SWING MAKES YOU HAPPY!
SWING MAKES YOU HAPPY!
"Swing Makes You Happy!" - the new double CD album from one of NYC's top Swing Jazz Big Band - The George Gee Swing Orchestra!!
"Swing Makes You Happy!" - the new double CD album from one of NYC's top Swing Jazz Big Band - The George Gee Swing Orchestra!! Read more
The double album Swing Makes You Happy! brings you; Volume 1, The Swing Set, featuring the jazzy swing of signature versions of swingin’ Big Band standards with emphasis on the hot, lindy hop rhythms of Chick Webb and Count Basie; and Volume 2, The Jazz Set, spotlighting the swingin’ jazz arrangements and original compositions of David Gibson, Music director and Trombonist. The lush tones of singers Hilary Gardner and John Dokes are also featured.
“George Gee is no doubt the torchbearer of the Big Band tradition for future generations” – NEA Jazzmaster and Count Basie arranger Frank Foster.
“……...the swingin’est band in the LAND!” – original Savoy dancer and Lindy Hop Legend Frankie Manning.
Hi, I’m George Gee and I’m the bandleader of The George Gee Swing Orchestra (“GGSO”) here in New York City. My love and passion for the music was developed growing up here and I take it with me wherever the band travels, spreading the happy Gospel of Swing all over the globe.
I started the band during college in Pittsburgh over three decades ago, where we were swingin’ before a unique mix of old timers, college students and punk rockers. Since that time we have grown into a signature NYC swing ambassador to listeners and dancers of all ages all around the world. We’ve come a long way baby and with your help we’re ready to make the leap into the future with our double album set (30 tunes) of swingin’ Big Band Jazz!
Our album is titled Swing Makes You Happy! simply because it’s true. Count Basie, a dear personal friend and mentor, taught me that it takes happy people to make happy music. That is the essence of the GGSO and our influence on our audiences. It is impossible to listen to these songs without a smile on your face, the snap of your fingers or the tap of your feet. For some, it’s imperative to get their whole bodies out on the dance floor and have a dance “conversation” with the music. Whether you’re a band member, a listener or a dancer, your troubles melt away when the band starts jumpin’. We hope you take a little piece of that joy away with you after every live show and each time you listen to our album.
The GGSO is a living, breathing entity that’s constantly evolving and growing. Our mission is to honor the swingin’ BIG BAND sound and its creators, as well as give voice to modern, yet eminently danceable compositions featuring the arrangements and original writing by the band’s highly-regarded Music Director and Trombonist David Gibson. You can hear us every week at our long-running residency at NYC’s SWING46 Jazz & Supper Club in Times Square.
WHY IS OUR KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN SO IMPORTANT?
The GGSO has evolved into an amazing group of virtuosic musicians who bring their individual joy and swing to contribute to the collective energy. Each of these musicians brings with them a rich collection of experiences that power the engine of the GGSO to make something truly unique. It is imperative to capture the exquisite musicianship and passion of each band member right now. As an ensemble, we create the happiest, most swingin’ vibe in the true spirit of the music, giving us a firm place in swing history.
(Find out about the family of musicians involved with the recording project!)
WHY DO WE NEED YOUR HELP?
Producing a recording is a HUGE undertaking....especially when it's a BIG BAND as well as a double CD. There are LOTS of professionals who will be contributing their skills to the 3 phases of making an album.
PHASE 1: Pre-Production (getting everything ready) – In addition to creating accurate transcriptions of jazz standards, our musical director has composed, and continues to compose, ORIGINAL arrangements and compositions specifically for this project. We have 13 musicians who will tirelessly rehearse every piece destined for the album (plus some alternates) to be at the top of their game during production.
PHASE 2: Production (recording) – Those 13 musicians will spend an intense three full days and nights playing each track in whole and in part over and over again. We KNOW their talents deserve to be rewarded. In addition, those 3 days will include a recording engineer and an assistant engineer making sure all of the mics and computers are wired/working/placed properly so that all of our sounds will be perfectly recorded.
PHASE 3: Post-Production (mixing, mastering, CD creation, promotion) – We'll then have a mixing engineer who will spend hours with David Gibson making sure the recording sounds exactly like the band you expect to hear. Each song can require from 1-3 hours of individual time, so imagine the large investment of time 30 songs will require. Then, we'll have a mastering engineer spend even more hours making sure our recording will sound great on the radio, or a stereo, or a DJ system, or on a pair of earbuds! A graphic designer will then use their artistic vision to create the look of the finished album and a manufacturer will make the actual CDs. Finally, we'll have some additional professionals get the word out to the industry that SWING is ALIVE and the GGSO is representing this music at a very high level.
As you can see, there will be a LOT of professionals contributing their expertise to ensure that we have a recording that is representative of the excellence we expect. That means many incredible people will spend many hours working for US. As mentioned, this is a HUGE undertaking and we could really use YOUR help.
