.
4th Reward (REACHED) - Unlock STC's first mercenary champion the Demon Monkey Ninja. Hailing from parts unknown, the DMN can be hired by any of the Dark Force players, if the price is right, to wreck havoc on the defenders. Includes the game piece and reference card. < full color pic coming soon>
3rd Reward (REACHED!) - Invaders you were caught! Now the Fantasy Defenders (FD) are patrolling the 4 battlefield locations (+2 gold, +2 magic, etc). 1 new event card with Mounted Dawn Patrol unit. Game play: When this event is drawn, the Dawn Patrol will help aid the peasants as it moves to a different Battlefield location each turn. The invasion just got harder!
2nd Reward (REACHED!) - The Wood Elves have arrived to help the Fantasy Defenders! 1 new defender unit (the Wood Elf Sniper) w/ reference card and playing piece. Game play: This deadly sniper will fade in and out of the battle making it harder to defeat while gaining a first strike even against other ranged units.
First Rewards (REACHED!): 2 heroes (The Arch Priestess and Holy Paladin) + castle wall mounts for all!
Finally a game where it's GOOD to be BAD!
Welcome to world of Storm the Castle!, a 1-4 player (you can play solo) semi-cooperative game, where you take the exciting role of 1 of 4 different marauding Dark Forces armies, in a race to breach Castle Storm Haven’s defenses and enter its mighty keep first.
Players have only 8 turns to slug their way through its nigh-impenetrable forces. If the Dark Forces are unsuccessful, the Fantasy Defenders (comprised of chubby Halfling Archers, Musketmen, Dwarven Pikers, armored Warrior Knights, and fireball hurling Battle Mages), will be victorious in repelling back the vile invaders.
Why get Storm the Castle!? - If you love a good challenge, close games, strategy and depth, managing resources, lots of laughs, variety, humor, close rolls, lot's of choices without "brain burn", and slaying revolting peasants then you'll love Storm the Castle!
Choices and Depth! Players have a wide range of choices to customize how they want to play. Do you buy cheap pawns to throw against the castle walls or summon devastating siege machines and lumbering giants that cost more? Or will you equip strange equipment or use arcane magic to turn the tides of battle?
A host of choices await players, including: managing magic and gold, what to buy, where to move, what to buy, which cards to use, where to strike, and much more! This gives the game a unique flavor giving players a different game each time played without "brain burn".
Storm the Castle! is not a heavy rules game. It's actually quick and easy to learn yet developed to give depth to the game mechanics. This allows for players to use a host of card and ability combinations, along with unlocking the subtle strategies the game offers. Players will also have minimal to no down time, as players will be activating the castle's defenders, resolving event cards, and strategizing on other player's turns - your always in the action!
We developed the game to be humorous and challenging that can be played within 1.5 - 2.5 hours. Setup is quick and easy! Storm the Castle! is semi-cooperative which gives players a sense of uncertainty if their "allies" are going to help or hurt them. Many times you'll work together and sometimes you won't! Included are family friendly rules for kids and variants to decrease the playtime and difficulty. We designed STC to appeal to a wide audience with different tastes. You play the game how you want to!
There are no "run-away" winners. Players who may seem to be doing horribly can make a winning move from out of no-where. Keep your eyes open for those sneaky players!
DiceTower's Tom Vassel's Video Preview:
First time player video reviews from the iCon convention.
A quick video on an overview of the turn (note: components are prototypes)
Game component overview video
Check out MORE videos on our Board Game Geek Page
All pledges include US shipping. International backers please see shipping costs in the Goblin Hatchling pledge level to the right. Save even more with multiple copies.
Get 4 beautiful wall papers for your computer. Ponder the meaning of life and plan your next invasion while gazing at these beauties.
Get Storm the Castle! in all its bloody glory and ALL stretch rewards we hit + all from Goblin Hatchling. Save $10 of retail, and get it before it hits shelves.
Get Storm the Castle! in all its bloody glory. Includes all stretch rewards we hit. You'll also receive 8 new promos. 4 Fantasy Defender event cards and 4 Dark force power cards (1 from each army). Includes everything at Goblin Gamer.
