Periodic: A Game of The Elements is a strategy board game designed around the periodic table of elements, as well as some of the most fundamental principles in chemistry that can be derived from the structure and function of the periodic table.
2 to 5 players, 40 to 60 minutes, Age 10+
In Periodic, you activate periodic trends (such as "Decrease Atomic Mass" or “Increase Atomic Radii”) to strategically maneuver across the periodic table, “discovering” elements to score points.
But that’s not all… You must also couple “discovering” elements with ending your turns in specific families of elements, like Noble Gases or Transition Metals. This allows you to move up the Academic Achievement Track in a race against other players for the limited spots, and additional points, at the end of the track.
On your turn, you choose between two actions. You can either:
(1) Pay energy to activate multiple trends. The first trend costs 1 energy and each additional trend costs 2 energy. For each trend, move your flask up to 5 spaces in the direction allowed from the specific trends you've activated.
Playing energy to active trends lets you move your flask multiple times, meaning you can move further and hopefully collect multiple elements.
(2) Take all the energy sitting on a single trend but you only get to activate that one trend. Then, move your flask up to 5 spaces in the direction allowed from the specific trend you've activated.
Once you've paid energy or taken energy, the goal is to end each of these trend movements on available elements, allowing you to “discover” those elements. This is one of the main ways players score points.
Elements available to be discovered are shown on the Goal Cards (four stacks, ranging from easiest to hardest, are located above the game board). On each Goal Card are a number of elements that share similarities in their properties, uses in industry, occurrence in nature, etc. Each of the elements on these Goal Cards will be marked on the game board with a cube, signalling to players that it is available that round.
When a player is the first to discover all the elements on a single Goal Card, they’ll also be rewarded with the Award Tile just above that stack. These tiles give players things like free movements, additional actions or even more energy.
There is also an Academic Achievement Track which players are competing to race up in order to acquire a limited number of points at the end of the track. To move up this track, players must end their turn in specific families of elements, like Noble Gases or Transition Metals. This means players are trying to maneuver their Scientist Flask in such a way that they couple “discovering” elements with ending turn in specific families of elements.
I am very proud to announce our partnership with Ediciones MasQueOca to release the Spanish version of Periodic, as well as Subatomic, Ion, Covalence, Virulence, and Peptide! If you want a Spanish version of Periodic, you don't need to do anything now except become a backer at the reward level you want. Then after the campaign we will ask you if you want the English version, or the Spanish version (In the Pledge manager).
About Ediciones MasQueOca: They are one of the most relevant publishers in Spanish, Portuguese and Brazilian languages. They are based in Spain, and have published more than 80 games including Hannibal & Hamilcar 20th Aniversary Edition, Camel Up, Study in Emerald, Conflict of Heroes, Concordia, Keyflower, etc.
Please note: Ediciones MasQueOca is responsible for shipping Spanish language games. The estimated shipping cost is: (During the campaign the cost is $15 and the exact amounts will be added or refunded in the pledge manager after the campaign)
- España (Península y Baleares) o Portugal: 7$ por el juego PERIODIC Edición en Español y $7 por cada juego
- España (Canarias, Ceuta o Melilla): 13$ por el juego PERIODIC Edición en Español y $13 por cada juego
- Norteamérica (USA y Canada), Centroamérica y Sudamérica (incluyendo Brasil): $40 por el juego por el juego PERIODIC Edición en Español
*Los packs que incluyen otros juegos distrintos a Periodic NO incrementan el coste de transporte. (Ejemplo: el Chemistry Bundle pack solo cuesta 7$). Si tienen cualquier consulta por favor contacten en Kickstarter@masqueoca.com
The Collector's Edition of Periodic will also include:
- Game Box will be upgraded with 3D embossing
- Game Box will be upgraded with shiny metallic paper on cover
- Game Box will be upgraded with each Collector's Edition copy individually numbered
- Award Tiles will be upgraded with with shiny metallic paper
- Point Tokens will be upgraded with shiny metallic paper
- Metal Coins will replace the Energy Tokens
Want EXTRA copies of Periodic or our other games? If so, simply add the amounts below* to the total (pledge + shipping) of your current pledge level:
- $29 for each additional Standard copy of Periodic
- $39 for each additional Collector's Edition copy of Periodic
- $89 for each additional Chemistry Bundle
- $99 for each additional Collector's Edition Chemistry Bundle
- $159 for each additional Science Games Bundle
- $169 for each additional Collector's Science Games Bundle
* NOTE: These are the same amounts as the pledge levels without the additional shipping costs. These costs INCLUDE the cost of shipping for each additional copy you wish to add.
Do you want 6 or more copies of the Standard Edition or Collector’s Edition of Periodic for your game group, to save on shipping (especially for international backers), or just to give away as gifts?
For a pledge of $159 plus shipping, you will receive one case (6 copies) of Periodic: A Game of the Elements.
For a pledge of $219 plus shipping (same shipping cost as a case of the standard), you will receive one case (6 copies) of the Collector’s Edition of Periodic.
If you would like more than one case of the Standard Edition or Collector’s Edition, simply add just $159 for each additional case of the Standard game and just $219 each additional case of the Collector's Edition game.
Play through the fundamentals of chemistry with Ion and Covalence AND Subatomic! For a pledge of $89, you will receive 1 COPY of Periodic, PLUS, 1 COPY of Subatomic: An Atom Building Game, PLUS 1 COPY of Covalence: A Molecule Building Game, and 1 COPY of Ion: A Compound Building Game.
Play through some of the fundamentals of chemistry AND Biology with the Science Bundle! This bundle includes Ion, Covalence AND Subatomic from the Chemistry Bundle and adds Cytosis 2nd, Peptide and Virulence!
For a pledge of $159, you will receive 1 COPY of Periodic, PLUS, 1 COPY of Subatomic: An Atom Building Game, PLUS 1 COPY of Covalence: A Molecule Building Game, 1 COPY of Ion: A Compound Building Game, 1 COPY of Cytosis: A Cell Biology Game (2nd), 1 Copy of Peptide: A Protein Building Game, and 1 Copy of Virulence: An Infectious Card Game.
Check out Genius Games for other Science Games!
Risks and challenges
All projects have some level of risk, and ours is no different. In an effort to reduce the overall cost of production (and ultimately lower our funding goal) we are continuing to work with the same overseas manufacturing company we did with all of our previous games including Linkage, Peptide, Ion, Covalence, Virulence, Cytosis and Subatomic. We've had a great experience working with them and are excited to continue building on our connections.
Our turnaround for delivery will be similar to our previous games as we continue to feel out the process with the manufacturer's representatives. We do not expect delays, but anything can happen half a world away just as it could domestically. We rely on our suppliers just as you rely on us, and hope for a relationship of mutual understanding.
Music used in the video:
Song: Fredji - Welcome Sunshine (Vlog No Copyright Music)
Music promoted by Vlog No Copyright Music.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/cKoTJl4srrM
- (30 days)