HOYO allows you to keep your smartphone & music players within arm's reach while enjoying your shower or dirty work.
Our smartphone became our clock, our music player, our connection to the whole world, our control to gadgets around the house (like baby monitors, door bells, light switches, security cameras...). So why not have your next shower with your smartphone in sight, within your hands reach whether you decide to use it or not...just slip it in and take your shower. It is always there like towel hangers ready to be used part of the bathroom.
Why not keep it within your hands reach safe from water splashes and easy to grab, touch or swipe? why not if you can?
Our dream is to equip every bathroom with HOYO:
- An affordable waterproof pocket that is always there ready to be used
- An essential accessory to the bathroom like towel hangers and soap dispensers.
- A pocket where we could tuck in out any smartphone in a second
- A pocket that gives us full control over our smartphones or music players while we shower
Easy access from dry zone, full control from wet zone. Access opening on the other side of the curtain, perfectly safe from water splashes. No lid is required.
HOYO is a 100% water- and dust-proof smart pocket with a new twist. It protects your phone in harsh and humid environments while giving you full-touch control over your mobile or music player. Hang HOYO on your shower curtain, bathroom wall, kitchen or work site at all times. Tuck your mobile in every time you decide to take a shower, prepare a meal or get in gear to take on that hard dirty job – at the factory, garage or field.
HOYO - the companion of every shower curtain. Come water, grease or dust, your mobile is safe, connected and playing your top tunes.
What can I do with it?
Our favorite usages
- Listen to your favourite tunes straight from your mobile phone or music player
- Get your daily dose of news headlines while enjoying your early morning shower
- Watch a 15 min Youtube video or a TED talk. You never know,your next shower might change your perception to the world
- Discover couple of cool Kickstarter projects while in the shower
- Keep your phone in sight and decline calls for the first time with a message saying "I am in the shower. Later..."
- Keep an eye on your phone clock not to stay long in shower
- Keep an eye on your connected baby monitor or security camera
- Swipe, pinch or tap your phone screen with wet and dirty hands
- It's never been that fun, that colourful
We can't wait to see how different backers will end up using HOYO. You can use HOYO, if you are bound to one location and you are in need of your smartphone, like in the kitchen, garden, garage or workshop...
Who's it for?
Anyone who wants to stay connected and his hands are wet or dirty. Keep your smartphone within your hands reach. You never know who might call or text or what might the upcoming notifications bring...
Where to fix HOYO?
A. On the shower curtain
- 1. Clip the cutting kit on the shower curtain, one piece from each side
- 2. Use any cutter knife to cut through the slits to form a circle
- 3. Place the pocket holder into the hole and twist the closing nut
- 4. Tuck in and out your smartphone....every time you want to shower
Tucking in and out your smartphone is just as easy as opening and closing your shower curtain. HOYO is the companion of every shower curtain.
B. On any ceramic wall, glass panel or mirror
- 1. Fix the suction cup on any smooth surface
- 2. Tuck your mobile in and out...every time you want to shower
- 3. Twist the lid easily to seal the pocket
C. On a perforated glass curtain
Order a tempered glass curtain with a hole to replace your old one and HOYO would still fit in perfectly. It's a major task not many will dare do it but it is worse all the effort.
The advantage of doing that is keeping your glass curtain while benefiting from the same advantage when fixing HOYO on the shower curtain - having the access opening in the dry zone while the pocket and smartphone are in the wet zone. Without the use of a lid, your smartphone is perfectly safe from water splashes.
- 1. Order a tempered glass panel, 8 or 10mm thick and ask your glass manufacturer for a 110 mm diameter hole at the level and location that suits you best
- 2. Fix HOYO in place by placing the pocket from inside and twisting the closing nut from outside
- 3. Tuck your mobile in before you get into the bathtub
Gold & Chrome finishes will blend in perfectly with your bathroom accessories.
HOYO consist of :
- 1. A pocket holder ring which is inserted in between the two layers of the transparent pocket. This threaded piece from outside and inside is the heart of HOYO. It will hold the pocket and all the pieces together.