You'll get all of Invader and our first mini-expansion "Hardcore Nights" (see expansion info below). Includes 4 bonus promo Boss cards, signed upon request. You'll also receive the full color/final PDF rules first, and your game ships before anyone else!
Only 800 available and they're almost gone! Save $10 and get everything at the Warchief level, which includes a new mini-expansion 2, "Darkness Rising". Your copy will also be personally signed and numbered by the designer in gold ink. Backers at this level will receive a special video made for them to get a head start on their tactics.
Includes everything at Mighty Invader + includes the new mini-expansion 2, "Darkness Rising!". This get's you everything Storm the Castle! has.
Get everything at Warchief (+ your copy will be signed and numbered) and you'll work with us to create the flavor text and/or name of a power, magic, event, or boss card. You'll be specially credited in the rules for being part of the game development and be specially credited so everyone knows what you did.
Get all of Warchief (+ your copy will be signed and numbered)! You'll work with us to design a power card, boss card, event card, castle building, or battlefield upgrade used for this KS project. You get to shape how a card functions in the game and be specially credited so everyone knows what you did.
Get all of Warchief (+ your copy will be signed and numbered) and you get to be in the game to be immortalized forever! We'll use your likeness from a photo or a concept you have to be used as one of our heroes, champions, or units in the game and specially credited so everyone knows what you did.
For those who REALLY want it all. Get all from Warchief x10! That means 10 of everything, including stretch rewards. You'll also get all our games and future promos FREE for life! We'll make a unit based on whatever you want, that only you will have. This will be unique artwork and playing pieces just for you. The first signed numbered copies of STC will be reserved for you. You'll also get x10 T-shirts, a poster of your unique unit, x8 posters, exclusive Fantasy Defender draw bag, stickers, first sneak peak at our upcoming games and be part of our feedback and play testing. You'll receive a custom soda/beer holder with your hero's art on it and the STC logo to show off to your gaming buddies.
Get all the Giant Goblin Boss + the designer will travel to your home/game store (in the US) and run at least 2 games of STC. You'll help us come up with the flavor text/names of some of the cards, help design new cards, and help us develop the next Dark Force army. Beat the designer for an extra reward. We'll bring a bunch of swag (posters, stickers, draw bags, t-shirts etc) for you and your friends, order the best pizza and buy you any game at your local gaming store (up to $100). We'll have a brainstorming session for new expansions/units/races and discuss the new games coming from Giant Goblin Games and play test them. You'll also get 1 of our original prototypes signed by the designer. Contact me for traveling international.
Hardcore Nights: With a new deadly Fantasy Defender hero, the Dwarven Anvilsmasher, expect ale and brawn to merge into a deadly force against the invaders. This exciting expansion include: new hardcore, tournament and alternate rules, the Dwarven Anvilsmasher Hero with tokens & card, new powerful alternate stats for the Fantasy Defenders w/ reference cards, 4 new magic spells for the Fantasy Defender's casters, 1 new mysterious castle building token and event card, and 4 new and challenging Fantasy Defender events. <pictures coming soon>
Darkness Rising: To counter the Fantasy Defenders reinforcements in Hardcore Nights, the Dark Forces will call upon even more sinister powers. This expansion includes: 4 new Dark Force Battlefield Upgrade locations with tokens and cards (1 for each army), 4 new Dark Force power cards (1 for each army), 4 new Boss cards and 4 new Fantasy Defender events. Includes new rules for alternate ways to win! <pictures coming soon>
Both mini-expansions will be made available to the public 3-6 months after the game releases - Kickstartres get em' first. Save money by getting them on Kickstarter.
Check out our preview rulebook. Each game turn is wrapped up into 6 phases. To avoid writing a lot of text here, a simple break down is given:
1. Collect: Players collect gold and magic and draw 1 of their power cards. Gold and magic is very limited so players will have to make smart choices in how their used.
2. Who's the Boss: Players bid on who will be the "Boss" for the turn. The Boss has access to unique Boss cards giving them powerful benefits.
