Dearest Friends, Family, and Random Strangers,
Nearly five years ago my head exploded. I think most of you this by now, but if you didn't, well, now you know. I'm OK, by the way. Or at least that's what the title of my book would suggest. Hey! Yes! I wrote a book! How cool. Wait, why are we here? Oh, yeah. OK so I wrote this book and then I pitched a solo show to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and they were like "let's do this!" which means I'm going to perform an adapted version of the book at the largest theater festival in. the. world.
Tally-ho! Wait, what does THAT mean? It means I'm going to be on a stage with a microphone doing something insane and crazy, and, oh, I'll be in Scotland, so that's pretty cool. If you follow me you know I like to do cool things.
It also so happens that THIS cool thing is a very expensive endeavor. Seriously. Look it up online, people spend like millions. Well, I'm not going to do that. But I would like to go to the festival and eat more than haggis and "crisps," whatever those are. I don't need to be fancy, but I'd at least like to avoid declaring bankruptcy.
This is where you come in!
You can help me fund the production of my solo show "I'll Be OK" at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival by backing this project for the following items I've budgeted for:
- A flight to Edinburgh, Scotland ($704.88 USD)
- Accommodations July 27-Sept 2 ($200 Euro staying with friend +$238 Euro Hostels = $438 WOW I AM RESOURCEFUL)
- Venue (FREE)
- Inclusion in Program ($328 Euro)
- Fringe Society Registration ($10 Euro)
- Flyer and Poster Design (~$100 USD)
- Flyer and Poster Printing ($300 Euro, OK this one I have no idea because I could print a lot or a little, it really depends!)
- Flyer and Poster Distribution (This will be me, probably in my brain costume to attract attention so totally FREE)
- Production Photos (already have some nice ones but if anyone is offering $150 USD)
- Tech Hire ($50, I basically just need someone to hit a light switch a few times)
- Set (A chair and a microphone, wow so meta!)
- Props (Probably shipping my brain across the country, how much do you think that will cost or should I just try to bring it with me on the plane and see what they think about stashing my brain in the overhead bins? ~LOL~
- Rehearsal space (I'll probably just find a quiet corner to practice in on the street?)
- Food (Oh yeah! Haggis and crisps ~$20+/day for 37 days = $740)
- Director (I'd like to hire one, ~$500)
- Insurance (What?)
- Contingency (Had to Google this, but it's advised that you add 10% of your sum budget to the total just in case like you get hit by a bus or something terrible, please see "Insurance", ~$332)
- Total: $3,652.96 (daaaaaang, gurl!)
Yes, I know. That was a lot. And I'm probably forgetting something but HERE'S THE DEAL, KIDS: I truly believe that my mission in life is to share this story, by any means necessary, to as many humans as possible. Why? Because it's inspirational and awesome and I really don't want to get a desk job, OK?
The book has already had such a crazy huge impact and the fact that I'll be traveling internationally to share this story is a massive undertaking, but ultimately something I think the universe has willed to happen. So I'm going to listen to the universe. And I hope you do too.
Your donation will allow me to creatively explore my story on the stage and impact thousands of viewers at the world's largest festival! Not only that, but wouldn't it be cool if this show made it's way to Broadway? Just a thought! You donate enough and I just might make it a musical! Watch out Hamilton!
I'm going to launch the first segment of this Kickstarter with a goal of $1,000. If that goes well, I'll relaunch with a new goal, etc. etc. I'll be giving out special "Rewards" to my lovely donors, ranging from personalized books, social media shout-outs, and even a big box of awesome "Brain Swag" or a chance to be on my podcast "Mimi and The Brain!" Isn't that amazing!
Risks and challenges
Risks will be not making my goals of fundraising. This could lead to me taking out a loan or maybe trying to sell a kidney. I plan on overcoming this goal by communicating this fundraiser to as many friends and family as I can, giving them a chance to be a part of it, and generating excitement for the show's premiere. I also plan on performing it once for an exclusive "preview" and last fundraiser at the end of the summer in NYC.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)