THANK YOU FRANK AND FRANK
Frankie Manning always loved dancing to Frank Foster's "Shiny Stockings" and we are humbled to have been on the receiving end of love from both Franks. We dedicate this recording to their quintessence and memory. Their strong spirits are with our every downbeat and they will be there with us in the recording studio. The connection is clear.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST!
We must meet or exceed our goal of $45,000 by our deadline or we will not get any of the pledge money and you won’t receive any of the rewards. We need you to help make Swing Makes You Happy! a reality.
Thank You for helping us make the world a little bit happier. From me and all the cats, BE HAPPY and keep on swingin’!"
The album release will be amid the celebration of The Frankie Manning Centennial (“FM100”) during Memorial Day Weekend 2014 in NYC. Pledge now and you may pick up your copy during our featured performance at FM100 on Saturday, May 24th.
HOW KICKSTARTER WORKS
There are two ways you can take this journey with me and the cats:
1. You can make a pledge. On the right of your screen, you’ll see various pledge levels named for selected song titles of Swing Makes You Happy! Pledge rewards include:
• autographed, advance copies of Swing Makes You Happy!
• Hilary Gardner’s holiday album, delivered in plenty of time
• studio exclusives and VIP admissions
• have Hilary or John croon a dedicated love song at SWING46 on Valentine’s Day
• hand-written thank you notes and phone calls
• fried chicken at Roscoe’s in Hollywood before the “Battle of the Big Bands”
• be Executive Producer or Benefactor of Swing Makes You Happy!
• photo with George Gee and the band at The Frankie Manning Centennial
• invitation-only CD Listening and Release Events
• 1-to-1 jazz summits with bandleader George Gee and music director David Gibson
• swing dance lessons with top lindy instructors Lainey Silver and Daniel Newsome
• tickets to a world renowned swing dance camp
• and many more
2. You can also spread the word. Tell your circle of family, friends, lindy hoppers, big band enthusiasts and music lovers about our project. Talk it up old school with face-to-face enthusiasm, but also use email, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn and all the other cool sites out there (even MySpace!). Help spread The Gospel of Swing that Swing Makes You Happy! will bring to the world and beyond…
What Your Pledges Will Go Towards:
• musician’s wages and catering, musical transcriptions and arrangements
• rehearsal space and 3 days of recording studio rental
• post-production (mixing/mastering)
• CD duplication (6 panel, 2 tray, digipak with 4 page booklet)
• print and radio promotions, mechanical song licensing
• videography, copy writing, graphic design and artwork
• shipping/handling and promotional printing
George Gee Album Samples
Swingin’ Live – 1997
Buddha Boogie – 1998
Swingin’ Away – 1999 (Frankie Manning's 85th Birthday Party at Roseland Ballroom)
Settin’ the Pace – 2004
If Dreams Come True – 2007
Unreleased MP3 Tracks
Dawn Hampton’s “The Push”
“Shufflin’ n’ Rollin’”
“Run Rudolph Run”
Acknowledgement And Appreciation To:
Joy Grad for her co-writing, editing and assistance in the management of this campaign
Jay “Jason” Lee for his videography talents
SWING46 Jazz & Supper Club
Dance Manhattan Studios
ZORT Music, Alan Sugarmn
Lynn Redmile Photgraphy
Kevin Yatarola Photography
Risks and challenges
If we're lucky enough to reach our goal, the next step is organizing our recording session. Here’s what happens:
1. We synchronize the schedules of 15 people and set dates for three days of recording.
2. Once the dates are set we go into the studio and lay down the 30 tracks live over the course of the 3 days.
3. If all goes well and the computers cooperate, we move on to mixing the recording. At this point, David Gibson and our mixing engineer go through all 30 tunes with a "fine-tooth comb" to make sure every note is audible and balanced to sound just as pure and exciting as one of our live performances.
4. Once the mixing is complete, we hand the audio portion of the project to a "mastering engineer". This person is a kind of sonic regulator who polishes the audio further to make sure that there is an evenness to the recording on any kind of audio playback, i.e. house/DJ system, car stereo, home stereo, headphones or earbuds.
5. While the mastering engineer is doing his work, we have a graphic designer create the cover art and liner notes.
6. Once all of this is complete, we send the project off to a manufacturer to make the CDs.
7. If computers and schedules cooperate, we'll be armed with a great recording to share with everyone! Now is when we spread the word that we’ve produced some exciting music. Marketing folks the message out to radio stations and magazines, send physical copies of the recording to hundreds of people and follow up with multiple email and telephone conversations to ensure that these folks take a LISTEN and experience the magic.
We have access to amazing musicians, engineers, designers and promoters and feel confident that we have plenty of time to meet our deadline. But, that will depend on the consistent cooperation of all the folks involved....and did we mention the COMPUTERS? In advance, we thank you for your support and patience!
- (30 days)