3. Turn Order: Players will determine their turn order. The Boss draws 2 turn order tokens, chooses 1, and puts the other back. Remaining players draw a turn order token. Sometimes you'll want to go first, sometimes last, and sometimes somewhere in between.
4. Let's Buy and Deploy Things: The Dark Forces will buy and deploy their units, ladders, and buy extra power cards. You can even deploy on other player's battlefields!
5. Fantasy Defender Reinforcements: Each turn the castle is reinforced by its Fantasy Defenders. One defender is added each turn except on turns 4 and 7, where 2 are added. Event cards to be drawn this turn are determined by how many intact castle sides remain, plus 1. Some surprise elements can add more event cards and defenders! It will behoove the players to smash down these walls quickly!
Event Cards allow the defenders to attack the Dark Force's, rebuild walls, pour burning oil, unleash knightly charges, gain courage, raise castle buildings (such as a wizard's tower, church, armory, or dwarven engineering guild), etc. Players control how these events are resolved and who is targeted, meaning it will always be in your best interest to resolve these against players who seem to be doing a little too well in the game.
6. Player' Turn: Before the first player takes his turn, the first event card is drawn and resolved by another player. The first player then begins his/her turn. Each army gets a total of 5 army moves with each unit. Each unit may move up to 2 spaces with each space taking away 1 of the 5 army moves the player has. Player's can attack, play power cards, climb ladders, play Boss cards, capture battlefield locations defended by peasants to gain bonuses, and much more as they try to overwhelm the castle's defenders.
At the end of the first player's turn another Event card is drawn and resolved by another player. The next player starts his turn but with the event cards now being drawn at the end of that and subsequent player's turns.
7. Wrap Up: Players discard down to 3 cards. Fantasy Defender units unflip and the highest Onward March event card is reshuffled into the event deck and the game turn marker adjusts. Onward March cards are what activates the defenders to move and attack.
HEROES RISE! In the game, a mighty goodie-to-shoe hero will rise should the player's get to close to winning. The Hero is mean and nasty and is tough to take down. The game includes the Wizard Lord, Archpriestess, and Holy Paladin.
Storm the Castle! comes with 4 playable Dark Force armies, each with their own strengths and weaknesses and unique power card decks. Which will you choose?
The Dark Elves: Masters at long range combat and treachery. Great ranged units, but weak on melee attacking.
The Green Tide: A loose tribal alliance of goblins, giants, and orc pirates. Strong at melee battle and strange technology such as "rocket boots" and the famous "pirate ale". Great at brute strength, but units cost a bit more.
The Arcanists: Wielders of forbidden magic and steam punk monstrosities that fuse metal and magic. Amazing magic powers and interesting abilities, yet field many weak front line units.
The Undead Horde: Zombies, Ghost Fiends, Skeleton Warriors, Necromancers, Skull Battering rams and they use dark magic - nuff' said.
You get a whole lotta' game with quality components and great art!
Check out our component video overview on BGG
1 Gorgeously detailed and huge game board.
88 Dark Force Power Cards (22 for each Dark Force Player).
8 Boss Deck Cards.
54 Fantasy Defender Event Deck Cards.
5 Fantasy Defender Magic Spell Deck Cards.
5 Reference Cards for the Dark Forces and Fantasy Defenders.
4 Custom Dice (1 Burst Dice and 3 Battle Dice).
1 Beautiful and Art Rich Rulebook.
35 Unit Damage Tokens.
25 Structure Damage Tokens.
10 Dark Force Equipment.
30 Gold Tokens.
14 Magic Tokens.
4 Battle Field Upgrade Locations.
4 Castle Buildings.
4 Player turn markers.
1 Game Turn marker.
16 Castle Walls.
22 Fantasy Defender Units (Including 1 Hero the Wizard Lord and now including the Arch Priestess and Holy Paladin as we hit a stretch reward!).