- 2. A rubber seal that is placed between the shower or glass curtain and the closing nut.
- 3. A closing nut that will close on the rubber to seal back the hole in the shower or glass curtain.
- 4. A watertight lid that is equipped with an O-ring preventing water from entering the pocket. It is designed intentionally like a jar lid to be familiar to all users and really easy to open and close.
- 5. A waterproof pocket that is a crystal clear see-through. You could easily swipe, pinch or tap your mobile screen.
- 6. A strap fully transparent like the pocket that will hold HOYO to the suction cup. It is removable if you decide to hang HOYO on the shower curtain.
- 7. A suction cup that will hold HOYO on any ceramic wall, mirror or glass panel or any smooth surface.
Shower curtain cutting kit
Pocket holder + Closing Nut + Lid
Suction Cup + Strap
As long as your smartphone is less than 100mm in width and 165mm in height, it would fit in perfectly.
How it came about
My hunger for online daily news specially tech news on CNET, Mashable, endgadget, Techcrunch, TED, Bloomberg, BBC, Kickstarter…made me reach for my smartphone every single time I have a free minute or two to read and learn about new inventions.
The shower was one of the best moments where I can get an extra dose of the latest news uninterrupted before I get to work or close my day.
I used to lay my iPhone away from water splashes near the shampoo bottles and run a video until I bought a waterproof pocket. However, the hassle of putting in and out the smartphone everyday made me stop using it and just place the iPhone away from water splashes like usual.
Can I design something better? A pocket that I would use daily every time I decide to have a shower?
The pocket needed to provide:
- an extremely easy and quick access to your device
- a full control to your touch screen
- a full protection against water splashes
The main concept behind HOYO
The shower curtain is only separator in the bathroom between the Dry Zone and the Wet Zone. If we place HOYO on the shower curtain, access from one side, pocket from the other, we would be able to drop our smartphone in while in the Dry Zone, use it when in the WET ZONE and pick it up again when our hands are dry in the DRY ZONE.
What to call it?
A short memorable name that makes sense. We never knew that we would find a cool name that is so related to the concept behind the pocket. This smart pocket leaves a HOLE in every shower curtain that it touches. The spanish translation of "HOLE" is "HOYO".
Th first idea of HOYO was born in June 2013. We started drafting the first sketches.
Shower curtain cutting kit design
Without an easy way to punch a hole into the shower curtain and sealing it back by clipping HOYO in place, HOYO could not have come to life.
We've cut the first prototype with laser from acrylic sheets and gave a try.
My architectural studies and electro-mechanical knowhow that I've gained from working in water features helped me a lot in the design of HOYO. I've joined forces with independent entrepreneurs and engineers to finalise the design of HOYO and manufacture the first prototypes. We focused on making it very affordable, durable and extremely easy to use.
We've built all the elements in 3d and worked on the smallest and tiny details to give HOYO the shape that will help it blend in easily with bathroom accessories.
We've started crafting the first prototypes using turning and milling machines.
We have refined HOYO's design. We've worked a lot on the grip design of the lid, the O-ring seal of the lid, the hand grips of the closing nut, the shower curtain cutting kit, the watertightness when clipped to the shower curtain and most of all on the total weight of HOYO.
We've finished the design and built the first pro types that allowed us to test and experience HOYO. We believe that HOYO is an essential accessory to every bathroom. HOYO is the first-generation waterproof pocket of its kind for smartphones everyone will need to stay connected to the world as they shower.
You are the key to our success
With your help, we will:
- Convert our prototypes to production-ready models
- Manufacture the molds to produce HOYO in quantities
- Create test methods to insure watertightness of all manufactured items
We are so excited of what we've accomplished so far and we can't wait to see HOYO in your hands.
Help us spread the word to put an HOYO in every bathroom.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Obstacles might arise in production, depending on the factory’s production pipeline and component availability. But with the backers in mind, we are confident that we can overcome these obstacles. We are dedicated to products design and we truly believe that we can design and manufacture products that will enhance people's experience.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.