Thank you to all our wonderful backers for making this campaign a success!!! Once this campaign ends, find all the latest information about PeaceMakers at www.GenMindful.com.
The research is in --- for children to have success and joy in life, it takes more than academics. It takes emotional intelligence.
Fostering mindfulness and compassion in our children in today's fast-paced world can feel (incredibly) difficult. As a mom of four, and a parent educator, I know parents feel overscheduled, overstimulated, and just plain overwhelmed.
At the same time, I know how important taking time to nurture emotional intelligence is for our children, helping them learn to manage big emotions, connect with others, form healthy relationships, and more.
In this high-tech world in which we live, people are looking for simple, meaningful ways to slow down and simply connect. How can we work valuable social and emotional learning experiences into everyday life in a way both children and adults can look forward to?
PeaceMakers provides a concrete way for parents and educators to engage with children and foster social and emotional skills, commonly referred to as emotional IQ or "EQ". PeaceMakers is a game for kids, and an invaluable tool for parents, because what parent doesn't want less whining? Fewer tantrums? Or to encourage empathy, self-expression, and self control in their kids?
This 42-card deck of affirming messages builds emotional intelligence in as little as five minutes a day, and comes with seven(+) ways to play.
Based on our first round of game testers (100 families and educators), 2 to 10 year olds and 25 to 45 year olds are our biggest fans.
PeaceMakers shape our thoughts, and our thoughts shape our words, feelings, and actions, applying age old wisdom:
PeaceMakers build all four components of emotional intelligence:
Connecting with children via PeaceMakers is simple, easy, and...FUN!
Inside each box you will find:
- Three welcome cards introducing you to the deck's seven themes, and offering ideas on how to use PeaceMakers with children.
- Seven adult cards with a single, more advanced message per theme, this mini deck is ideal for teens on up, and will further introduce you to the deck's seven themes. Adults working with tester decks shared that this mini deck helped them to remain calm and to respond instead of react to their children, especially in times of stress.
- 35 cards for all ages with five affirming messages for each of the deck's seven themes, simple, yet powerful enough for all ages.
Flip a PeaceMakers card over and you will find a message inspired by one of seven themes, along with an animal friend you and your children will adore.
Stretch Goals and Bonuses:
Playing With PeaceMakers:
Let's take a look at the cards in action with Gabe here. First, Gabe's mom mixed up the blue cards and held them up for her son. Gabe (excitedly) picked one and studied it for a while as seen here, before handing it to his mom saying, "Read it, read it!". (If you have more than one child, each child can pick a card.)
Here are three cards from the deck. This first card is the one Gabe drew:
Next, Gabe's mom read the message aloud. Gabe repeated his mom's words all on his own, saying loud and proud, "I AM GENTLE, POWERFUL, AND FREE!!!" as his little body bounced with joy.
Gabe's mom said "What do you think about that?" and Gabe went right into telling a fun story inspired by the card, involving a certain powerful red bear pooping in the woods. After laughing their heads off, Gabe's mom took the opportunity to mention how Gabe uses "gentle hands" with his baby sister, naturally reinforcing this behavior by simply noticing it. Not by praising Gabe, or by criticizing him. Simply by noticing. Gabe asked if he could pull another card, and so he did...a silly orange fox card, which led to some singing and dancing. I'll share the video in one of my Backer updates lol. Pretty entertaining stuff. (I only wish I had the bear pooping in the woods video.)
When you play with PeaceMakers, you can be sure that no matter what emerges, it will be priceless.
Who Are PeaceMakers For Again?
PeaceMakers is a game designed for use at home and in the classroom for all ages. And when we say all ages, we mean all ages:
- We have tester families with newborns that loooove reading the cards to their little ones at bedtime each night.
- We have parents of pre-reading children using the cards to help their children navigate the frustrations/communication challenges that often come with being a toddler. These families report many-a-tantrum have been avoided because of PeaceMakers.
- We have parents of 4-6 year olds whose children are using the cards to play/work on things like reading, sorting, matching, storytelling, and memory as well as building EQ. These parents tell us that their children have no idea that any "work" is being done.
- We have a pre-K through 8th grade school using the cards with all ages successfully. They tell us the cards are also being used by the educators themselves, to inspire playfulness and mindfulness in their approach to the day and what/how they are teaching.
- And we have tester families that gifted decks to their parents (aka grandma and grandpa) who reported the game was received with open arms. The playing card that reads: "Mistakes help me learn and grow" even sparked some great conversations between them. This message about how we as human being actually learn, through trial and error, was not commonly taught to generations gone by. Thankfully, due to the research efforts of pioneers like Dan Siegel, Carol Dwek, Daniel Goleman, and Bruce Lipton, understandings like this based on solid brain research are making their way into into today's parenting and educational practices. PeaceMakers can be the "spark" to transformative conversations like this one with our spouses, in-laws, childcare providers, children, and more.
In summary, PeaceMakers are simple enough for the youngest of children, but powerful enough to inspire the oldest and wisest among us as well.
Who Am I And Why Would You Back Me?!
A great question! I am a wife, mom of four, a physical therapist for over twenty years, and a parenting educator with a focus on bonding and early attachment. I homeschool our 13 year old daughter, a middle schooler who loves self-directed learning almost as much as she loves gymnastics. I'm a fan of coffee, yoga, and ignoring the laundry whenever possible.
I'm am a huge fan of the Reggio Emilia and Montessori approaches to learning. Three of our children go to Reggio inspired public schools. (Child led, experiential, play-based learning? Yes please.)
My husband, also a Physical Therapist, and I started a holistic outpatient rehabilitation center 14 years ago in our hometown of St. Louis and he still runs it. I work from home and teach weekly baby massage and mindful parenting classes in my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri. THIS IS MY BLISS.
More than anything else, I love to help people connect. My message for parents (ahhhhem, myself) is for us to trust and accept ourselves, imperfections and all, even as we strive to learn and grow, because our children don't need "perfect" parents but imperfect parents that know and love themselves anyway. I've been sharing about my journey to trust and accept myself as a mom on My Mommy Manual since 2008. I wrote a Facebook post about this very thing last month and it went viral. Almost 11 million views, confirming how so very not alone I am when it comes to being equal parts amazing and flakey.
I am here on Kickstarter because I'm interested in creating a community of people from all walks of life that value the things Generation Mindful stands for.
...and I'm hoping this community includes you.
Our mission is to build emotional intelligence playfully, connecting the generations and nurturing mindfulness and compassion. Together we can get connection-based EQ building tools into the hands of parents, educators, and children all over the world.
Use these hashtags wherever you play online. Let's bring Generation Mindful and PeaceMakers powerfully into the world.
Thank you. xo Suzanne
Risks and challenges
I have a printer and a warehouse/distributor lined up to manage as few as 500 decks and as many as 50,000+...so fullfillment is "in the bag".
I will not be addressing these boxes to you from my kitchen table, I PROMISE!!! I've enrolled a team of talented professionals and we are ready to roll. Our rewards are simple, our designs complete, and my printer is local (yay for made in the USA!!!), so our expected delivery date of late April/May is solid. The main challenge I see with this project is getting the word out, and this is what led me to Kickstarter.
I'm hoping in this grassroots way, we can take GEN:M's message of the importance of play, and nurturing children via connection to the world.
I believe in this project with my entire self, but the risk this project has is that it remains important to me alone. GEN:M needs a community.
Let's do this thing. xo SuzanneLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)