52 Dark Force's Units comprised of Dark Elves, Arcanists, Undead, and the Green Tide.
The game comes with 2 sets of rules (basic - for the little munchkins, families and those wanting a lighter game) and the standard rules where you can truly unleash your inner bad guy! The tokens in the game are thick and gorgeously detailed (similar to Small World).
Like something at "Da Market Place"? Simply add the amount of what you want to your current pledge! After the campaign we'll contact you.
MORE DICE - we recommend grabbing a set of our sweet faction battle dice and the faction burst set dice ($23 total). This allows for each player to have their own custom dark force dice. Or grab a set of 3 additional standard dice sets ($15). Its always nice to have extra dice to minimize passing it around. The Dice bag ($7) doubles as a draw bag for the game!
This 12 faction battle dice set does not include burst dice.
The women of Storm the Castle! posters:
Want both posters? Get them both for $17 and save and additional $1 off retail. These can be signed and numbered upon request by the game designer.
Grab both shirts for $31 (save $5).*Either shirt includes shipping with your pledge of STC. Otherwise please add $4 US or $10 International.
A sincere thank you to everyone who pledges and helps get Storm the Castle! made. We sincerely appreciate you all. It's been years of getting the game polished and perfected to bring to your gaming tables. It's a dream come true!
SHIPPING: US shipping is included at all pledge levels $55+. International orders please add $20 and +$10 for each additional copy at the time you pledge. Canada please add +$15 and + $8 for each additional copy. Check out our multiple copies (called hordes) to save more.
1. When will STC be released? March 2013 is our goal (hopefully sooner). We modified the date to account for the Holidays and the relaunch. If we hit a lot of stretch rewards me may have to push it back a little.
2. Are there expansions planned? Yes. We've got 2 mini expansions and 1 larger one that's almost finalized.
3. Does the game play differently with 1-3 players? The game scales perfectly as you decrease the number of players. Some slight rules changes occur w/ solo and 2 players.
4. Is the game hard to play and how long is it? No. Its actually fairly easy to pick up after turn 1 and then it just "makes sense". Though it takes at least 2 plays to start "getting" the strategies, card combinations, and different strategies to best employ. Your not mindlessly attacking a castle - you'll have to plan, manage, work-together, and use smart moves. STC is not a "heavy battle game" nor rules heavy at all. It's a fun game to pick up and play with lots of laughs and close games without the "brain burn". We're releasing hard core rules w/ the KS campaign which will add new rules to advance it past our standard rule sets for those wanting a greater challenge. Like any new game it takes a turn or two to understand the flow. After repeat plays you'll start grasping the subtle strategies and myriad of combinations to win. The game setup is very short 5-10 minutes and plays in about 1.5.-2.5 hours we've seen games go shorter and longer.
5. Are the Dark Force Armies balanced? Yes. Each of the 4 Dark Force armies have their own unique strengths and weaknesses with their units, power cards, and strategies. Before you play understand what your opponents (err allies) can do so they don't pull any nasty surprises out!
6. Is the game challenging? Yes, from a "winning" perspective. The castle's Fantasy Defenders are not push overs. They are deadly and persistent. The event cards drawn each turn will further add to the invaders misery as they have to deal with a myriad of challenges to overcome. Couple that with not knowing if one of your "allies" may be getting to jealous of you getting to close to winning. Included are family friendly rules for kids and variants to decrease the playtime and challenge. We designed STC to appeal to a wide audience with different tastes. You play the game how you want to!
7. But I want to play the Fantasy Defenders! Oh you do, do you? Well, you'll get no such thing with the base copy of Storm the Castle! you do-gooder. But...our first and next expansion will (classified by order of the Giant Goblin).
8.. Will new races be available? Absolutely! We're looking at several options now and will be asking for feedback from our fans. STC will be the gaming community's game!
Risks and challenges
Once the funding is successful, we'll get the game manufactured as quickly as possible with an anticipated release date of late March 2013 to allow some wiggle room in case it takes longer than expected. We're working w/ manufactures to get this to you ASAP. Depending on the amount of stretch rewards reached the date may be pushed back (i.e. to get new art etc). If miniatures are done for the game, we'll likely add several more months to this.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)