A Pound of Flesh is a toolkit for building your own run-down, back-water, black market space station for the Mothership Sci-Fi Horror RPG. And all in a compact zine format.
A Pound of Flesh is a brand new module for the Mothership Sci-Fi Horror RPG. It's largely centered around the notorious space station, Prospero's Dream, a grimy and sprawling outer-rim black marketplace where mercenaries and raiders rub elbows with spooks and slickscreen stars. The Dream is a cramped city-sized criminal haven where anything can be bought or sold and any crew can find well paying work (if they're willing to get their hands dirty). Written by Donn Stroud and others, with art & layout by Sean McCoy.
We've built this dark corner of the universe for you to slot into your Mothership (or any other Sci-Fi RPG) campaign, and we've filled it to the brim with nasty NPCs who we've armed with weapons of mass destruction, and then pumped full of illegal stimulants. We think you're gonna like it.
But there's a lot more to A Pound of Flesh and Prospero's Dream than meets the eye.
With APOF you'll have access to easy-to-use generators for quickly populating your sector with your own dingy space stations and seedy backwater outposts. In just a few die rolls you'll be able to throw down a unique space station and then find out what kinds of trouble lies aboard (with a cool mad-lib style generator. Yes, mad-libs).
We also did a podcast episode about it that you can listen to.
Mothership is a sci-fi horror roleplaying game that places a huge emphasis on being easy to run but difficult to beat. It uses a simple d100 roll-under system similar to Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and the Basic Role Playing system. It's incredibly easy to hack to meet your table's needs (increasing or decreasing the difficulty as necessary to create a fun and challenging time).
You play as one of four classes: Teamster, Android, Scientist, or Marine, and then customize that class to your liking with a branching skill tree.
We wanted building characters to be easy so we put all the rules for character creation right there on the character sheet. With a game this deadly it's important that players are able to get right back into the action if their character dies. And why is it so deadly? Well, aside from just taking damage (from, you know, like, a scalpel wielding void raider) your characters also accumulate Stress which builds up until something terrible happens (like oh, you know, seeing your crew mate get ripped in half by the thing that just crawled its way out of the airlock), after which you'll make a Panic Check. If you roll poorly your character could be inflicted with awful conditions ranging from chronic night terrors to permanent phobias to full on psychopathic rampages!
Trust us, it's fun.
If you want to check out the system the PDF of the Player's Survival Guide is Pay What You Want on DriveThruRPG. Take a look and let us know what you think. We've also got a great Discord server with an awesome community full of people ready to answer questions and help out with anything you need.
A Pound of Flesh is jam-packed with content ready to plug-and-play as soon as you get it. We have a penchant for cramming as much content as humanly possible into our Mothership adventures, and APOF is no different. It contains:
- 48 page zine in 2 colors, printed in a limited edition format. We're really excited about this zine and we're going to try out some cool experiments with the format during printing.
- Prospero's Dream: a complete, ready-to-play location with over 10 sections (including: an opium den, mercenary company, cage fighting arena for strange creatures, and more), a dozen NPCs, and adventure seeds for taking missions onboard or outside the station.
- Equip your characters with entirely brand new weapons and interesting drugs with fascinating effects.
- An entire section devoted to Cybernetics and how to use them in your game, their cool effects and devastating cost (I mean, it's Mothership, what did you think they were gonna be like?)
- A generator for building your own space station on the fly. Give your players a place to rest, refuel, find work, and get into a little trouble after only a few d10 rolls.
- Dozens of patrons, jobs, and unique encounters which make the Dream come alive as you get to know it over time.
- And more!
There are three pledge levels for this campaign and we're pretty excited about all of them.
- $5 PDF Only: Get the PDF version of A Pound of Flesh and access to any digital only stretch goals that we unlock.
- $15 Print + PDF Bundle: Get A Pound of Flesh in both print and PDF as well as all Physical + Digital Stretch Goals that we unlock.
- $45 Mothership Mega Bundle: Get the Print and and PDF versions of A Pound of Flesh, as well as the Print + PDFs of the Mothership: Player's Survival Guide and our very first module, the critically acclaimed Dead Planet. You also get all the Stretch Goals (physical and digital) that we unlock and the limited edition Lucifer-1 patch.
Whoa! We unlocked every stretch goal we had planned for A Pound of Flesh. This is absolutely going to be the best version of A Pound of Flesh we can possibly make. Thank you all so much!
If you want to know more about Mothership, check out these reviews. We also have a few actual plays that you can listen to:
We'll be using Backerkit after the kickstarter as a pledge manager, which will give you an opportunity to pick up extra copies (like say of the print version of the Player's Survival Guide) if you want. Additionally, we ship customs friendly to: the US, EU, Canada, Australia, and China.
Risks and challenges
The book has a solid draft written and is currently being polished, playtested, and laid out for final release. Depending on the final format of the book and which printer we decide to go with, there may be some back and forth about the final files. But broadly speaking, this isn't a super complicated Kickstarter project. That being said, any project can face delays due to personal events beyond our control, and if that happens, we ask that you bear with us and know that no matter what happens -- we will always get you your game and always at the highest quality we possibly can.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)