Give your kids the comfort they need! Geleeo is a cooling gel pad that works like magic to provide a gentle cooling effect, without prior refrigeration. Just put it on your stroller before heading out, and Geleeo will stay a few degrees cooler than the ambient air.
I'm the mother of a little girl, Mia, and we live in New York City, where summers get brutally hot. When out on her stroller, Mia would be sweating all the time and quickly become uncomfortable and cranky. It’s no surprise, as stroller fabrics trap heat and provide no relief to kids who sometimes spend hours on it.
I tried every currently available option on the market. “Breathable fabrics” don’t work much at all, and ice packs are freezing to the touch, uncomfortable to sit on, melt in an hour and need you to plan ahead and freeze it for hours before going out. I was very disappointed and became obsessed by the thought of finding a good solution.
After several years of research, sourcing and product development, I invented the Geleeo pad.
What's Geleeo Pad?
Geleeo is a high-tech cooling gel pad that’s safe, easy to use, stylish, and convenient. It does not require refrigeration: just keep it at home, put it on a stroller before heading out and your kid will enjoy a cool ride. It fits virtually all brands and models of strollers, and is easy to clean and maintain.
How does it work?
And the most amazing thing about this gel is – it delivers the cooling results effectively and independently, without the need for electricity or prior freezing. Geleeo consistently stays cool and can dissipate body heat for hours at a time, enough for most casual strolls out of the house. It’s made to be used on a daily basis and can stay effective for years.
Geleeo was carefully designed to meet the needs of kids and parents alike. I spent months studying potential materials that could be used, and testing them thoroughly with a group of friends. Yes, that means spending hours sitting on prototypes myself, submitting them to brutal tests in ovens, exposing them to the sun for hours, and so on… I selected the safest and most effective gel, the one that makes Geleeo so unique.
As a parent, I also wanted to make sure Geleeo is:
- Safe to use, even in the unlikely event of the fabric ripping. The gel and the pad have passed safety tests for the US and European markets
- Convenient and flexible. Geleeo was tested to make sure it fits on most brands of strollers
- Comfortable. I tweaked the thickness of the pad to find the best compromise between size and comfort. The gel not only cools, it also provides gentle cushioning
- Stylish. I worked with a French product designer and the manufacturer on many iterations until I was satisfied with an elegant design and 2 color variations (pink and blue) for the initial launch, with more colors planned for the future
Influential bloggers and media had great things to say about Geleeo. It was featured on KTXD47's MetroMom show, the MomFluential blog, and DailyMom. We demoed it at the 2013 ABC Kids Expo and at the 2014 NYC Toy Fair, to great feedback from distributors, buyers and parents from all over the world!
To find out more about Geleeo, go to www.geleeo.com
What's the story behind Geleeo?
Geleeo went through a number of design iterations. The first prototype delivered the cooling effect, but was bulky and didn't hold well on strollers. Through a series of nine design iterations, the following improvements were made:
- Better grip on strollers to ensure the pad stays in place
- Refinement of the shape, to ensure it fits all major brands of strollers
- Optimization of the thickness of the pad, to find the right balance of effectiveness and weight
- Tweaks of the design elements, from the Geleeo logo to a discreet red lining and a few color variations.
I carefully evaluated and selected a manufacturer, with whom I worked through these several iterations based on testings and feedback from parents. At this point, Geleeo is a finished product that is ready for mass production. We need extra funds to ramp up the production, inventory, and distribution! We need you help to get this product out to the hands of parents, so many children can be benefited by it.
Why should you fund this project?
So far, this project has been self-funded with family savings. Product development, prototypes and patent application cost a lot of money, so I’m hoping to raise additional funds to cover the ramp up of production and distribution. My goal is to have Geleeo available in the US on time for the summer months, and to do that I need to raise awareness of the product, produce enough inventory to fulfill the demand, and pay for the services of experts to us build a healthy business. Here is what you can expect once the Kickstarter campaign ends and you've secured your pad:
- The initial order will be finalized with the manufacturer, who is ready to produce and ship Geleeo pads
- Once the shipment clears customs, it will be stored in a warehouse we've identified on the West coast
- Pads will ship from that warehouse to backers via USPS. The whole process is expected to take about 30 days.
Now you know all about Geleeo: It’s a new, innovative product that works great, is low maintenance, safe, eco-friendly, stylish, and convenient. And kids love it! You can be the first to receive a Geleeo pad with your contribution to my project. Thanks in advance!
Risks and challenges
As with every product design project, risks exist and we have to manage them. With the completion of prototypes, I feel confident that the product works as intended. The main risk lies with manufacturer performance, and whether they can produce the required quantity and quality of Geleeo pads. My mitigation plan is to:
* Work closely with the manufacturer. I will be taking my 3rd trip to visit them this month, and I will personally inspect the quality of products
* Involve independent testing agencies to ensure the quality of prototypes, which I've already done and will continue to do as needed
* Finally, investigate alternative manufacturers, so I can have a fallback plan if this one doesn't work out or if I need additional capacity in the future
- (30 days)