The Time of Our Lives
3PM PST Update on refund timing:
Kickstarter will process refunds for all eligible pledges within one week. Please note that it may take ten business days for the refund to appear on a backer's credit or debit card statement. In the event that the initial refund attempt is unsuccessful, steps will be taken to ensure all refunds are successfully processed. Once a refund is successfully processed, backers will receive an email from Kickstarter notifying them of the amount of the refund and the payment source refunded.
Anyone familiar with Team Pebble knows full well: keeping quiet isn’t our style.
We love sharing Pebble’s story with you—whether it’s a new product, fresh feature, or simply staying in touch online and in person. Aside from announcing Pebble’s 4.3 software updates, our silence over the past month was deafening and out-of-character—we’re sorry for that.
Today, we’re breaking that silence. Join us as we close one chapter and invite you along for what’s next. We hope to answer as many questions as possible here, in our formal announcement, and on our Support site.
Pebble is joining Fitbit
Fitbit has agreed to acquire key Pebble assets. Due to various factors, Pebble can no longer operate as an independent entity, and we have made the tough decision to shut down the company. The deal finalized today preserves as much of Pebble as possible.
Pebble is ceasing all hardware operations. We are no longer manufacturing, promoting, or selling any new products. Active Pebble models in the wild will continue to work.
Pebble’s expertise, philosophy, and culture will live on at Fitbit. Much of our team and resources will join Fitbit to deliver new “moments of awesome” in future Fitbit products, developer tools, and experiences. As our transition progresses, we’ll have exciting new stories to tell and milestones to celebrate.
It’s a bittersweet time, no doubt. We’ll miss what we’re leaving behind, but are excited for what the future holds. It will be important for Pebblers to extend a warm welcome to Fitbit—as fans and customers—sharing what they love about Pebble and what they’d like to see next.
Backers will get refunds for any unfulfilled rewards. After a successful crowdfunding campaign, we were excited to bring Pebble 2, Time 2, and Core to the world. We’ve since shipped every Pebble 2 possible, but can’t say the same for the remaining rewards. Pebble Time 2, Pebble Core, and Pebble Time Round Kickstarter Editions will not go into final production.
Kickstarter will refund eligible pledges by March 2017. ***PLEASE SEE NEW INFORMATION ABOUT REFUND TIMING AT THE TOP OF THIS POST***
- No further action is needed. Eligible backers will automatically be refunded their pledges for any unfulfilled Pebble rewards (Time 2, Core, Time Round), plus any shipping, taxes, or duties paid.
- The small number of Pebble 2 backers who did not submit the information required to finalize their reward shipments will also be refunded.
- Successfully-received Pebble 2 rewards are the only item not eligible for a Kickstarter pledge refund.
- Backers who ordered add-on Pebble devices to their Pledge Portals after the campaign closed may have seen a temporary authorization charge, which reversed automatically a few days later.
- Refunds are automatically issued to the payment card the original Kickstarter pledge was placed with.
- If the original pledge payment method is no longer active, backers must contact the financial institution that issued the card to receive the returned funds.
- Backers outside of the United States will receive refunds equal to the $USD amount of their pledges at current exchange rates. There will be no adjustments to account for exchange rate fluctuations between the original pledge payment and the upcoming refund.
- Visit kickstarter.com/contact with any additional questions.
Current Pebble Users
Active Pebble watches will work normally for now. Functionality or service quality may be reduced down the road. We don’t expect to release regular software updates or new Pebble features. Our new mission will focus on bringing Pebble’s unique wearables expertise to future Fitbit products. We’re also working to reduce Pebble's reliance on cloud services, letting all Pebble models stay active long into the future.
One-to-one Pebble support is no longer available. Any Pebble currently out in the wild is no longer covered by or eligible for warranty exchange. Users looking to troubleshoot their Pebbles can still visit our Help Portal and community resources:
- The Pebble Community Forum
- r/Pebble on Reddit
- If you have any other questions about Pebble’s wind-down of operations, please visit this page.
Those who ordered and received a Pebble from pebble.com are no longer eligible for return or exchange. That said, we are processing and refunding any pebble.com returns that were successfully completed with our Support team before December 7, 2016, in addition to refunding any items purchased from pebble.com which did not ship by this date.
Those who recently purchased a Pebble at retail may return their watches based on the retailer’s return policy.
Our developer community set Pebble’s wearable technology ecosystem apart from the rest. No other wearable platform was more open or gave developers more freedom to create, experiment, and delight the world with beautiful watchfaces, useful apps, and unique experiences. The Pebble Dev community set out to Make Awesome Happen, and they accomplished that beyond our wildest dreams.
Fitbit wants to Make Awesome Happen, too. Pebble’s successful approach to third-party wearable development is undeniable, and Fitbit is welcoming our expertise in this space wholeheartedly.
Developers have an exciting opportunity to reach and delight over 50 million users and counting. The Pebble talent joining Fitbit will help the company accelerate the launch of tools and resources devs need to enhance future Fitbit products with experiences that can take wearables to new heights of utility and appeal. If this opportunity excites you too, join us for the ride! The Pebble Developer Blog has more detail on how we're bringing Pebble's expertise in this realm to Fitbit.
Until Next Time <3
Our heartfelt gratitude goes out to each and every Pebbler for making awesome happen with us over the years. Our community is vibrant. Our community is passionate. You are what made Pebble special and worth fighting for, every second of every day.
We will always remember the love you showed Pebble, through thick and thin.